Gutsy performance by Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 11, 2023.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen that post yet. Heading out to buy lottery tickets now

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Take the L, my man. This is ridiculous.

joe, cval and GasedAndConfused like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant that as I should have been more specific, not you.

Have you looked at the point where both GW and Cobb are looking back at ZW as GW crosses the left hash mark and both are making catching motions about waist high? ZW is looking in GW's direction at the same time before he turns away. His first look at the snap was also to GW as he left the line and cut towards the middle - are we really supposed to believe as others have stated that there was no reason for those communications, that nothing but a completion or a throw into the dirt were the only possibilities? As someone said earlier today, I'll be watching to see if this pops up again in Hackett's arsenal.

4. Ralebird

Take the day off BB, you're ridiculous.

5. Ralebird

I'd wish you good luck, but I'd be lying.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

All good points... but I'm not convinced that opening up the playbook is the best approach.

But yeah... we'll have to take shots downfield to keep defenses honest.

Ralebird likes this.
  7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Anyone think it's possible we may see a variation of the wildcat at times? I've seen video of Dalvin taking practice snaps from 2021.

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

may not be the best approach to squeak out wins, but the reality is we ain't winning a SB if zach can't cut it. he's gotta sink or swim or at least be given the chance to see if he's progressed

9. GasedAndConfused

have you never heard of a misdirection play? thats the play, look right, draw the D right, RB chip blocks and it looks like a pass play, then the RB and C slip out and the QB whips his head and either completes it or dirts it if it's not there. if it all works well the D has all shifted right becuase of the WR placement and the QBs eyes then the play goes left to an open area with the RB getting the ball and a lead blocker

what you are saying is "is it not an option to just give the RB the ball during a play action pass? like the RB is there, the QB has the ball extended, why can't he decide to just hand it off" the answer is because thats not the play call and you can't go rogue while the other 10 people are running a different play.

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This the video you're talking about, bud?

Feel free to post a link to the videos you're referring to but nowhere in the video that I linked do I see Zach moping, walking away from Lazard while he was trying to talk to him with his head down, or almost anything else you said. The one thing I will give you is that Zach does start this video by saying "that was a trash throw back shoulder" and then seemingly laughing it off with GW while GW was saying he was balling and to keep playing his game.

Here's another clip of GW either pumping Zach up or talking to him about what they should try to do on the next series. If you're a great lip-reader, I'd love to know exactly what GW said to him but for now I'm just going to assume what I just said actually happened. Nowhere in this 13 second clip do I see Zach looked like "an abused dog" or moping or anything else.

Finally, like I said in the post you responded to, you can choose to believe GW or not but all we have to go on is what GW said happened. If you believe you're a body language expert and can interpret someone's emotions based off of a handful of 5-10 second clips, go for it. I, however, will choose to believe GW and take him at his word for what happened in the locker room and how Zach was acting on the sidelines.

Another clip from after the game where GW said Zach came in a rallied the guys in the locker room at halftime.

Another clip from GW today actually (9/14/2023) on why his vocalized his confidence in Zach on the sideline during the game.

Again, no need to fabricate narratives around Zach that aren't based in fact. He played bad Monday night and we still got the W, he has to play better going forward, let's just leave it at that, shall we?

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

So we should use this year to see if Zach has "it"?

I thought that's what the previous 2 seasons answered... o_O

12. GasedAndConfused

yes and no. that video cut out the "bad" parts and just clipped the better parts of the sideline interactions. I'll look and see if I can find the one that had the whole interaction.
    For most of the stuff there isn't clips for obvious reasons, but during the game on the live broadcast, every time they cut to zach he was moping around. why do you think everyone kept coming up to him. they cut out those parts and only showed the positive ones on all the sites. the clips you are looking at is 10% of what happened in an effort to push a narrative. The best option is to rewatch the full live broadcast and look at wilson on the sidelines every-time they cut to him. even some of the "key words" in the positive video are there for a reason. based on what lazard said, maybe it wasn't moping but more stressed out and feeling like he had to carry the team but either way he wasn't an energetic leader or relaxed and confident and that is the issue

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

the answer is no lol but we also heard that he's improved and hacketts system is better for him and rodgers is mentoring him and that he'll take over after rodgers retires so I mean why not see if some of these claims are true

14. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

To all, lets all stop and enjoy the win against a division rivial. That being said, I been thinking about the team and ZW in particular. I think most of you know where I stand with him but..he is OUR QB for the foreseeable future so lets stop the chirping... is he ready, no he is not but he will be running the O so lets all try - as best as we can - to support him and hope the team wins.

