Gutsy performance by Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 11, 2023.

1. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

That’s what I’m chalking two of those 3 picks too. For the most part, this was one of his better stretches Q 1-3. I know he didn’t have any yards, but he made all his “gimmies”.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't think 3 quarters were on training wheels. He got us 10 points at the half, and should have been 17 if oline gave him just a split second more. He was pressured 69% of the time. Again, I am not excusing Zach. He wasn't good. But he wasn't the main reason why we lost.

At this stage he is a back-up QB who filled in for the injured starter and I don't think he or any back-up will win too many games with the Oline performance we had today and with defense not bailing us out as usual. Lack of running game didn't help either. I think changes need to be made on the Oline and also I want to see Ruckert block to help this inept Oline instead of playing Uzomah who can't block to save his life.

3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yeah its hard to digest every little detail watching live but Uzomah did seem to have an especially rough go of it today.

KY Jets Fan and Borat like this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think he's even a backup QB, more like a practice squad QB. But either way, if this team is as good as the front office was talking it up to be, then if your starter goes down with a season-ending injury Week 1, you make a move for a better QB. You don't waste the entire season starting a backup for the remaining 16 games.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am in favor of getting another QB, we are not in disagreement here. However, whoever we get will likely be another back-up. Not too many good QBs are available now, pickings are slim. My point is that we have a bigger issue in OLine. I think defense will rebound from today's performance, but OLine has been brutal both games. Unless the OLine improves, it will be a tough year even if we have another QB playing, and not Zach.

6. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

I can’t believe Sanfran can admit they f’ed up with trey lance after giving up all that draft capital to get him and cut their losses but we can’t. Jets should have kept mike white and traded zw for anything anyone was willing to pay this offseason. This organization is so stupid, not only that we bring in no real competition and he always gets his starting job back somehow. And it’s always not on how he is playing but because of where he was drafted. He would not be starting for any other team right now, just shows how
    Incompetent this team really is.

#586 jets4848, Sep 18, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
    BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  7. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

I said multiple times not re-signing MW and trading Zach Wilson was the best path forward. Everyone on here laughed at me like we wouldn't get anything for him. Yes, we would... we'd have have a roster spot for competent backup QB called Mike White to give us the chance to win games. That's what WE get.

We had the best backup QB in the league for the past two years – and we didn't sign him for a couple of millions to keep Zach Wilson as a potential franchise after Rodgers retires. No one believes in that kid and never will.

Saleh needs to stop with the positive manifestation BS. time to move on from Zach.

Pepsiguy5 and jets4848 like this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But you're also ready to watch fifteen more games like this?

jets4848 likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You must have missed the graphic that said he was 1/5 to start the game.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Are you serious about Mike White being better in this game? Mike White would have had his ribs broken again today. Standing like a statue and going trough his reads with this OLine? Please. I know Zach sucked, but at least he game managed decent for 3 quarters he did not implode until the 4th quarter, until he was forced to make passing plays under heavy pressure, which he cannot do. White would have been folded in half way before that. At this point what I have seen from Zach this year is that he is capable of game managing OK. This can actually work if OLine can generate some running game and defense plays well. And a little bit of protection would be nice too as not to get pressured on 70% of the plays.

Do we need another QB - yes. I would try to trade for someone, but it looks like Richardson is out and Minshew will not be available, not sure about other decent back-ups. If not, sure let's bring some FA scrub with accomplishments back in the day. That's all fine. But Mike White would have gotten destroyed yesterday, and honestly most people would if this OLine continues this abysmal play.

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This is one of my biggest takeaways from the game yesterday.

For all the "belief" in ZW within the organization, the playcalling, at least to start the game, seems to indicate the exact opposite. Pretty sure the dude had like 5 pass attempts before the 2 minute drive going into halftime. How in the hell is he supposed to get into a rhythm? How are we supposed to beat anyone when you only throw 5 passes over almost an entire half?

Take the training wheels off. It'll most likely end up like what we saw on our last 3 possessions but who cares? You can't beat anyone in this league playing the way we did yesterday and if the gameplan is THAT limited when your backup QB comes in, why in the world is he your backup QB? Just a horrible gameplan, on both sides of the ball.

They better figure it out and quick because BB isn't going to take it any easier on Zach or the OL next week.

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

1/4. His 5th pass attempt was the TD to GW.

Borat likes this.
  13. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

I was invested into MW but fans are somehow forgetting that our Oline is possibly worse this year than last, where MW had his face smashed in every other game.

ZW has wheels and that's one thousand percent necessary right now behind our Oline that plays like blind children

Borat likes this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He's had a rough go last year too. He can't block and he is not a great pass catching TE. I want to see Ruckert play over him completely. Every single snap. Uzomah needs to be benched in favor of significantly better player, who is also much younger. Enough of this bullshit already playing incompetent players, just because they are veterans. Uzomah has a significantly better replacement already on the roster. Time to take every single snap he has and give it to Ruckert.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He actually had pretty good stats entering the Half - I think 108 passer rating. Could have been more if OLine protected 1/10th of a second longer on the last pass to GW. Zach has become a better game manager I feel. In the first 3 quarters he didn't make major mistakes, he even got some plays with his legs. But when he tries to play hero ball, which he was forced to do in the 4th, particularly when heavily pressured, it's the same old Zach, he just completely imploded. Not that many other QBs would have done much better in this situation. I am not trying to excuse Zach, but looking at this game, I just don't think he is the main reason why we lost.

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Yeah, I saw enough from Uzomah yesterday. He should be TE3 going forward.

No reason to not give Ruckert more opps. He seems to be a capable blocker in the run game, something Uzomah is not.

ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  17. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I know this would never happen but my god can we please take a quarterback with every pick in the draft and maybe one of them will work out.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  18. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

The numbers never lie. Even if you somehow have convinced yourself that Zach is either improving or not at fault, here are his numbers so far:

Of starters, he has thrown for the fifth fewest yards.

He has thrown the most INTs in the league.

He has the second worst QB rating in the sport.

This is objectively the worst starting QB in all of football, and if you dont include rookies hes the worst by a large large margin.

Enough already.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

White gets the ball out quick. He would've performed a lot better than Wilson.

Fortunately White is not the only guy who can do that. There are lots of QBs that can be decisive and quick in the pocket including a FA named Nick Foles that should be brought in today if Joe Douglas has any balls

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's a RB screen the WRs are never ready. they 100% know the ball is never coming to them. thats the play design. IDK why you don't get that. the QB has only 2 options on the play. pass to the RB or throw it away. there is no 3rd option. zach messed up by not throwing it away right away but him throwing it to a WR would have been an even bigger mistake that is likely picked off