Best QBs Available?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by heartpumpsgreen, Sep 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

That's not a huge limb to go out on. Teams aren't trading a starting caliber QB (current starter or capable backup) this early in the season. In about a month if a team is in the 0-4 to 1-5 realm, then they'll entertain it. Coincidentally, the Giants game comes after our buy, which would give a new QB extra practice time.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You stated it" Make the playoffs, hopefully win the SB.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Let me ask everyone a question. Out of the presumed playoff teams at the beginning of the season, which teams would still be expected to make the post season if their starting QB went down within 4 offensive snaps of the first game?

Maybe the Browns? Possibly Dallas? You could make a case for Miami if you believe White could stay healthy. Anyone else?

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well yeah, when your starting QB goes down, your playoff hopes are severely impacted. I would say San Francisco would be a team that should still make it even if their starter goes down…in fact that’s exactly what happened to them last year when Jimmy G went down and a 7th round draft pick stepped in and took them to the playoffs. If Purdy were to go down next week, I think in a weak NFC, they’d still make the playoffs with Darnold playing. I think they’re that good.

Dallas would probably make it as well as Cooper Rush has played well before. Philly does rely a lot on Hurts but their D is probably good enough to carry the team in a weak NFC also.

On the AFC side it’s just tougher because there are more good teams…I think KC would not be the same without Mahomes obviously…Baltimore maybe makes it on their D, Cincinnati probably not but they do have a strong roster also…Buffalo and Miami probably not…

Regardless, we are where we are…it’s Zach or bust at this point as I don’t see a whole lot of good options out there unless JD makes a trade for someone clearly better…and that would be the nail in Zach’s coffin if he did that…they can justify bringing in a HOF type guy in Rodgers and still sell the “we believe in Zach” story, but I doubt they can still sell the story if they bring in a second QB to play over him…

5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

This is interesting:

Eagles CB Avonte Maddox feared to have torn pectoral

"With the slot corner position relatively thin, the Eagles experimented with moving veteran All-Pro James Bradberry inside during the summer. Bradberry sat out of Thursday's game with a concussion."

So Brandin Echols (or Bryce Hall) for Marcus Mariota becomes an interesting possibility--Against this is that Mariota has looked pretty bad, his contract is 5mm guaranteed this year although there are some voided year shenanigans to spread it out it looks like. Also Echols is a good backup for us. Hall plays good special teams.

Not supporting the idea--just putting it on the table so to speak.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Realistically we are looking for a person to backup Zach, not the other way around. Whoever we bring in will likely be a disaster and a turnover machine trying to learn behind our o-line. At least Zach still has fresh legs and has some experience in the system, and with the wideouts. There is no upgrade option at the stage.

bicketybam likes this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Watching Neflix QB show I wonder if Mariotta is smart enough to pick up the offense quickly. I have no doubt his wife can.

GQMartin likes this.
  8. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

You can’t have him

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Just wanted to give a big fuck no to Kirk Cousins.

Guy wanted nothing to do with the Jets.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You are right about the timing. My thought there was that If they are truly sold on riding with Zach as the starter the decision is simpler and should be made fast. If they have their doubts and want a more solid choice, like via a significant trade then no so much.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  11. bicketybam

I honestly don't think there is a QB out there that could come in and lead this team to the playoffs. Someone mentioned that most people here had this team winning 8-9 games with Aaron Rodgers. The notion that some scrap heap QB will come in and lead us to that many or more wins is truly delusional thinking.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Not sure how you derived that from my post but ok. Having said that,I don’t believe for one second this team was an 8 win team with AR at the helm. Nor do I believe it was the majority that felt that way, but might be wrong. But mark my words, the very same people that predicted 8 wins with AR, if we win 8 games with Zach or anyone else, would come back and say with AR we would have won 12, blah blah blah. Ain’t buying into that logic. No way they would admit it was an 8 win team even with AR. No freaking way.

13. bicketybam

I wasn't calling you out. I probably shouldn't have quoted your post and I apologize.

To my point, many had the Jets winning around 9 games with Rodgers based on that original poll. If that's the case, who could we sign that would win the same or more? I can't think of anyone.

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Got it. I see your point now. I forgot about the poll. I get the feeling however that the unfortunate injury to AR has sent a shock to the rest of this team that will cause to elevate everyone’s play even more. It will be a tough road but an exciting one.

bicketybam likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

boyle is trash but he knows the system so can run the scout team in practice which allows the young guys to learn the system better. he has a purpose, just not as an NFL starter. plus it was a favor to rodgers

16. GasedAndConfused

yeah i agree on that. honestly i think the best realistic scenario is for us to offer a draft pick to the steelers for rudolph maybe give matt corrall a chance as he's a free agent now.
    the reason I think the steelers will give up rudolph is they gave up on him starting and are rolling with pickett. they have trubisky as a backup under contract this season and next and rudolphs contract is up at the end of the year

17. bicketybam

That doesn't change the fact that there were a fair amount of posters here that wanted him to be QB2 instead of Wilson.

18. bicketybam

Why in the world would you offer a draft pick for a guy that certainly wouldn't win as many games as Rodgers would? It's not like we have an excess of draft picks. You think Rudolph is the guy to lead the Jets to the playoffs?

19. GasedAndConfused

yeah i know. same with people saying streveler last year who was awful in a real game just because he did well against people who were cut in preseason
    I think Rudolph is a better backup then boyle and would likely only cost maybe a swap of picks. give up a 4th and get rudolph and a 5th. at least he's started 10 games, has a winning record (5-4-1), comes from a well coached franchise, and has 60+ completion percentage and more TDs then INTs. he's basically a mike white that can run the offense. boyle can't do anything

20. bicketybam

I don't like giving up a draft pick for a backup QB who most likely won't help us make the playoffs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.