Jets retain their 1st round pick in the 2024 draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 13, 2023.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Save your energy teammates. One quick glance at his threads should give you guys a real feel for what’s worth staying away from. Don’t feed the fake Jet fans,

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It depends upon how he plays the rest of the season, but at this point, I'm leaning towards keeping him. Finding one new starting OT will be hard enough. Finding two will be nigh on impossible.

Borat and dmw like this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We can tag Becton at the cost of the avg of the top 25 RTs. I have no clue and don't wanna look it up, but I'd think RTs go from between $6m and $20m with the avg being around $15m. That seems to be around what his 5th yr would have cost. If he won't sign the tag, we could negotiate a new 4-5yr deal.

I think Becton would rather wait until Brown retires and then move to the LT position, which pays a lot more over time. I just wish Douglas had picked up Becton's 5th year. Our LT would be solved going into 2024. Now, just big ? all over the place.

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Draft them. Use the number 1 pick if they’re out of QB range. Package picks to move up in later rounds and grab a higher quality player.

I don’t care if it’s drafting for need. It’s one of 2 places where the team is desperately in need of upgrades and it just so happens to be what stands between opposing defenses and the other area of the team that’s in desperate need of an upgrade.

For once it’s really as simple as it seems. Find a decent QB and protect him.

JetFanInNE and Jets79 like this.
  5. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

First of all, it was 73 seconds, not 60. Get your facts straight!
    I have no problem swinging for the fence and going out and getting Rogers. If you don't take big risks, you never win big.
    If he retires, so be it. We went all in and only lost 2 2nd round picks. If he comes back, 2024 will be a hell of a year. He'll be behind a better line without a doubt.

Borat, dmw and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

And salary cap money. We lost that as well.

It’ll be interesting to see if he’s on the sidelines at any point helping whoever’s behind center. Dude should at least be an unofficial QB coach since he made us bring in a fucking Hacket at OC.

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

the injury sucks and definitely kills our Super Bowl hopes and possibly (probably!) even our playoff hopes in a very tough AFC

However, that’s a freak injury that, while it did happen to us in 1999 also, can’t be used as a reason not to do the deal.

Typical Jets luck in this for sure, but it was still the right move to make

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

You really can’t script this stuff though. Vinny doing the coin toss was just courting disaster.

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Don't feed the troll, friend.

Best to just ignore them and move on.

papapump and JetFanInNE like this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm probably in the minority here but I really think we should look into drafting a QB with that 1st rounder this year.

Barring a historical turnaround from Zach this year, we know what he is, a bottom-tier starting QB. Aaron Rodgers will be 40, going on 41, and coming off of a torn achilles, and that's even assuming he wants to go through the rehab process and return to the field next year.

Depending on how the season goes we're most likely picking anywhere from the early teens to the early 20's and this draft class is stacked with QB talent. We're not going to be bad enough to get Caleb Williams or Drake Maye but Quinn Ewers, JJ McCarthy, Shedeur Sanders, Bo Nix, and Michael Penix Jr. are all guys I've seen going in the 1st round in mocks lately. Obviously we have to see how the season plays out, both for us and some of these college prospects, and it's possible not all of these guys declare but there's a decent chance that a solid QB prospect could be on the board when we pick in the 1st.

Even if Rodgers does come back next year, how much more does he have left? Will he be the same QB after the achilles? I feel like this could be a really good opportunity to get a good QB prospect and actually try to develop them properly by letting them sit for 1-2 season(s) and learning behind one of the all-time greats before Rodgers moves on.

papapump and dawinner127 like this.
  11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Spot on. Unless zach has an insane turnaround, the pick will be a QB. Which one? I have no idea, but it will be a QB.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If Zach shows that he isn't the answer, then by all means they should look to get another QB, but given this team's history of being unable to develop young QBs, I think it would be better for them to get a good vet in FA or via trade and use the draft picks to improve the OL. We've gone almost a decade and a half since our last good OL, and it's no coincidence that we haven't made the playoffs during that time. Between the inability to find and develop young QBs, and improving the OL, the Jets prove year after year that they don't know what they're doing offensively. Maybe things are changing, but so far the results don't show it.

Fiftynine, NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Lol hopefully no more Achilles tears for us

14. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

As will every other team, and he’s gonna cost an arm and a leg if he does start and play decent the entire season. The only reason you don’t exercise his 5th year option is if you reeeeaaally believe he’s not going to be in the long term plan. His 5th year was relatively reasonable given his age and position. In my opinion I don’t think Becton wants to be here long term. He’s been (rightfully) criticized during his career here, but the NY media obviously amplifies it by quite a bit. He’s a guy with rabbit ears that would thrive best in the obscurity of places like TEN, AZ, CLE, etc…. We’ll very likely be looking to add 2 OT’s next season.

15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't fully disagree with what you're saying but I think the most important factor in us not making the playoffs in over a decade is what we've had at QB and not the OL.

A great QB can mask a ton of deficiencies, especially on the OL, and I don't subscribe to this defeatist mindset that a lot of our fan base has when it comes to our "inability to develop QBs". Each situation is different. Mark Sanchez's lack of development does not factor into Sam Darnold's lack of development, just like Sam Darnold's lack of development does not factor into Zach Wilson's lack of development.

The moment we actively stop trying to draft and develop FQBs, is the moment we've officially lost as a franchise. I sincerely hope that day never comes as it could be the only thing that would make me want to stop being a Jets fan.

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I hope you're right. If Monday night showed us anything it's that we have a very, very good team. This whole offseason was about finding the QB that could take this roster over the top.

If we can add a top 10-15 QB to this roster, we instantly become legitimate contenders, and if you draft that guy you're looking at a 10-15 year window instead of a 2-5 year one.

17. NCJetsfan

It would be foolish to let Becton walk in FA if he has had a good season. We may need to draft 2 anyway, as I haven't been impressed by Mitchell, and who knows what we have in Warren, but if Becton has a good season, he should be back unless he doesn't want to be.

Borat likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

If Rodgers is back, we definitely have to protect him; otherwise, he'll just get injured again, and we'll be right back where we are now., and then the rookie would be forced to start. What good will it do then to have drafted a QB if we can't protect him? We'd either wind up getting him injured or harrassed and pounded like Zach was or like David Carr was in Houston years ago and damaged or ruined. I think LT/OT has to be the #1 priority. Hopefully Becton has a good year, and he will then be able to man one of the OT positions, but if not, or he walks in FA we probably will need 2 OTs. We're not going to be able to sign any quality OT In FA, so that means we will have to draft them.

Borat and KY Jets Fan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I agree that we cannot stop drafting and trying to develop QBs, but per my earlier response to your post, it will be pointless to draft another if we can't protect him. Yes, it would be ideal to draft a young QB and have him sit and learn behind Rodgers, but not if we can't protect Rodgers, and he winds up getting hurt again. We'd be laughed out of the NFL for drafting another QB instead of fixing the OT positions, and rightfully so. The theory this year was that Rodgers gets the ball out so quickly that we could get by with Brown and Becton at OT. We see how that worked out.

Borat likes this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rodgers or whoever the QB is also have to protect themselves. Rodgers injury Monday night was not the OL's fault.

What good would it do to have a good OL if we still have bottom tier QB play? Do you think we're going to go very far if we continue to get Zach Wilson/Sam Darnold/Mark Sanchez level production for the next decade+?

FA is where you address immediate needs, the draft is where you address future needs and there is no bigger future need for this franchise than a true FQB.