Week 1 Studs and Duds NYJ vs Buff

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 12, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs

Beece - he's back. not 100% back but back enough to compile a ridiculous 147 yards on 11 touches including an 83 yard run

Garret Wilson - stats weren't big because of the gameplan after Rodgers went down but man that TD is likely catch of the year in the NFL already. bailed out a bad throw by Zach to make an amazing TD catch and was the turning point in the game.

Gipson - game winning PR in OT

Greg the leg - perfect on the day

Defense as a whole - held Allen to 16 points including an OT drive and created 4 turnovers and 5 sacks.

Quincy Williams - was all over the field. 10 total tackles and a nice PD that saved 4 points

Whitehead - 3 INTs. he clearly watched his film on Allen. probably NFL DPOW

Jefferson - 2 sacks at the DT spot

Q - the anchor of the d-line. had several run stops and got the pressure that lead to one of the INTs

Reed - was our best CB yesterday. didn't really allow anything. 1 catch IIRC

Becton - in his 1st game back after 2 years, was excellent in the run game and solid in pass protection and lasted the whole game no injuries so probably built some confidence back

Duds

the football gods - for making Rodgers repeat Testeverde circa 1999

Brown - was just awful all game. he was also the one that allowed the hit that killed Rodgers

Cook - was pretty ineffective. too much dancing to go nowhere. he needs to make 1 cut and go. 2.5avg isn't going to cut it. especially when carter got 6 on his 1 carry and Breece in less carries had 127 yards to cooks 33

Sauce - yeah I know it's hard to list him as a dud. since he was the top CB last year, but he had a rough game. Allen had a 118.8 QBR throwing at sauce in the 1st half and was 4/4 for 54 yards. the 2nd half wasn't much better but he did get an OPI drawn in a crucial part of the game

EDIT:
    Adding Saleh to the studs and here is why. He knew very early on aaron was done. You could tell. By halftime the entire team knew. imagine being the HC being down 13-3 and your entire team finding out their HOF QB they been drooling over all off season that everyone believed would take them to the promise land is done for the year after 4 plays. Even peyton manning was asked what do you say to the team in that situation and he was like "I have no idea" yet somehow the team rallied behind zach. the D stepped up forcing 2 more turnovers and only allowing 3 points the rest of the game including a 3 and out in the first drive of OT which led to the PR TD by gipson. It would have been easy for the team to give up. they probably had the fight knocked out of them. I know most fans did. but whatever saleh did, he had them out there playing hard and got the W so deserves the credit for that

#1 GasedAndConfused, Sep 12, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Thank you

I was waiting for this. This is our great AFTER GAME thread. :)

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Agree with everything you say. Sauce was the disappointment of the night for me. Maybe I am used to his high standard but damn.

NCJetsfan and westiedog1 like this.
  4. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

I agree that Quinnen Williams had a much better game than the official stat book would indicate.
    His pressure on Allen directly caused at least one of the INTs, he was largely responsible for one of the Jefferson sacks, his TFLs in the run game were huge, and his fumble recovery was critical (and if you watch the replay, textbook heads-up play on how you react and cover the ball).

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Good write up overall. I have a few nitpicks.

Becton wasn't a stud. He was routinely getting beat in pass blocking and wasn't as good in run blocking as the announcers were acting like. Really the only good linemen were AVT and McGovern. The other three - yikes.

I'd add Morstead to the studs. Pretty good punting including two inside the twenty. It was a field position game so that was huge.

Honestly, I'd add Zach to the studs. He had to come off of the bench when nobody expected it, had terrible pass protection, and made the throws when we needed them. Yeah the int was ugly, and nobody is saying he looked great, but he did what it took to get the win in a tough situation. Decent game managing is an improvement for him, which was better than Allen could manage.

Cook wasn't great but he wasn't a dud. He missed most of camp and did catch three passes for 26 yards. He is going to be a good 1-2 punch with Breece. Our running game should greatly help our QBing this season.

