Gutsy performance by Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 11, 2023.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Hey you’re following me now.

Great.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And it really should've been a PI call.

3. ColoradoContrails

Contrary to the meme, it wasn't that bad a throw. As you pointed out it was thrown where either GW could make a play or it wouldn't be caught. And it had to lofted over a defender as well. Could it have been a little better, more to his back shoulder? Maybe, but a "bad" throw? No.

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Apparently there was a 4% chance it could have been picked off.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

lol i agree it's a low chance for a pick on that play, it was just more possible then a catch. that ugly throw 95% of the time is doinked off the defenders head for an imcomplete or just sails OOB behind everyone

6. GasedAndConfused

it was bad. needs more loft and air time and over the defender so GW can go up and make a play on it. even zach said it was a shitty throw after the play. if you want how it should have looked, watch rodgers throw the same ball from further away in the preseason game to GW. that was a perfect version

7. bicketybam

Did that defender get his head around? On the Rodgers ball? I don't remember and don't want to go back and find the play.

8. GasedAndConfused

nope no chance too. rodgers led him to a spot with a dart that was over the DBs head. it was caught before he knew it was even thrown

9. bicketybam

If the defender had a sixth sense and got his head around, he would have defended it 96% of the time!

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Have to agree it was gutsy performance by Wilson all things considered.

It wasn't supposed to go this way for him either, which gets lost in all this.
    He needed a reset, and chance to learn without the pressure, and tbh he was looking more relaxed in camp/preseason as result.

Now all the pressure back on, and right during the teeth of the schedule, on a team with high expectations.
    Struggle early, and can quickly lose the locker room.
    I feel for him really.

My hope is another gutsy performance in Dallas win or lose, with first goal being earning some confidence and genuine support in the locker room.
    Win teammates over, and maybe good things can build off that.
    Bring that milf banging joy and focus Zach!

The Jets still need to bring in another viable option though.
    If Wilson does continue to struggle this stretch, it wouldn't be good for him or the team to keep putting him out there.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

It's good that Zach was critical of himself there, but it doesn't mean was a bad a throw as many claim. It could've been better, but it still gave their best receiver a shot at catching a TD, which he did.

12. burf

burf Well-Known Member

The DB made a great play, tight coverage preventing GW from running the full route.
    GW just made a better play.
    In other words, if Zach & GW were playing catch, with nobody defending, it would've been a perfect pass.

My wish is that people would take their blinders off, & realize that in the NFL, there are defenders trying to prevent an offense from succeeding. Those lob passes into the endzone are thrown to a spot, where the receiver is supposed to be. The DB is there to prevent it.
    He had position on GW, a very good play.
    GW was just better.

NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

And, as I've mentioned several times, PI could've - should have - been called. If Garrett didn't have his left arm being pulled flagrantly, he would've easily been able to sang that pass without having to be Houdini.

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He caught it we scored not much more to tell

burf likes this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Zach nearly had that pass batted down... and would have if it went to Garrett's outside shoulder.

But two plays before was where Zach earned his game check with that 3rd down pass to Wilson.
    He looked off the middle coverage and threw it just where it had to go.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

This part of the conversation has gotten so far from my original comment here that I'm not sure I even know what to respond to. I never questioned the call at all, I don't know where that came from - I questioned the execution of it after it broke down. I know exactly what I'm looking at and, regardless of the textbook definition of a screen of any kind and what the QB should do when something goes wrong, that didn't happen.

What did happen was the QB bailed out and ran 28 yards the wrong way while there were two guys ready, willing and able to catch the ball from him who he saw (at least one of them) and ignored; that was my comment that started this. The receivers did their job, just as you describe it in the bolded section above, while the QB did not mitigate the result of the play by utilizing them as dumpoff targets. Whoever said the quarterback will never look for another outlet when a screen is broken up but must just spike the ball in the direction of the original intended target was not taking into account that the QB kept the ball and went on what more than one person has described as a Benny Hill like jaunt.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

OFF TOPIC. As usual.

18. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I think its important to understand Wilson's past flaws in examining his performance in the Bills game. First, he had serious and eratic mechanical issues that often resulted in his missing easy passes (Saleh said "he has to make the easy easy"). We didn't see that in this game. If he fixed his mechanical issues that is a serious improvement.

Second, he had a tendancy of passing on the underneath routes and trying to hit the home run, which resulted in an occasional spectacular play, but mostly resulted in his holding the ball too long and getting sacked, intercepted or throwing the ball away. For the most part, he took whatever the defense gave him in this game, including the underneath stuff when it was there.

Third, he had major confidence problems and when things went bad, they would snowball for him and everything went from bad to worse. In this game, he didn't crumble after the interception and came back to help the team take the lead. Yes, the interception was bad, but every QB throws some interceptions, including some bad ones (e.g., See Josh Allen's game). It was the only turnover worthy play he had.

I saw major progress from Wilson in the Bills game. Is he Aaron Rodgers? Hell no, Aaron Rodgers is a 4 time MVP and superbowl champion with an incredible amount of experience. Does he need to be Aaron Rodgers for the Jets to win? The team has an incredible defense and a solid running game, so I don't think they need him to be Aaron Rodgers. They do need him to be consistent and not turn the ball over.

Finally, the Bills have a really good defense and really good defense can make QBs look very bad (see Josh Allen). Its unfair to expect Wilson to come in in that situation and have him light the world on fire against that defense. Nor is it a fair crticism of him that the coaching staff started running the ball more, because that's exactly what they should do when they have a good running game and their franchise QB goes down.

Does this mean that I see Wilson as a top QB and the future for the franchise? No. All it means is that I see that, in 1 game, he showed serious progress. Let's see how he does against Dallas.

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Hardly…4…vs…29? …res ipsa loquitur

take the ‘eL’

#500 joe, Sep 16, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
    bicketybam likes this.