JDs Tenure Up Until This Point - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Sep 27, 2023.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Please don't make me spike my coffee on a Wednesday.

JohnnyJet, REVISion, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  2. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I’m absolutely disgusted reading that as well. I did spit out my chocolate milk

JohnnyJet and REVISion like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've cooled in my previous belief that Douglas as a good - if not great - GM. At this point the team should be better than it is after 4 years under his control. The main issues with the team's failure stem from a still struggling OL, the lack of a healthy FQB , a still struggling HC & CS. These are foundational problems that shouldn't still be issues. Measured on that basis he ought to be fired, along with Saleh and the rest.

But frankly, I'm sick and tired of rebuilds. And this last one was the first true "tear down to the studs" rebuild they've done, so it was always going to take more time than any previous attempts. I'd prefer to keep Douglas at this point, but if Saleh doesn't improve, and the offensive planning and execution doesn't improve, he needs to fire Saleh, Hackett and the rest and hire an offensive HC, preferably one who has been successful as a HC either in college or the pros. IDK right now who that list might have on it, but if the Giants continue to struggle badly, maybe Daboll becomes available.

Another possibility that might work is to find and hire a proven winner who would come on as President of Football Ops to oversee Douglas and everyone else. Someone with a deep background in building successful offenses. Maybe Andy Reid would be willing to do something like that of he wins another SB.

Bottom line: I really don't want to start over from scratch, but clearly it's insanity to simply keep doing the same thing over and over.

SOJAZ and Jets79 like this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It seems like people are finally coming around to what I've been saying about him for the last couple years.

5. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson had 2 years on his contract when Rodgers signed and committed that he’s here for at least 2 years. Right then and there it’s 1000% clear you have to cut your losses with Zach. There’s no future to develop him for, he’ll be a FA when Rodgers leaves so wtf we’re developing him for the rest of the league? A GM with a little bit of fortitude would have seen the writing on the wall, sucked up his mistake and moved on for the betterment of the team. Instead JD is like an anal hair clinging desperately to the dingleberries of shit he calls draft picks.

JohnnyJet, SOJAZ and SackRecord99 like this.
  6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I really want to see Saleh with competent QB play. It's so hard to evaluate him when the dude is trotting out the 2nd worst ranked QB of the last decade.

SackRecord99 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

can't use it as an excuse or crutch. A big part of coaching in the NFL is developing or getting the most out of your QB.

8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The only way the offense would be competent with zach would be to run the wildcat and exclude him from it. He isn't a top 64 qb in the league. Quite frankly, he shouldnt even be in the league. Thats on Douglas more than saleh IMO.

SackRecord99 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah I mean the Steelers started Mason Rudolph/Devlin Hodges in 2019 and went 8-8. They had bad QB play last year probably on par with ours and went 9-8.

I would be more into Saleh if I ever saw the guy adjust the defense. If we have a tough half, we trot out with the same defense in the second half.

REVISion likes this.
  10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I think JD has done a good job as GM. He has, through the draft and signings, brought in many talented players. 80% of the Jets problems can be traced to poor QB play. I don’t blame him for Wilson. I feel that’s 100% on Saleh. When he came here, Saleh had a choice between Darnold and Wilson, he chose the wrong one. To be fair, JD has made some mistakes like the Robinson signing last year and not having a decent backup QB. A lot of the players who wanted out weren’t stupid. They knew without a competent QB the Jets we’re going nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Agreed, but even a guard that dominates wouldn't have been worth the trade up in our situation. A good OL is mostly about having no glaring weaknesses.

Two average guys and one dominant and one terrible guy average out to the same skill level between them, but having the two average guys is much better for an OL. The dominant guy isn't going to stop the terrible guy from getting lit up.

We should've kept the AVT picks, stood pat, and taken two OL. There are multiple guys starting in the league right now who were available at our original picks before the trade up.

Trading up is almost always stupid, it just is. No GM is as smart as they think they are. The only way to "beat" the draft over time is by having more picks.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

When drafting players, the buck stops with the GM. And it would be strange for a defensive head coach to have the power or desire to overrule the GM on a quarterback decision.

