Corey Davis Retires

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SOJAZ, Aug 23, 2023.

1. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Nice callout, but Burkett was 31 when he retired, and played nine seasons. That's three more than Davis, which is a lifetime.

Anyway, in 1991, WR Chris Burkett recovered four fumbles without ever fumbling himself. I wonder if that's some kind of record for an offensive player.

tomdeb likes this.
  2. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

I keep saying to people. We have 3 legit starting TEs. We can run 13 or even 23 personnel pretty much all day if ARod/Hack wants too, especially if the defense keeps getting teams to go 3 and out, allowing us to win time of possession battle.

This means you only need two WRs who can create separation atmost. and Wilson, Hardman and Lazard to a lesser degree can do this for us. Expect a lot of screen game, dump-offs, RB slants, and Wilson/Hardman winning one on one matchup over the top.

I think the offense gets more explosive without Davis.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

It seemed odd with Davis lately, but it makes more sense now this came out.

He made bank, and he's ready to get out. Can't hate someone for that. You need to, as and organization, be about to tell the lifers from the ones who consider it a job. In sports particularly.

4. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Sadly not the worst I’ve seen today (relax, I’ve been on several sites all day)

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Weird that Saleh opened up his presser by saying "his heart goes out to Corey and his family."

Seems like it could be more than just a player who doesn't want to play anymore.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  6. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Guess Acad23 has me on ignore…

7. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Shades of QB Andrew Luck walking away at age 29, with no warning, which was a significantly bigger story, considering Luck's position and status. Sometimes one's life path takes precedence over a child's game. Yeah, hard to believe, isn't it?

That makes one First Rounder and two Second Rounder WRs the Jets have blown through in just one off season. And they were all relatively young. Nice!

Ralebird and Jets79 like this.
  8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

9. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

At least he did it before halftime.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  10. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Lazard gets so much hate on this site and I can't fathom why. By no means is he a #1, but he's so slept on.

Sent from my IPhone 43 using Tapatalk V.86

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If that's the case then Joe Douglas really screwed up. As a GM you need to give money to guys who love or need the game and want to be here.

I think something unpredictable off the field occurred so I will reserve judgement on Douglas for now.

12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Not worried a bit. Great QBs make average receivers good and good receivers great. Think of all the great QBs and all the guys they threw to. Most of them nobody ever heard of until they got hooked up with the QB greats. Example: Wes Welker, average receiver with Miami, great receiver with Brady.

Jets79, NY Jets68 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

So just to throw out some replacement options:

Free Agents:
    Julio Jones
    Kenny Golladay
    TY Hilton
    Jarvis Landry
    Sammy Watkins

Not sure if I love the thought of any of these guys but I could be talked into Julio or Watkins if they go the Vet FA route. Both are above average run blockers who you could probably squeeze 1 more decent year out of especially if they're a 2a/2b with Lazard or 3rd option behind Lazard. The best thing about going this route is I'd imagine they'd be relatively cheap (1-2M maybe?) so they wouldn't preclude us from making a move during the season if a bigger name at WR becomes available.

Something to be mindful of too is roster cuts are coming up and while it's unlikely that anyone they would try to claim on waivers makes a huge impact this season, it's possible a solid WR becomes available next Tuesday when everyone has to get down to their 53 man roster.

Trade:
    Davante Adams
    Mike Evans
    Hunter Renfrow
    Michael Gallup
    Tyler Boyd

It feels like a trade is the best option and while it would be awesome to get Davante or Mike Evans, those seem unlikely to me at this point in time.

The more realistic trade options would be Tyler Boyd or Michael Gallup IMO. Both are the 3rd guy on their respective teams and I think you could make a strong case for either of them being the 2a in this offense with Lazard being the 2b/3.

It's also possible that they just stick with what they have and let 2 of Brownlee/Gipson/Taylor make the roster now.

NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think that's the most likely reason as well, though I will fully admit, this is a message board speculation. Saleh did say his heart goes out to him, which initially made me think there is something more going on. But then at the end Saleh said he is excited about his new opportunities/path something like that. Davis also mentioned something about being thankful for healthy children, which rules out one possibility. To me the simplest explanation that @Ralebird offered is the most likely one: he is set for life already financially and would rather spend time with family or on other interests. Basically not unlike Andrew Luck.

Now, that really sucks for the Jets. I really like Cory as a player. Lazard to me is a good #3 guy and Hardman good #4. We don't really have #2, and now we have to pray the folks we have stay healthy, particularly GW. If something were to happen to GW, we basically have the same WRs or worse than GB had last year, which caused issues for Rodgers. Besides Rodgers himself, GW is the next guy on the list who MUST stay healthy.

We will not be able to find a replacement easily. Guys of Corey's caliber are not available at this stage. I wish Davis had the epiphany a bit earlier, maybe then JD would have made sure we got someone. But now, we pray WRs stay healthy, we use more 12 personnel with 2 TEs, and maybe even some sort of Breece/Cook combo together. There are ways to get creative, but GW, Lazard, and Hardman need to stay healthy. Then who knows, maybe once some teams suck, we can get a good WR from them via trade mid season. Long way to go before that though.

Jets79 and Lon Chaney like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Thanks for compiling that. Watkins would be the guy to sign if they opt for the FA route. Rodgers & Watkins have a lot of respect for one another. I dont love the rest of those guys any more

Trade-wise obviously Devante Adams would be the jewel of course but I dont know how feasible that really is.

Evans is interesting with his height. Renfrow meh, Gallup meh, Boyd seems similar to Corey Davis so maybe thats good but the Bengals are trying to win too idk if they would really even trade him

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

If it's a temporary issue, he conceivably could return next season.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the issue, but if he's just tired of football, he could have tried living in the dark for a few days and then taking hallucinogens. Aaron Rodgers could have helped with that.

stinkyB likes this.
  18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ya, LOL me neither. I was kinda joking about JoeD bringing Mims back to fill in for Corey. There was a lot of talk last year about Joe cutting Corey (to save tons of cap$) and promoting Mims to take over for him. I guess that didn't happen!

19. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

You bring up THE one aspect of the Aaron Rodgers Jets Era that I am disappointed about. I really really wanted to see what improvements Aaron's quarterbacking would cause to Elijah Moore, Denzel Mims and Corey Davis. I absolutely expected one or more of them to elevate their game here. Now we will not witness it. We already knew where Garrett Wilson's game was headed. When the news broke that he was coming here, Elijah Moore was the first player I thought about. Then of course we traded him, to acquire draft capital used in our deal with GB...

20. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

How could anyone forget Burkett? He could catch 90 yard TD passes in Tecmo Bowl:
    [​IMG]