Gutsy performance by Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 11, 2023.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I like watching wins. Don't care much for how we get them.

Jets OG fan and cval like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, well according to some people here, if Zach Wilson is the QB it doesn't count as a win.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it seemed like he only got to actually throw on 3rd and long, which is not ideal because thats when the d-line is in full on rush mode and teams blitz the most.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That really wasn’t the plan though. The plan was to get through two years with Aaron Rodgers until they can dump Wilson and not pickup his 5th year option. They’d then try to figure out QB from there.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

easy there....

papapump likes this.
  6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

quitters never win....

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That would be an interesting situation. I would feel just as happy about a touchdown as I would about a sack.

ukjetsfan, joe, NY Jets68 and 2 others like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Not according to what they've consistently said. Yes, I know, what they say publicly isn't necessarily what they say internally, but unless you have access to those internal discussions, how can you be so sure that plan to dump Zach? I think it's more plausible that they were going to see how Zach progressed - or didn't - before making any decision beyond the next two years. Now, depending on how he does this season, they'll likely have their answer much sooner.

cval likes this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah that’s where I’m coming to…I came into this year thinking playoffs for sure and Super Bowl as a possibility. Now, I’m starting to just come to grips with the fact that playoffs are going to be a long shot (possible as our D is legit, but we’ll have to scratch out lots of close games with strong D and good running game and hoping our QB doesn’t throw for 50% completion and multiple picks)

It is what it is…there’s no silver bullet QB out there in free agency, and no one is trading an above average backup to us even if we wanted to give up draft capital….so the best we can hope for is a Colt McCoy or Nick Foles type…both of whom are better than our guy by the way.

But really I’m just trying to get my head around the fact that this year is yet again a year to see if our highly drafted kid can become a good QB. I don’t think he’ll ever be a franchise QB type guy, but can he be a league average type guy? Maybe. I saw him complete 66% on Monday night against a good DL…sure it was on layups but hey, he missed half of those throws last year, so at least that’s something.

Despite that, I don’t really think he’ll ever be good…he’s got the arm and the athleticism but in the end, he doesn’t see the field well and he doesn’t process quickly enough to become a great QB. That’s just what it is. I don’t know if coaching and experience will improve that…I’d like to think if can improve, but there have been a great many QBs who were physically gifted and could throw the ball through a brick wall but just sucked at playing the position. I think the most likely outcome is Zach is one of those guys…but crazy things sometimes happen so I have to hope he can at least become average. If he can, we have a shot at the playoffs with our D and with Hall and Cook running the ball.

We’ll see…

I’m not a Zach hater…I’d love to see him succeed…but I have seen very little in his play to date that gives me any type of real confidence that he will succeed.

Pepsiguy5, stinkyB and BacktoQueens like this.
  10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I don’t think Wilson was part of future plans at all. That’s why Rodgers was brought in to begin with.
    Hope was Rodgers would play 2, if not 3 seasons here, while Wilson’s contract was up in 2.
    Tbe 5th year option was never happening at that cost.

It makes it all the more frustrating that they didn’t bother to bring in legit QB depth and competition this season.
    That’s draft decision vanity, and it’s already biting us. Have to make a move now with little option available.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea if Wilson doesn’t do a 180 over this brutal stretch of games before the bye, or just stinks it up in the next couple, they’ll need to make a move if for no other reason than to say they tried something. It becomes about messaging….again. Telling the team “we haven’t given up on you or the season”.

It doesn’t get discussed a ton but these guys have incentives that they’ll never hit with poor QB play. It’s not always about winning, it’s about careers. Anyone who’s ever had their career stall in part due to mismanagement would understand.

Pepsiguy5, Acad23 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it would be win, win either way

13. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

For the record, I hope my lack of faith in Zach Wilson is proven dead wrong. I hope he shows significant improvement and demonstrates that he can be a full-time starting quarterback. And hell, I hope the Jets win some games along the way this year.

I have never been one to not embrace the concept of being wrong if it means the betterment of the Jets franchise. If Zach Wilson excels this year, feel free to feed me a heaping plate of crow.

I'll be the one with the napkin around my neck.

14. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Daniel Jeremiah has some encouraging observations on Zach Wilson's growth as a quarterback:

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Let's go to yesterday's scorecard (i.e. posts from yesterday alone):

@Ralebird: 28 posts; 4 likes

@BroadwayAaron: 17 posts; 29 likes

[​IMG]

BroadwayAaron and dawinner127 like this.
  16. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Only Chris Simms could be discussing this scenario right now...

What happens to Aaron Rodgers if Zach Wilson becomes the Jets' guy?

NY Jets68 likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

This is the balanced assessment I had hoped people would take away from Zach's performance on Monday, and it hold hope for the future. He has actually improved a lot since last year. Yes, he does need to improve more yet, but the fact that he's shown this growth when many were wrting him off as hopeless should be encouraging.

And yes, he still needs to have that break out performance, where he finally shows he can carry a team instead of them carrying him. If he doesn't, then he's not starting QB material and I'll say move on. But he hasn't shown that he can't do that yet. I won't call it any kind of "silver lining", but one thing AR's injury will do is provide Zach and the Jets his best opportunity to prove one way or the other whether he can be the guy they thought they drafted.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

It's just clickbait. And they acknowledged several times that it's way too early to really think about this happening, and it's all predicated on a big IF. But it's the fuel for discussions, like we have here and fans do elsewhere.

I'll weigh in on their question though. I mostly agree with Simms. If I were Douglas I would go to Aaron and ask him what he wants. He might say, "I'm good being a highly paid back up at this point". Unlikely, but possible, especially after he's gone through the grueling effort to try and recover from an Achilles tear. Maybe he just says, "I don't need this any more", and retires. In any case, that would be my first move as Douglas. If Aaron says, "I want to play, and be the starter", then I'd give him a list of teams he would play for and try to trade him.

But if Zach actually does have that kind of year this year, there's no way they return him to the bench, and if he agreed to that, I'd question his competitive drive, even if he was doing it in deference to his idol.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He went from a respected analyst some people were even talking about as a future GM to discount Colin Cowherd in just two years because of his obsession with one guy. Sad.

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand your comment about “he hasn’t shown that he can’t do that yet”…I look at it as he HASN’T done it yet…which to me shows that in two years he hasn’t been able to have even one single standout game…even Darnold and Geno had a few. But in two years now, Zach has not had a single game anyone would call great…whatever that means…say 300 yards, 2-3 TDs, no picks. Not a single game like that. Not sure when you’d say he has shown that he can’t do it…is it after this year? To me, the longer we go having to dig deep into analysis to show how he “improved” is more and more proof that he won’t do it.

I get it…he’s shown a few baby steps on Monday, and based on where he’s coming from, I’m happy he did. Firstly, I’m glad we won the damn game. Secondly, I’m glad he threw for 66% because that’s been a HUGE problem for him. I don’t even care that it was mostly because he threw a bunch of dumpoffs…shit, those were the throws he’d consistently miss in the past, so I’m happy he got there. Like typical Zach, he made a couple of really nice throws into tight windows…which shows his arm talent.

Like it or not, we’ll get year 3 to see if he can develop into even an average QB…

Pepsiguy5 likes this.