13. HackettSuxTNG

"Chocolate Milk"..... sure.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  14. HackettSuxTNG

I still like him better than Adam Gase.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I disagree. I feel any coach coming to a team without an established QB would want the ability to chose his guy. The coach is the one responsible for wins on the field. Since none of us knows exactly what transpired, I can’t imagine a situation where a coach coming to a team where the QB position is unsettled has no input as to who the QB will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Very elegantly stated--I think Elijah doesn't belong as a bust because we got a 2nd back for him so except for the opportunity cost and a few spots down, we lost little. But thats just luck. Everything you state is undeniably true. JD is basically convicted right here.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  17. REVISion

This will never cease to be baffling to me. It just makes zero sense no matter how you slice it. I can't even talk myself into why it was a good idea in any way.
    • We drafted a guy at the position group we're deepest at in a win-now season, when we had glaring deficiencies at other important position groups.
    • There were very good prospects available at those other position groups, prospects who were unanimously rated as higher than McDonald.
    • McDonald was a consensus reach where we took him.
    • McDonald was a very old prospect, something that is bearish for a prospect's chances of being good in the NFL.
    • Our offense has been our clear weak point for half a decade, we didn't even draft on the correct side of the ball.
    This draft pick was just not something a competent organization does. I honestly feel like it's a fireable offense in and of itself, just because of how grossly incompetent it shows JD and Saleh are (make no mistake, Saleh had his hands all over this pick as well).

These guys flat out do not understand what it takes to win in the modern NFL. They are trying to build a winning 1990 NFL team, not a winning 2023 one.

JohnnyJet, Brook!, Nyjets4eva and 3 others like this.
  18. REVISion

It's remarkable huh?

Just a few things you'd have been crucified for saying here a year ago that turned out to be true:
    • Wilson sucks.
    • Becton is unreliable and decent at best and outright bad at worst. There was an all-pro RT available at his pick (Wirfs).
    • The AVT pick was an overpay given how many different weak spots we had at OL.
    • The Mims pick was a whiff.
    • Moore was a cancer.
    • This team invested far too much at DL.
    • JD's FA bargain hunting, taking injury prone or just OK players because of value, would screw us.
    • Saleh was a bad hire because defense-first head coaches are not as valuable as offense-first ones, all else equal.
    • Having 1 good WR and just 1 decent receiving TE isn't enough pass catching threats.
    • Signing aging RBs almost never works out.
    JD sucks. He's been elite at getting value in trades but that's it.

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

How do you not blame the GM who drafted Wilson for our young QB.

Not sure what combination of Woody, JD, or Saleh insists on not bringing in competition for Zach but they are all culpable.

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I gotta say, I’m trending down on him….I’ve been a big supporter, but the failure to build a solid OL in FOUR years is a really bad look. without getting into specifics of who he drafted or who he signed or who he let walk, just taking a step back and saying dude…it’s been FOUR years now. It should be better than it is.

That being said, I do think our OL as we played against the Pats would be decent enough if we had a halfway decent QB. It looks much worse than it is because Zach is utter shit and can’t get the ball out and can’t read defenses.

I get the full tear down and rebuild, and I gave him a pass for his record because I did understand it was going to get worse before it gets better, but at some point, the record won’t be excusable anymore.

The way we are just rolling Zach out there when its clear to anyone who has eyes that he’s terrible is a strong black mark to me…I’m not crucifying him for making the pick (I didn’t like it at the time just because he came from a smaller school with one good year against shit competition during COVID) as you need to swing for the fences at QB, but the longer we continue with him, and the longer we don’t do anything better than signing Trevor Simian, I do lose respect for the job he’s doing.

In the end, I think Woody gives both JD and Saleh 2024 with a healthy AR to see what it can be, but honestly, if this team implodes … and I think there is a good chance it does … I wouldn’t be shocked if we just clean house. I hate the starting all over again especially as we’ve built our D for Saleh’s very specific blueprint with all those wide 9 edge guys, but at some point, you gotta start winning.

I knew Zach sucked after last year, but was ok with him sitting behind AR as Rodgers has been durable in the past, but that blew up right away and the lack of any credible back up plan is a black mark to me