Don't Blame Zach !

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Sep 24, 2023.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, he didn't take himself #2. :D

We knew this kid was 3rd on the depth chart at BYU in 2019...we knew he wasn't made a captain....we knew he had a "good" 2020 @ BYU playing in front of Covid Cardboard Cutouts.

Everything said by Daniel Kelly turned out to be prescient.
    How a scout -- who used to work for the Jets -- could get it this right and everybody else wrong is beyond me:

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-joe-douglas-got-this-wrong-when-drafting-zach-wilson-scouting-report

I have ALWAYS been suspicious about "fast-moving up the draft" players in the weeks and days leading up to the draft ever since I saw Lam Jones go #2 overall (of course). More recently we saw Dewayne Robertson, Vernon Ghoulston, Mark Sanchez, and a bunch of Alabama safeties (names escape me) get overdrafted after the "whisper campaigns."

Zach is a backup QB. We got it wrong. No, I don't want JD or Saleh fired just because they blew the pick (Kyle Shanahan blew the #3 pick and was allegedly hot for Zach, too). I do -- if I am Woody -- want to know how the scouting department could get it SO WRONG on Zach where the problems he had as a college QB keep showing up as a pro and why that didn't red-flag him BEFORE the draft (as Kelly did).

For the record, I was against drafting Zach and said to trade the pick and keep Darnold. I don't claim to be any genius but it was clear to me that if we weren't getting Trevor Lawrence, the risk to the downside for any other QB (except maybe Justin Fields who I thought WAS worth a shot at #2 after he played great in the 2 CFP games) was not worth it. I am a money manager and investment analyst and if I have a nice, safe conservative stock but someone tells me that there is a good chance the debt and a recession might wipe out the equity, I pass on the investment or move it to the speculative bucket for risk-capital and not safe investment dollars.

So yeah, I would have taken a flyer on Zach in the 2nd or 3rd rounds or maybe even late-1st round if we had multiple 1st-round picks. But taking him at #2...with the added pressure he would face being picked 2nd.....and by a team in the NY media market....my god, that's alot for a local kid to handle let alone a kid from Utah.

Rant off, feel free to rip or agree with me. :D

Jojo, Nyjets4eva, JetBlue and 4 others like this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

WTF

Nyjets4eva and Jets69 like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

4. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

Hes trying very hard to show the Jets he sucks and didn't deserve to be drafted where he was, yet the Jets refuse to see this. Can't blame the kid for the Jets incompetence, but gotta boo him cause he stinks. You also need to fire saleh and jd not because they blew the pick but because he is still the starting qb.

Nyjets4eva and JetsKickAss like this.
  5. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

They got it wrong because they saw that off-balance throw at the Pro Day and fooled themselves into thinking they could turn him into Patrick Mahomes.

Everything else pointed to Wilson being the bust he's well on his way to becoming. But that one throw was what did it.

JetBlue, Cman68 and JetsKickAss like this.
  6. JetsKickAss

Speaking of which....I heard that Mike M. loved Patrick Mahomes but didn't think he was worth the #6 overall pick so went with Jamal Adams.

I don't even remember who the QB was in 2017...we moved on from Ryan Fitzpatrick after 2016. Didn't get Darnold until 2018.

See...that's where you overdraft a guy...like Mahomes...even if you think he's a mid-teens pick...if you REALLY like him, if you are SURE he's gonna be at least a GOOD (even if not great or franchise QB)....you pick him 6th. Because you may not get a chance to get a franchise QB (Lawrence) when you have a high pick. And when you have a high pick, may not be any QB's worth taking.

7. stinkyB

which is true and really fucking stupid..... all these teams tryt o out smart themselves by putting so much emphasis on "analytics" and the underwear olympics over being an actual football player. Zach's the offensive version of Vernon Gholston

Cman68 and JetsKickAss like this.
  8. JetsKickAss

I cannot believe that guys whose entire job is focused on the draft -- plus their bosses leading up to JD -- could be fixated on a throw like that and not focus on Zach's inability to throw it to the receivers accurately (see the Kelly piece) as opposed to "he has a 74% completion percentage."

Ralebird likes this.
  9. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Zach isn’t even a backup QB. He cannot play professional football. He is that bad.

And I do blame him, bc he he makes a lot of money and isn’t giving of it back while he stinks it up and ruins fans weekends every damn week for three years.

Woodhead, Nyjets4eva, JetBlue and 5 others like this.
  10. stinkyB

Was it the?

the OC?.... well there's a new one this year
    the O-line? kinda shitty, but 5 seconds with the ball in the nfl is alot
    the Wind? I hate when that happens
    The receivers? probably the best group since 2010...
    running game?... not even worth a comment here...

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

said it before the season that he was the worst option for a backup. People said “Rodgers won’t get hurt”

JetsKickAss likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In his fourth career start, Josh Dobbs just had a better game for the Cardinals against the Cowboys than Zach has had in his career.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I also hate the wind. My dogs don’t like it either. They take much longer to shit when it’s windy and it pisses all of us off.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It coulda been worse.

That's all I got... :confused:

15. JetsKickAss

I can't believe that throw was more than 12th on the list of reasons to pick Zach #2 overall.

Maybe it's the 5th tiebreaker on other items, but I can't believe scouts and the GM they work with are gonna say "Wow, what a throw....it was all over NFL Network and ESPN...we GOTTA take this guy !!" :D

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

The Zach Wilson pick has Woody Johnson written all over it. Johnsons only concern is selling luxury boxes and making some kind of splash to help sell them. When it was clear Lawrence was unavailable, the prudent thing was to trade down, grab some o line prospects and sign some journeyman QB until a guy we really wanted fell to us. But with Darnold being a bust, woody needed his splash, so leaned on taking Wilson and then pumping him up into something he never was and is never going to be. Sold some luxury boxes though

17. Timregan106

Timregan106 Member

Zach sacked himself at least twice today. He might be a nice kid, but he can't play at this level. We'd be better off with anybody else, literally anybody.

18. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

19. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

The entire organization has run aground and is sinking with Zach captaining this rudderless ship.

jackie1013 and tomdeb like this.
  20. stinkyB

It really blows!

Jonathan_Vilma and sozopol like this.