Denzel Mims (Traded to Lions - Released by Lions)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jul 19, 2023.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. He was plenty talented at Baylor and looked pretty good his rookie season. His problem is mental, not lack of talent.

2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

It’s really simple. We have a legendary veteran QB who showed up for OTA’s to work with his new team. Mims skipped it. I don’t know the reason, it may be a perfectly good one, but Rodgers is going to want to work with who he trusts. I just hope whatever Mims skipped camp for was worth losing the opportunity to work with the best QB he’s probably ever going to have a chance to work with.

Hemi, Nyjets4eva, NY Jets68 and 3 others like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

college talent and NFL talent is different. college you can get by on being an elite athlete (9.75RAS) in the NFL you can't though. talent is "natural aptitude or skill" he was big and fats but lacked skill for the WR position. didn't have good agility which led to poor route running and couldn't create space. also had unreliable hands. in college he dominated with size winning alot of 50/50 balls. that doesn't fly in the NFL outside of a couple of WRs. mims didn't have the skill for it at that level. to add to that, he obviously had issues learning the playbook which only hurt him more.

KingRoach and Nyjets4eva like this.
  4. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

With an actual QB, maybe 1?

5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I suspect a big part of this downfall was that for whatever behind the scene personal reasons not known to us fans Saleh and staff were never big fans of Mims. I think this is basically just purging the system of a guy they didn't really want.

Which I don't get as the few glimpses I got of Mims as a fan. I always felt like there was something there and he seemed like a pretty good kid to me from the little snippets and interviews I saw. I was holding out hope for a little bit of a turnaround this season.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they didn’t throw him any 50/50 balls to find out if he can win them though.

I remember one game they threw 3 fade routes to him in the red zone, shoulda been a chance to see if he can haul them in at the NFL level. But all 3 of Wilson’s throws weren’t even close at all

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think talent is talent. Skill is another matter. That's where I think there is a difference between the college game and the NFL. I agree that most players can't get by in the NFL on just their natural ability/talent, but Antonio Cromartie did. The only reason he wasn't one of the greatest CBs ever was because he was too lazy to work to refine his technique.

Mims hands weren't unreliable at Baylor. I think the only reason they were unreliable with the Jets was that he either developed a mental block with MLF and the Jets or his concentration was affected by not knowing the offense and/or he wasn't as open as he was in college due to his poor route running. He may have also lost confidence due to the negative way in which MLF handled him, not getting a chance to play, and may have also pressed some and tried too hard when he finally got the opportunity to play. If he makes the Lions and gets the chance to play, I think we'll see a better player.

I've said numerous times that I also think perhaps he is not very bright and the WCO was too complex of an offense for him, especially having to learn 3 WR positions.

8. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

i was INTO Mims as a prospect. Wanted Tee Higgins then Mims. I was wrong about the latter ( i tink greenbean was the same

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Funny thing is I feel like Mims is the type of WR that Rodgers would throw it up just to see if he can make a play. That’s something Zach didn’t know how to do.

blackssmagic likes this.
  10. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

11. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Lol - That's six bucks above my asking price! ;)

JetFanInNE likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

maybe, maybe not. we'll see if he changes on the lions. but wilson had no issues as a rookie in the system and his film was clean. moore had no issues either, he just had an attitude problem about not getting enough balls.

13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Mims just isn't a good football player. It's not rocket science!

#113 bicketybam, Jul 24, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Cut by Lions. Kid is snakebit. He should seriously consider either the XFL or the CFL to get his shit together.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

OC's fault

apjbfc likes this.
  16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I read one report that they were unimpressed with him before the injury. He should just hang up the cleats.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The book has yet to be written on Denzel Mims!

Hemi and Ralebird like this.
  18. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Read yesterday that Lions HC was commenting on that vapid look Mims has. Football was probably his best shot at a decent life. Good luck to him.

19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Is it still Saleh's fault Mims sucks?

BacktoQueens likes this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yah just saw he was cut…

Well, looks like yet another 2nd round WR bust in a long list of those for us…