The Jets are simply losers.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Sep 17, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Maybe Zach Wilson is trash. I don't think so, but even if he is, he's not the main problem. After rooting for this team for over 60 years, and see them only have very brief periods of what could be called success, with only one championship to show for it all, I believe I have enough evidence to say that they will NEVER be a winning franchise.

I thought they might finally have turned the corner with Douglas and the blueprint he said he was building with, but no matter how nice the building he's trying to build might be, it can't stand with no decent foundation - a solid, if not Top 10 OL. And if a guy who was actually an OL in college, and who learned under the likes of Ozzie Newsome hasn't been able to produce this foundation at this point, I personally don't think he ever will. I don't know what his problem was/is with this, but it doesn't matter. His failure cost us having a great QB like Rodgers run this offense. And it also cost the development of the highest QB they drafted.

But it goes deeper than all that. Ever since Namath and Weeb left, the Jets went from being at the forefront of offensive thinking to the opposite end, adopting a "defense wins championships" mindset even into the last 20 years when it was clear the rest of NFL was going with high scoring offenses. I had hoped that even though Saleh was a DC that he would be different, but it's clear he isn't. Picking defensive minded guys to be the HC is simply the Jets version of insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results". Allowing Hackett to deploy that putrid game plan today shows that Saleh is incapable of understanding offense enough to know that it was putrid. And that's not the first time we can say that about a defensive minded Jets HC.

At this point firing Douglas and Saleh would be pointless, and it isn't going to happen anyway. But replacing Zach Wilson as QB sure isn't going to fix things. The real truth is that as long as the Johnsons own this team, the Jets will be losers, because teams take on the identity of their owners, and the Johnsons are two of the biggest losers in sports.

2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think we need to do what Vilma titled his thread and just throw the tape of this one out and go from there. This team was completely (and not incorrectly) built around an Aaron Rodgers run and we just ended up hitting the 100th percentile on the bad luck-ometer.

Also this game today was against perhaps the nastiest team in the NFL, at their stadium, with the nastiest defensive player ever just destroying the entire Jets plan B with some tough calls thrown in for good measure.

Lets give 'em another chance next week against a team with no Micah Parsons. If for no other reason than we have no choice :)

3. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

Jets is falling apart: Sauce Gardner quit Twitter and Breece Hall is complaining on twitter that he only got 4 carries today.

barfolomew likes this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The team being completely built around Rodgers kind of highlights the problem though, right?

This is an idiotic franchise and front office which was hoping a hall of fame QB would bail them out and make them look like geniuses. How isn't the OL at least decent yet? How don't we have more than 1 good WR? How do we still have no consistent receiving threat at TE? How are we still trotting out a failure of a retread at OC?

In a sense, I'm glad Rodgers isn't around to put lipstick on this pig. Then again, our front office never realizes what they should do no matter how obvious it is, so I guess it doesn't matter either way.

jets_fan, Wahoo, SOJAZ and 6 others like this.
  5. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I expect G, Wilson demands a trade around week 5. Gonna be fun watching the implosion since it isn't fun watching anything else about the Jets.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

Ya all the wide receivers do, how long until the wide receivers start showing Zach up like last year?

7. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Lovable losers though, right? Like Charlie Brown! Or George Costanza!

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Jet fans need their own special suicide hotline... :confused:

9. The80sJets

The80sJets Active Member

Saleh is a nice guy and great salesman, but he’s not a good coach.

Six straight losses to end the year!

How about those Jacksonville and Seattle games where the team completely quit?

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well I have a hard time arguing much of that too passionately.

Aaron Rodgers presence is 100% completely an attempt to bail out what was just a catastrophic mistake in drafting Zach Wilson.

However... it WAS a pretty slick bail out attempt and the Jets should have gotten away with it but for a terrible stroke of bad luck with Rodgers achilles.