15. Ralebird

They don't need a lineman out front to run a misdirection play and a play action pass has nothing to do with what we're talking about other than all of these rely on the element of surprise in getting the defense to move in one direction while the ball goes in another, whether carried or thrown. Nobody here was talking about "going rogue" but certainly that happens from time to time when, most commonly, a quarterback keeps the ball and everybody on the field thinks it's going somewhere else. That only happens when they only need a yard or so and they only talk about it if it works. I guess occasionally it's also been done with a QB and a receiver or RB if they think they can get the defense to overcommit.

The bottom line for me was the play looked odd when I saw it in the Manning clip and the more I looked at it the stranger it got. The actions of the linemen looked confused and the actions of the two short receivers appeared much more purposeful than what would be expected in a normal running back screen while the two on the far right did exactly what would be expected. At third and thirteen it would have taken an excellent execution to get a first down on a screen, particularly if it was designed with just one guy out front. Nothing in the clips gave any indication the two deep receivers were involved at all and while Cobb and GW were in the clear and both looked like they were looking for a pass it would have been probably more difficult for them to turn it upfield for a first down than it would have been for Carter out of the backfield if that's what was supposed to happen. I don't think Wilson ever looked in Cobb's direction but he certainly did with GW, who just about everybody says was never going to be a target. There's only a few coaches and a few players who know for sure how the play was designed and they won't be talking so I'll have something to look for as the season moves along.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They didn’t cut to him enough other than the clips that @KY Jets Fan posted for your point to make any sense. I think the entire interactions that were on the broadcast are pretty much covered in there.

There isn’t much on a live broadcast you can’t find anymore lol.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think we'll find out Sunday if Hackett & Co. feel comfortable with Zach's "progress". ;)

18. GasedAndConfused

they don't need a lineman to block but it doens't mean the play didn't call for one. it's the players job to run the play. period. you can question the call if you want, but the play is what it is. you don't seem to understand that. as far as the QB scrambling goes, that's different. at that point the play is ran. players are taught to run the play 1st, then if they didn't get the ball to locate the ball and help out. if the QB is scramblinb it may include blocking, or if they are scrambling behind the LOS it includes trying to get open in a scramble drill etc etc. but none of that happens until the play is ran which is all timing based. for example lets say WR1 has a 10 yard square in. his job is to hit the 10 yards, cut in, then heads up for the ball. if it isn't coming at them at that point they locate the ball (another WR or QB still has it) and get involved. if say it went to another WR they would try and lay a block, if the QB sitll has it, they work their way to him while trying to get open. When players don't do this, that's when INTs happen becuase the QB expects them to be in a spot and they aren't.

the play only looks odd to you, because you don't understand what you are looking at. for everyone else it's a normal routine play we've seen hundreds of times before in the NFL

the 1 clip after the TD pass is much much shorter in his video then the original and changes the context. including the part where zach walks away form GW while he's still talking to him and then he does the same to lazard after lazard ran him down to talk to him. They cut both of those parts out. he walks away with his head down mid sentence to both of them. he wasn't happy with his throw to GW. he talked shit about his own throw and looked upset while doing so, he had a look like he let them down. that was cut out too. There was also the quick snaps of him on the sideline alone during the game that aren't showed in that clip that show his body language and facial expressions. Listen it could have been simply being down form rodgers injury and the situation and it could change this week when he's now the starter going into the game and processed it all. but he clearly had a look of worry of letting everyone down in the locker room.

I have a feeling it won't and what we seen monday is going to be the offense all season. hope i'm wrong but it's going to be brutal to watch outside of breece and his 1-2 exciting runs a game.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Exactly... if they play it close to the vest and run a simplified playbook... it will be evidence that they are not
    satisfied with Zach's ability to move the ball with his arm.

Whatever they do... there are gonna be situations where Zach has to put on his big-boy pants...

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Given that the plan was to allow Zach to watch and learn this year - and maybe next - under AR, it wouldn't be at all surprising that they aren't convinced he's ready to do what they hoped he'd be able to do after that. So it would only make sense for them to keep things simple for a bit at least until he gets his feet fully under him.

That said, I agree, he's going to have to accelerate his learning curve big time at this point, like it or not. And they can't restrict him to screens, dump offs and 20 passes, they're going to have to let him use his arm which is what got him drafted so high in the first place, and they're probably going to have to risk some deep INTs just to keep teams honest. And if he's given any kind of protection, he ought to be able to complete quite a few deep balls. But I can just hear it now...after he throws a couple of deep INTs the Zach Haters will then crucify him for being reckless. With those people Zach can never win.