Gutsy performance by Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 11, 2023.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Our receivers outside of Wilson and Conklin didn't impress me either.

What happened to the free agents we were so excited about.

JD should beg Corey Davis to come out of retirement.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In his second career start, CJ Stroud, playing for an awful Texans team with multiple OL starters injured, had a higher passer rating than Zach has had in his career. This guy is to QBs what Adam Gase is to coaches, and still people defend him on here. I've never seen anything like it.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I am past the point of being pissed at Wilson.

He’s just not up to snuff, he shouldn’t be playing, he should be on a practice squad somewhere.

It is not his fault- they drafted him 2nd overall

I am pissed at the front office and coaching staff for not upgrading and for forcing us to watch Zach Wilson every week

4. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

It’s amazing our luck with qbs. This one partly thanks to gase

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It also hurts to see a team like the Commanders down 21-3 rally and beat the snot out of the Broncos in the second half with a guy who holds the ball for an eternity in Howell.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We see it with every Jets QB. We saw it with Sanchez. We saw it with Darnold. It's what our fans do. The only thing elite about the Jets is their fans' ability to make endless excuses for shitty players, coaches, and GMs.

But yeah, this is where I'm at as well. Zach sucks, I don't see any point in beating a dead horse because we're stuck with him for now.

Our coaches and GM have done him zero favors. Yet another year with a bad OL. Yet another year with thin talent at WR and TE. Yet another year with uninspired and dated playcalling.

Centiment and HomeoftheJets like this.
  7. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

I try to stay positive and optimistic but I don't understand how anybody defends Zach Wilson. He's not, and will never be even a backup caliber NFL QB. He's a complete liability at the position.

Centiment likes this.
  8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I think Lazard has looked okay, actually better than I thought he would be.
    Cobb and Hardiman have been invisible.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

In Sam's first two years with the Jets, he had 6 games better than Zach's best, Geno had 2, and Sanchez had 7 (4 not including playoffs). Jets fans making excuses is nothing new, but to this degree is unprecedented.

Pepsiguy5, James Hasty and REVISion like this.
  10. James Hasty

If we kept Sam for another year we could have filled another need in round one or traded down for a bunch of picks.

If we moved on the following year we would have had some decent options.

stinkyB and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  11. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Watching Tago quick releases on blitzes.

He s making quick/smart decisions. That’s the problem I don’t see with ZW. He has a quick release if true, but with the blitzes ZW struggles with quick recognition and making good passes.

12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I know I'm the only one that thinks this but I like Sam Darnold and I would have really liked to see him get a chance with either the 22 or 23 iteration of the Jets. I feel pretty strongly the Jets would have made the playoffs with him last season.

James Hasty likes this.
  13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Guys, Zach sucking doesn't change the fact that Darnold does too. We were going nowhere with him and it was the right decision to move on. The vast majority of QBs don't work out, even highly drafted ones. That's the way it goes at that position.

The larger problem is that we've yet again failed to surround whoever is at QB with an offensive line and multiple elite weapons (and elite OC).

14. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

You're not the only one. There were a few of us who favored keeping Sam and trading the pick.
    Remember JDs promise to Sam's parents about protecting him? Yeah, he's still working on that.

Centiment, James Hasty and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  15. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

he’ll definately fix the offensive line by his 15th year as gm, give that man a contract extension!

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Look, I am not sure what the expectation is when you back-up QB has to throw all the time in the 4th quarter while pressured all the time by this shit of OLine. Hack didn't help much either: most of the runs were to the left where we have Duane and Laken garbage duo, and Uzomah played over Ruckert, who actually did a great job blocking on Monday. For 3 quarters I thought Zach held up well. In fact, if Oline gave him just a bit more time at the end of the half, he hits GW for another TDs. But Oline sucked, defense sucked, play calling sucked, and in the 4th quarter Zach sucked too.

17. burf

burf Well-Known Member

It might have something to do with coaching/playcalling.
    The Commanders were probably trying to win the game, & scoring points is a good way to accomplish that.
    On the other hand, this CS tends to think that trying not to make mistakes is better than scoring points... try to stay close, & maybe the ball will bounce your way.
    Over 3 seasons, they still don't get that scoring points wins games, & gameplanning in fear of mistakes, or injuries doesn't win games.

18. HomeoftheJets

We could start with an expectation of not throwing three interceptions. And the three quarters of Zach holding up "well" were him on training wheels. Anyone short of Nathan Peterman can avoid throwing picks when on training wheels.

19. James Hasty

The game was already lost.

There was no better time to throw caution to the wind and experiment.

You can learn a lot from failure.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Exactly!

It boils down to they continue to believe that "defense wins championships", i.e. they don't really need to develop QBs or an offense because their defense will hold the other team's offense down enough that even their own shitty offense can score enough to win. We've seen this "philosophy" for years now with them and it has never worked, specifically it has yet to deliver the promised championship. And yet they continue to hire defensive minded HCs, and give short shrift to the offense.

Even if Zach sucks as many here believe, they did him no favors with the game plan they had. But what game plan could work with this OL? And whose fault is that? After being a staunch defender of Douglas, I'm done. There is no excuse for having another shitty OL. And even Aaron Rodgers wouldn't have been able to survive today's performance. If there's a QB out there they can get who can succeed behind an OL like this, they should go get him, but I don't believe there is such a guy. And I don't believe they'll have the cap space and/or resources to sign such a guy in the off season. So unless they're going to go into tank mode - which I don't believe they ever would - to try and land one of the top tier QBs in the draft, they're going to be left with a 40+ year old Rodgers trying to come back after a serious leg injury, and Zach Wilson. So, if the Jets actually believe what they've said about him, they had better take the hand cuffs off him and let him try to win games the way he did at BYU. Because whatever they're trying to do with him so far hasn't worked.

What we saw today was what happens when you invest in building a Top 5 defense at the expense of having a Top 5 offense. It's a formula for losing, and the Jets have been perfecting it for years.