Also, as bad of a draft pick as Wilson was, the Jets did manage to hit on some pretty nice players with other picks the last few years including two superstar level guys in Hall and Garret Wilson. Nobody bats 1000 in the NFL draft. The thing that stings me bad with Zach though, and I posted repeatedly about it at the time, is that it just seemed at the time to be a complete shit allocation of resources when you already had a decent young QB on the roster who really just needed some help. The chances of Wilson ever developing into a player so much better than Darnold as to justify both the expense, the opportunity cost, AND the ramp up period to get a young QB developed seemed incredibly low to me at the time and well.... predictably....

11. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

The fact that they hoodwinked everyone into rodgers being the savior, and yet we’re goi g to leave him behind that line shows you their level. All week long all I hear was the jets were Super Bowl bound , but rodgers is out so now they aren’t. They never were. That line would have gotten him killed, and he isn’t nearly as mobile as zack. Seems they will just do what they have to do to sell tickets etc, and by the time everyone realizes, they are standing there with an empty wallet and pocket full of disappointment. And they have their ability to do it to everyone next year already in place. The return of rodgers.

12. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas is a true Jeckyl and Hyde. On the one hand he has made some terrific draft picks with AVT, Sauce, Breece, Garret Wilson.

Yet on the other hand his stubbornness in not upgrading the Oline or acquiring a legit back up QB is a complete failure.

Douglas had every opportunity to sign tackles like Orlando Brown, Caleb McGarry, Jawan Taylor. There were a bevy of back up QB's the likes of Jacoby Brisset, Gardner Minshew, Teddy Bridgewater.

Yet Douglas chose to stand pat with his archaic tackle Duane Brown and Becton who hasn't played in two years.

It's really maddening. It's like ignoring your check engine light until you're stalled out in the middle of the highway.

The Jets are stalled Joe. Now what?

#12 BleedJetsGreen1981, Sep 17, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
    Jets81, Centiment, SOJAZ and 8 others like this.
  13. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I firmly believe this team will implode with Zach Wilson at QB.

Snatch Catch, SOJAZ and tomdeb like this.
  14. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

also drafted huge busts like zw, mims,Moore, becton, his bad outweighs the good sorry he gotta go. If he still hasn’t fixed the qb or ol situation by now he gotta go

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah, we went from a string of horrendous GMs in Idzik and Mac to a decent one in JD. This convinced a lot of our fanbase that JD was a good or great GM, but he's not. He's ok, he just looks good compared to the absolute dumpster fires we had before.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I actually think he is competent and did a decent job overall. However failures at the OLine and QB are negating everything good he has ever done. Even when he finally got a good QB, because OLine he built was such a shit, we don't have him anymore. Overall so far, I would have to agree, he is just OK. If he were able to fix the Oline I think he would have been good, but it's just amazing how year after year after year, he just can't.

17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I have never seen a team stick so long with such a bad QB. You can just see it in the lack of confidence of his teammates that they know Zach stinks.
    But Saleh will keep playing him and talking him up.
    Douglas will keep scratching his butt instead of finding another QB until after the season is lost.
    And then in 2024 Douglas will bring Zach back again to finish his last year of his contract.
    Before Douglas signs Zach to an extension.
    Hey, Chris Simms loved Zach, remember? :D

18. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Furthermore the fact that Douglas was himself an offensive lineman you'd think he'd take a particular pride in building a brick wall to to protect the Jets quarterback. But instead he went with the bargain basement straw hut.

Jets81, SOJAZ, REVISion and 1 other person like this.
  19. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

Last season the jets blamed everything on mlf who seems to be doing more than fine in la now, who do they blame this season on? I mean how can they keep making excuses for this kid when the whole nfl has realized Zach Wilson sucks but the jets.

20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Zach has been the worst rated QB in the NFL the past 2 seasons. I don't see the jets winning 6 games with him at QB all year.
    Get your head out of your butt, Douglas, and get somebody, anybody, in here now so he can get ready for game 5.

HomeoftheJets and jets4848 like this.