Gutsy performance by Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 11, 2023.

1. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

thats not how I saw it. It looked to me like Zach was throwing it to the defender and that Wilson knocked it away and was able to catch it.

Ralebird likes this.
  2. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

My coworker said the same. I had to replay it for him to show him what I meant.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

3. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Couldn’t agree more, at some point we’re gonna need to actually throw the ball. We can’t win consistently win with 14 completions and 150 yards passing.

And you’re right on him being under duress, and he was taking hits. YET I still didn’t see him running scared!

ColoradoContrails, NY Jets68 and burf like this.
  4. Yankee6

regardless on if im wrong about that ONE play, ive seen plenty before that play to know that hes not good enough to get the job done. Im not even sure hes good enough to not be in the bottom 5 of QBs. Shit if he could just be decent we could still have a good team. Im not convinced hes able.

5. Yankee6

btw for what its worth I just watched a clip on youtube of the Jets post game live and a dude on there said it should have been intercepted. Also Michael Kay whos opinion I really respect, said "it was a terrible throw, it should have been picked off!"

#225 Yankee6, Sep 12, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  6. burf

burf Well-Known Member

One last thing on Zach... for now...
    Everyone was shocked at that moment, when AR's injury registered after just 4 plays.
    That was utter bizarroland for me... and I never wanted AR, although I've grown to like him.
    It was like this slow-motion, crazy-weird moment in time.
    I wasn't as deflated as most of you, when the reality became Zach playing the rest of the game.

My thinking was, in some sense, this was the way it was supposed to be.
    Zach was chosen as the Jets FQB of the future.
    Here he was, after all the BS of his first two years, thrust onto the field under surreal circumstances.
    As surreal as it was to me, I tried to imagine how surreal it must've been for Zach.

To me, a good QB needs to have an arm, needs some athletic ability, a good set of balls, and most importantly, a head to process everything he sees, & has learned, instantaneously in game-time.

The moment wasn't too big for Zach. Yeah, he made some of his usual mistakes, & didn't play particularly well, but damn, the pressure he was under... & he didn't crack. Even after that duh interception.
    He did make some tough pressure passes, & made that 4th-down.
    So, for me, Zach checked off a different box, he has a good set, & can function under pressure.

What remains for him is the head part.
    And I saw him make some reads, he wouldn't have made last season.
    He seems to be learning his job, & watching his post-game presser, he seems more grounded & serious.
    So, all I can be is hopeful that he's ready take a big step, toward being a good NFL QB.

Brook!, LAJet, dmw and 7 others like this.
  7. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Zach was throwing it to a spot.
    It's easy to criticize players, without taking into account that GW actually had someone defending his route.
    It's not like Zach & GW were playing catch.
    The CB prevented GW from getting to the spot, & GW did what he had to do to catch it.
    He could of tried to bat it away, but instead, kept his focus on catching the sucker.
    He stuck his hand out, & kinda twisted his palm, which brought it to him.
    I'd bet it was in slow-motion to him.
    Whenever I made cool plays in sports, although they happened quickly, my experience was like time slowing down. Every movement I made I felt my bod adjusting to what I was seeing... frame by frame.

That play to me, was a positive sign for Zach.
    It was a run play, with a pass option, he read it correctly & passed.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I liked your Post ..but part of me respects what Yankee6 is saying and another half tells me NC, Contrails both supports Zach and they are usually right

So right now I can go either North or South on Z Wilson . And this is year # 3 for him so maybe its a charm?...sigh

Brook! and burf like this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Zach's role here this season was to be a solid back-up QB. When he came in, under pressure all night, he did his job. INT was ugly and TD was a magic by GW, which should have been an incompletion, but it was not a bad throw. Overall, he did what a backup is supposed to do. Now, because the Jets are somehow cursed, it's his starting job to lose. This is a different role. He does need to do better if we are to make play-offs. It remains to be seen whether he can be the guy for the whole season to lead us to play-offs (forget the SB, that dream is dead, at least for now). But on Monday Zach came in and did his job, kudos to him for that.

burf, hornblower and NY Jets68 like this.
  10. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Can someone kindly point to one shred of statistical evidence that could give me reason to have any faith whatsoever in Zach Wilson ?

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Faith is belief in the absence of proof, by definition.

12. HackettSuxTNG

Evidence does not guarantee proof.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

All I got

HackettSuxTNG likes this.
  14. HackettSuxTNG

That gave me a pleasant laugh. Thank you.

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Just watched this.

Doesn't change my perception of his game a ton. He wasn't good but he made the plays he had to make to put us in a position to win. I thought the 3rd down throw to Lazard in the 1st quarter was good, his throw to Lazard on 3rd down in the 4th where he kinda got tripped up and just winged it over there to him in the flat was good, and of course the throw to GW on the 3rd down to get us inside the 10 was good (I thought this was his best throw all night. Put the ball in the perfect spot.). The TD throw to GW was just GW being special, not great ball placement but he did check that play at the line to that throw, I'm not sure that's something he would've done last year or his rookie year.

Let's hope he can learn and take some baby steps this year. I'm not banking on it tbh but crazier things have happened. We don't need him to be a Top 10 QB, just don't be the worst starting QB in the league. Right or wrong, Saleh is giving him this opportunity, it's now up to him to capitalize on it. We'll see what he's got over the next few weeks.

17. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

When we hold opposing teams to 9 points or under - He's undefeated.

HomeoftheJets and abyzmul like this.
  18. HackettSuxTNG

That's far more substantive than anything I was expecting.

19. HackettSuxTNG

Correct me if I am wrong, at least two of those passes came with Ineligible Receiver penalties attached to them?

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Saleh, Does not mind winning games this way. He wants his offense to run the ball play conservatively and let the defense do its thing.