Gutsy performance by Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 11, 2023.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You're telling me? I went to my first game for this franchise at the Polo Grounds.

HackettSuxTNG likes this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Gutsy? yes
    Good? not even

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Yes I did. Under the circumstances he played well.

Came out the second half and marched the team down the field and ultimately led a 10 point come back against one of the best defenses in the NFL.

The INT was brutal, but I like the way he rebounded, and I did not like the backwards scramble.

I loved both throws to Lazard and the both throws to GW

Like I said under the circumstances solid.

More importantly I like how his teammates rallied around him especially GW.

The expectations for this kid that some have are unrealistic. This is third season and next week will be only his 23 rd start.

Look around the league, there were plenty of worse performances from very high paid QBs.

Jojo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. Ralebird

The TD was thrown to the defender - Garrett Wilson made nothing short of a spectacular catch on a badly thrown ball. Two plays before that Garrett Wilson made a fantastic catch on a pass thrown into the dirt. Those are the facts that the video supports. Two terrible passes that you loved. We saw the same Zach Wilson we have seen for the past two years, unable to see the field and running backwards out of the pocket; at least last night he barely got rid of the ball before being sacked for twenty yard losses, so maybe there is a bit of improvement after all.

SOJAZ likes this.
  5. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

How can anyone with fully functioning eyes argue against these points? It's like we are all receiving different video feeds than them.

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

GW sat down on the zone and ZW threw it to a spot. That was not that bad of a throw considering they haven’t worked together all preseason. Same with TD. You could also say GW should have went another yard into the end zone. The ball is thrown well before the receiver stops his route. It is a timing thing as well, not just inaccuracy.
    I thought he threw the ball for the most part with confidence. Which is a big change.

Acad23 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Ralebird

The next time I see Zach Wilson do anything with confidence and control will be the first.

SOJAZ, Pepsiguy5 and stinkyB like this.
  8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

TD, he let his playmaker make a play. In the dirt (LOL) that was a good throw.

9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

It most definitely was not a good throw, Zach said this also.

That's just not rational

SOJAZ and Ralebird like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that is one way to put it...

once in a lifetime catch by Garrett Wilson to take the ball away from the defender but yeah, Zach Wilson "let him" make the play

SOJAZ, stinkyB and Ralebird like this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He said the TD pass was not a good throw. The other throw was a good throw.

12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The scrutiny of Zach is irrational. Josh Allen had three picks and Mosely dropped a pick six and he played with the ones all week. Give the kid a break.

Acad23, Jojo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Sorry thought you were talking about TD pass.

The low pass was ok not great.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The low Garrett Wilson catch was thrown to the only place he could’ve caught it. He had a cornerback in cover 2 sinking under Wilson’s flag route. If he hits him in stride, he’s picked.

The touchdown was a terrible throw by Zach Wilson, I agree.

15. Ralebird

Do yourself a favor - take another look. Maybe he'll start a trend in the NFL of confusing defenders by throwing the ball directly at them so the playmaker can make the play. I expected a challenge flag on the catch in the (fake) dirt, it was so low and difficult to field. But you're entitled to have the opinion it was a good throw if you still feel that way after taking a fresh look.

16. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Anything close to a 50-50 ball to anybody else is more like a 75-25 ball to GW. Anything remotely catchable to GW is a good pass.

Zach did as well as could be expected.

The Jets are cursed at QB, whenever it looks like we have a solution, we get slammed with a season ending injury. Think Vinnie, think Pennington, think OBrien.

Though Joe has overall done a very good job of roster building, we all knew as the off-season evolved that the O-line and the backup QB were unaddressed issues. Why didnt Joe know that ???? Gotta confess, I thought it would take more than 4 plays to make that apparent.

There isnt much left out there at QB, but the immediate problem is to at least see if somebody out there can be a QB2 upgrade over Boyle.

17. Ralebird

This thread is about Wilson, that's why it was started and why everything about his performance is rational and relevant; neither Allen nor Mosely were ever on the field at the same time as Wilson and have nothing to do with what Wilson did.

18. Ralebird

The Jets need a number one QB, two and three can sort each other out.

19. Ralebird

Disagree on the low ball, there was a decent amount of space between the two defenders when seen from the shot above the field rather than the sideline shot we first saw; it could have come in a couple of feet higher without anyone but GW getting near it.

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We put all teh blame on the
    As do you, his all pro receiver made a great play end of story TD! the "low" throw was a good safe throw. Like I said the expectations are unreasonable. The kid cam off the bench without and first-team reps and played well. but but he made this bad throw that was still caught for big plays. But But

F*** me. Didi you not watch week one around the league?

Hurts - played awful
    Prescott completed 54% of his passes
    Burrows completed 45%
    Pickett threw two picks
    Trevor Lawrence was inconsistent

How about we give the kid a break and give him props for coming in the worst situation possible and coming away with a win. I am sure there will be plenty more opportunities to criticize

ColoradoContrails and NY Jets68 like this.