Was great, no amazing, to see Breece look like he hadn't lost a step. That's huge for us going forward.

Sauce was weird. It was like he didn't expect they'd throw at him and they threw at him all night.

It was bittersweet, but still a great win, and were in 1st place. Go Jets!

nycarl, LAJet, Bellys Lies and 4 others like this.
  6. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Qunicy was really good last night.

Additional dud:

Will McDonald - I know he didn't play a lot, but he didn't flash at all.

7. GasedAndConfused

becton wasn't the one being beat alot though. he wasn't great in pass pro but he was solid. brown was getting beat so bad that it didn't matter. and all our running success came off the right side. becton pulled out and blocked 2 players on a big breece run. he also had a key block in the 83 yard breece run. we couldn't run on the left at all. hard to him and AVT weren't great in run blocking when we were ripping off big runs behind the 2 of them

zach limited he offense so bad. we clearly didn't trust him at all. garrett had 1v1 alone for every key play and all we did was run. rodgers would audible out and get the TD like he did in preseason. I cna't blame zach for it all but clearly the coaching staff doesn't trust him

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

you want to dud a rookie in his 1st game who got like 10 snaps? lol

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I am willing to give these two a mulligan given the level of competition.

Cook is also playing his first real game as a Jet.

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think Becton got off to a slow start but he did serve up some pancakes.

Breece and Cook will feast on opposing defenses with Becton, AVT, and our tight ends making holes for them.

As long as Zach can hit a high percentage of 10-15 yard passes and avoid mistakes we could be OK and Becton is literally a big part of that.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Becton was fine. The fucking waste of space on the other end was terrible. I have a feeling we will see Becton at LT sooner rather than later.

joelip, NCJetsfan, NY Jets68 and 2 others like this.
  12. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Stud
    Micheal Clemons
    Big time play punching the ball out of Allen's hand and creating that huge fumble late in the game.

joelip, NCJetsfan, Hemi and 8 others like this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Can I give a "dud" to whoever thought that having a 38 year old left tackle protecting a 39 year old quarterback was a good idea?

joelip, NCJetsfan, teamgreen and 10 others like this.
  14. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

This. I think Sauce learned a valuable lesson...THANKFULLY early in the season. Unlike college where "who you are" carries over year to year, here in the pro's you play each year on it's own merits. Maybe he was thinking that they wouldn't target him based on last year. Well, guess he found out the hard way. Of course, it wasn't horrible and it didn't really cost the team so... We'll see how he rebounds now that he realizes he still has to PLAY in the league and not just "show up."

nycarl, NY Jets68 and ouchy like this.
  15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I recall in Becton's rookie year, he and G Pat Elflein (another player the Jets should have re-signed) opened up some big holes for Jet backs to run through. Agree, they should exploit Becton and AVT on the right side for runs now. It took Gase half the season to recognize what he had, hope Saleh isn't as stupid.

As for Sauce, I'm a big fan of his (I even have his t-shirt), but he was awful last night. He needs to step it up, because the ability to take out the opponents best receiver is key to the Jets success this season

NCJetsfan, Lon Chaney and James Hasty like this.
  16. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Dud for the broadcast decision to bring on some douche retired ref immediately announcing that there should have been a tripping penalty on Jet walkoff punt return.

Jets79, Savatage, dogg and 11 others like this.
  17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I considered adding Saleh to the duds.

What a terrible job of assembling a line, including guard where Lakin looked like trash. Everyone knew we needed tackles, a decent backup QB, and now seeming more depth at guard, and he let it all slide.

Also love the timeout at the end of the first half. Saleh cant help coaching desperate. But we won so...

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah... that was kinda fucked up... especially because it would have been a weak flag.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Dud - ESPN's entire game coverage. Just terrible.

#19 ouchy, Sep 12, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
    ColoradoContrails and Lon Chaney like this.
  20. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

agreed this was a shitty fucking move

teamgreen and Lon Chaney like this.