JDs Tenure Up Until This Point - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Sep 27, 2023.

1. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

This fucking baffles me. These guys get paid millions of dollars to evaluate football players for a living and do it all day every day. That pick should have cost us his rookie season ONLY. I get that, you have to give the kid some time. BUT, he was hurt in college, hurt his 1st year, and hurt in the preseason of his 2nd year. When he got hurt in the preseason, that is when they should have legitimately started looking at an exit plan. The trigger should have been pulled for a 4th or worse as soon as possible after that, and he should have been outright released after last year even if they had to eat a dead cap number and a huge helping of crow.

#81 Jets-N-Terps, Sep 27, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

pass protection has been fine for the most part (especially last week) The run blocking has been shitty, but is that also due to no threat in the passing game....

3. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

People comparing him to other gms is like comparing Zach Wilson to seisman or Boyle comparing shit to more shit. Is that a consolation prize that he may be better than a lard of shit but still shit? Even if Aaron rodgers somehow comes back next year and everything goes right we ain’t going to the Super Bowl and after he retires we are back to square one again with no franchise qb no offensive line and morons running this organization

JohnnyJet and TheAustrian like this.
  4. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I don’t see how you could say he’s done a good job. I can see defending the idea of not firing him yet, but to say he’s done a good job is maybe more a reflection of low standards of Jets fans. Compared to Idzik and Maccagnan JD has done a good job, sure. Compared to the other 31 GM’s, not so much. He had 3 horrific drafts, one great one. He was given the opportunity to rectify his abomination of a draft pick in Zach Wilson by handing boatloads to an old HoF caliber QB, the easy way out. In turn he holds onto his prized abomination of a QB for no good football reason at all. He did it for his own pride, same as he did thinking the OL would be fine with his prized Becton 2 years in a row now. He’s stubborn and because of it we’re fucked because Zach Wilson is our QB. Again, argue that he shouldn’t be fired yet, I can see that. But calling him good.. that transgression will not stand, man.

5. Jets-N-Terps

James Hasty, ouchy and SOJAZ like this.
  6. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I believe he wanted to keep SAM, could be wwrong but that is what I remember.

7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

The team personal overall is better. Having said that, 20-46, speaks for itself. His HC is 12-25,

For me that is the bottom line...

JohnnyJet and TheAustrian like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

zach got 2 years and then JD pulled the trigger on trading for a HOF QB. he recognized zach wasn't it and got us a legit QB. you can't blame him for rodgers getting hurt. People act like JD said zach is great and did nothing to address the QB position. he didn't do that, he went out and got rodgers

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I kind of can blame him for Rodgers getting hurt because of how he screwed up the OL. (Yeah I know Brown was supposed to do a cut block on that play, and Rodgers needed to get the ball out, but that wasn't a good cut block.) But regardless, what I can definitely blame him for is doing nothing after Rodgers got hurt. After what happened with Zach last year, it was obvious there was a possibility Zach would implode. Bring in a veteran; if Zach is legit, it shouldn't bother him, and if he's not, you still have a way to win the Patriots game.

10. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

JD has gotten such a pass from this fan base due to some of his genius trades and hitting on some draft picks(Odds are in your favor when you're picking top 10 every year)
    Lets also mention he completely blew the most important pick with ZW

He is also the beneficiary of being the better of the two previous GMs who were flat out horrible.

Even before the season, he was getting the media credit for what the roster looks like in 2023 compared to 2019-2020. One injury, and the roster now can't win games(I want to be wrong)

All Joe Douglas has been is hype- with no results. I hope he turns it around, but I am tired of the talk.

How can anyone defend anyone in this organization at this point?

JohnnyJet, stinkyB and TheAustrian like this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

There is a very strong argument this current iteration is worse:

https://x.com/benbbaldwin/status/1707020402138939394?s=20

JohnnyJet and KY Jets Fan like this.
  12. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Any other organization, he would've been fired by now, ya he hit on some draft pics, but Jesus when you're drafting in the top 5 every year, I get it's a total rebuild, there's been no progress???

Sad thing is, who the fuck do they bring in, they've failed every time, I can't remember the last HC who held players responsible, Al Groh , bill Parcels, but at least they had balls.

The future isn't bright, Id rather build a team around a QB, but we don't have 1, it going to be brutal, from here on out, God save us all

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, the thing we have to remember is this:

Rebuilds do not take a long time in the NFL.

The league is designed for parity. It's designed to make it easy for bad teams to become good very quickly. It's good for the product if there are as few consistent losers as possible. Successful rebuilds, assuming a good coach and GM are hired, take 1-2 years. That's it. A 5 year "rebuild" isn't a rebuild, it's an extended failure enabled by an incompetent owner who doesn't realize it has failed.

Our root issue is that we hire bad GMs and coaches. Good GMs and coaches do not take nearly this long to get results.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Just about every post here is beating around the bush and nickel and diming with minutiae; there's only one answer here and it is an objective one, not a collection of subjective yada, yada, yada. The won - loss record of Joe Douglas is very clearly one that is BAD! That's all that matters. He not only bought the groceries, he hired the chef.

JohnnyJet, SOJAZ, JetDan and 2 others like this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The bigger question now is "Where is Joe Douglas?" I asked this earlier in the week because I have not been able to find a single word from him the entire month of September. Isn't it time he came out of hiding to discuss his plan for the future?

SOJAZ and IDFjet like this.
  16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Bye week and end of the season. Just how it is every year.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Right, so he kept Zach with 2 years left on his contract with Rodgers clearly stating he’s playing for at least 2 years. At that point Zach has no use on the team. You’re developing him to be a FA, that’s just stupid. As a backup he’s useless, so why keep him? We should have cut him the moment Rodgers signed and then sign a quality backup. JD didn’t because he has too much pride to just fucking admit he whiffed

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Douglas absolutely whiffed but he probably saw how much money would be tied into the QB position with Rodgers Zach and then a backup who probably wouldn’t have played unless something catastrophic happened. If Rodgers missed 2-3 games with a sprained thumb or something, maybe he thought Zach could keep them afloat. Big miss but that was probably his reasoning.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Jets-N-Terps

BUT, he is still on the team and FUCKING STARTING!
    He should not even be here after being the worst in the league for 2 full years. They should have recognized that they are wasting their time with him and flat out released him if no one would trade a 6th or 7th for him. The idea that Rogers could turn him around is laughable. If Rogers helped him a become a bottom 15 backup, that would have been a huge accomplishment.

JohnnyJet, SOJAZ, Ralebird and 2 others like this.
  20. Jets-N-Terps

Again, awful reasoning and more proof that Joe Douglas is closer to bad than good.