Corey Davis Retires

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SOJAZ, Aug 23, 2023.

1. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Why did he wait until now? Feel for the guy but pretty ridiculous to wait this long.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Remember when Bill Belicheck stole a million dollars from a dying old man? No relation to the thread, really. I just felt like calling him a scumbag.

3. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Get Braylon Edwards a freaking uniform

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

That was my point....2a/2b with Lazard and others, versus 1b behind GW when the off-season started. 1b is a lot more fun than 2b (or not 2b!). He may have figured that Garrett would draw dbl teams every snap, leaving him 1/1 and getting a ton of catches....then Lazard and others happened, and he wasn't too happy about being on the outside looking in on all these AR favorites Joe brought in. Anyway, it was just my guess.

5. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Julio Jones is available.

Certainly not at his peak but still effective.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Word! Your post should have gotten A LOT more likes!!!

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think it was either Medical, or Marital.

Not Sure likes this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

well I hope CD is all right…

That being said, if our WR group is GW, Lazard, Hardman, Cobb, and one or two of the undrafted guys, that’s not a terrible group, but it’s also not among the best in the NFL types either. Not that Davis makes it the best in the league, but he does add to it…if our guys can stay healthy, it’s a “good enough” group, and GW can be special and can be a true #1, but I would feel better with some kind of upgrade being added

Not sure who that would be, and I do like our group of TEs and our backs are also good receivers, so we could win with this group, but it one injury here could be pretty damning

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear him go.
    to leave 10M on the table, his heart needs to attend away from this . I wish him well, and I’m sure he’s welcome back next year should he change his mind.

For this year I wouldn’t bring in another receiver. We should keep both Brownlee and Gipson. They’ve been impressive, are cheap, and can be part of future.
    With extra money please sign Peters as backup emergency T, he should be cheap enough.
    Cut Turner, IR Warren, and will roll with 9 OL.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Nice of him to wait until we have little use for the $8-10 million he left on the table.

Lon Chaney and Acad23 like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember Chris Burkett.

I don't think you're wrong. It certainly won't hurt his chances of making the roster, and can only help. I think it will all depend upon what the Jets think of his progress and potential. I haven't been impressed in what little I've seen of him, but I haven't seen him in practice every day, don't know what all the things are that he needs to work on besides blocking, not committing holding penalties, and maybe route running.

12. NCJetsfan

Cobb was never going anywhere anyway. He's a Rodgers favorite, and he's a great 3rd down WR. He consistently gets open and converts a very high percentage of the throws to him on 3rd down into 1st downs.

joelip likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

That's uncalled for. I didn't particularly care for his initial post on the matter, but he made a 2nd post stating that he hoped that all was OK with Davis and his family. He has always seemed like a good guy and has been a good poster.

14. NCJetsfan

Ooooh, you're gonna have some posters cursing you! LOL

I don't see JD bringing Mims back under any circumstances, except maybe every other WR on the roster went down with a serious injury and Mims was the only one out there who knew the offense. Even then, I think the Jets would probably just go with a 3 TE and 2 RB offense and eschew WRs altogether.

I think Mims either doesn't love the game and was just doing it for the money or isn't very bright and doesn't have a great work ethic. If I'm mistaken and he does love the game, he sure didn't show it. At this point, I don't think any NFL team will give him a 2nd chance. If he wants to keep playing football, then he needs to go to work on his route running, his focus, his work ethic, and his hands, then try out for an XFL or CFL team. If he can have some success there, maybe another NFL team will give him another chance in a couple of years.

15. NCJetsfan

I vaguely remember Cedric Houston, but didn't remember his problem. Who was the very good, if not great, Niners LB that shockingly retired a few years ago?

16. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Not like they're real human beings. They're on TV for god's sake!

17. NCJetsfan

I don't remember Blaylock at all. I remember Barlow. I think we got him from the Niners.

18. NCJetsfan

You'd have to know the details of why he is retiring to have the answer to your question. I'm certain that it wasn't intentional. Either he struggled with the question for a long time and it just took time to make the decision (which would have been a very hard one) or he or his wife or one of his children had a medical issue a while back, got some kind of preliminary diagnosis and treatment, and just recently had another test and the results weren't good.

19. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Shocked that this happened, but this does not make their WR group significantly worse

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Lots of people find themselves on a career path that they find they absolutely hate. I think the simplest answer as to why is that the guy just didn't want to be a football player any longer. It's not very different from the guy who comes from a long line of lawyers or doctors and after doing the school and grinding away at it for years gets up one morning and decides he'd rather be a welder or run an ice cream shop. People frequently do what they believe is expected of them by family and others.

It's not surprising to me that the money that has been mentioned here many times would not be enough to make the job more personally rewarding. He's already banked over fifty million from playing football; that should keep him off the welfare rolls for a while.

NY Jets68, Borat and KY Jets Fan like this.