Gutsy performance by Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 11, 2023.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I had to stop after the first sentence. Borderline gaslighting. I gotta bow out of this one at this point.

bicketybam likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Didn’t the Bills decline the penalty? I believe they declined one of these at one point. It’s not even a loss of down.

I’ll gladly eat the 5 yard penalty. One of the biggest Jets playoff plays of all time was a bad screen pass that resulted in a Brady interception. A lot can go wrong in all that traffic.

NY Jets68 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I understand what he should've done, but players don't always do what they should do, even the best ones. In fact, sometimes great plays happen because the player goes off script - but I'm not arguing that this play was the time to do that either. But to your question, I'm curious what the actual rule is because having read it, I'm still not sure that McGovern would've been in a penalty situation had Zach thrown the ball and completed it.

Aside from that, and having watched the play again, if Zach had tried to dirt it wouldn't it have been intentional grounding? I didn't see an eligible receiver near him when he made the decision to bail and run backwards. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he bailed to avoid the sack, avoid intentional grounding and buy room and time so he could do what he did - throw it OOB downfield.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He could have thrown it at Carter's feet, no intentional grounding. It was not a good play for Zach and needs stop making a bad play worse. How about we talk about the Laser to Lazard or the one falling down to Lazard and the throw to GW on the TD drive? How about him not dirting a ball on a screen? Zach needs to do more of that.

We will throw a lot of screens against the Cowboys to negate the pass rush. Zach is a bit of a head-case or maybe just a millennial :) but when he plays with confidence he is pretty good but he can hang his head quickly then he is just bad.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

They declined both penalties (there was also a pass interference), it was third down so they had to punt it away.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We kicked a 43 yrd. field goal actually.

Ralebird likes this.
  7. Ralebird

I looked back and it was you who marked up the Manning still showing three guys setting up the screen when only one was heading upfield. It was also you who claimed if ZW had thrown to GW or Cobb it would have been a penalty and I pointed out that McGovern was still legal when the pass could have been thrown. Then you claimed that GW would not have been looking for a pass and I showed you exactly where to look to see both him and Cobb free and clear and looking at ZW but instead you've chosen to complain about "gaslighting"? Gimme a break.

8. Ralebird

You are correct, mea culpa.

Acad23 likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

wrong video bud. there was one of wilson talking with wilson after the TD when zach basically said I threw a shitty ball and garrett was pumping him up and lazard came to support zach and zach walked away with his head down while lazard was trying to support him. there was also several others of just garrett on the sideline with zach trying to pump him up. and several clps when they pulled away to zach on the sidelines moping around. body language speaks volumes. it's zach job as the QB to be the leader and rally the offense. not garrets but garret has the confidence and zach doesn't. he looked like an abused dog all game with his head down and moping and his WRs and OC had to keep him going. Maybe it was a fluke, maybe he was upset over the rodgers injury. IDK but we can't pretend it didn't happen.

of course garret would say that. I love the kid. he's amazing on and off the field and in the locker room. whats he gonna say? zach was moping around and we had to keep picking him up? I'll believe the actual sideline videos during the game over the "PR speak" after the game. I'm hoping zach is different this week going into it as the starter and dealing with rodgers injury and not "in the moment" maybe the injury just really depressed him, shit I know it depressed me and probably millions of jet fans out there too.

10. GasedAndConfused

watch more NFL then. there are delayed screens where 1 lineman and the RB slip out after pass blocking for it. the WRs job is to "sell it" like a play action fake in a sense and run their routes and call for the ball. it looks like a regular pass then turns into a screen. RB blocks a LBer then slips out, C blocks a DT then slips out and you have a RB in space with 1 lead blocker thats usually open for a good gain. Thats what this play looked like except the RB got blown up by milano and couldn't slip out, he's supposed to chip the LBer then slip out and instead milano ran through him and threw him off balance

bicketybam likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

you dirt it at the RBs feet. as long as their is an eligible receiver in the vicinity there is no grounding.

12. GasedAndConfused

from my count zach had 3 good throws all game

1) was the laser to lazard. fit it in perectly with tons of zip. lazard caught it in self defense lol. picke dup 20ish on 3rd and 13
    2) slant to GW. he was well covered (and held but no call) and zach put it in a perfect spot
    3) 1st down to wilson at the end to get in the red zone. looked low at 1st, but from the back angle was perfect. it was low to protect GW. if he threw it higher it was a hospital ball. allowed GW to make the catch without taking a hit between 3 defenders

IDFjet and Acad23 like this.
  13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

That's about as close as you'll ever get to saying, "I was wrong."

cval and GasedAndConfused like this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think Zach made some nice plays besides those three passes.

Expectations are low for Zach.... and in this game he met them. ;)

ouchy likes this.
  15. Ralebird

Should have been more specific, I was talking about "regular" RB screens not any of the WR screens, bubble screens, etc. All screens are essentially delayed plays mostly underneath routes going long. I'm pretty sure I've already watched too much NFL which is why when somebody posted that Manningcast clip it all looked wrong to me. The more I looked at it and reran it, the worse it looked. Milano had it like somebody sent him a telegram, he went straight at Carter who looked like he couldn't figure out whether to hang on or get away. Then there were the two receivers I talked about who were both looking for the football while a couple of guys here swore ZW didn't know anyone existed but Carter while the film showed something entirely different.

16. Ralebird

I guess you missed the one that said "mea culpa." But thanks for such a worthwhile contribution to the discussion. As usual.

abyzmul, IDFjet and Acad23 like this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You know what I've never seen? A QB hit a wide receiver on a broken screen where it wasn't a penalty.

18. GasedAndConfused

he improved. he at least hit all the "easy" throws compared to last year where he was dirting them or sailing them 10 yards over everyones head. He only had the 1 big mistake (the INT was a bad decision) and in the end we won because he made less msitakes then allen. but think about how we needed to force 4 turnovers to only giving up 1 turnover just to be even in the score. not to mention breece ripping off huge runs. allen can make up for mistakes, wilson can't or wasn't allowed to. I really hope we open up the playbook. we need to live or die by zach and not play the whole hide our QB offense we did last week.

19. Ralebird

Maybe you should watch more NFL games.

20. GasedAndConfused

so am I. I literally said RB. you are just wrong on this one. it was a simple screen. the RB couldn't slip out because milano read it and blew it up. zach only had 1 good option which was to dirt it. but he hesitated and caused us to get a penalty.