Training Camp Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jul 19, 2023.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks, but it's best for the team that Brown start and play at a high level since neither Turner nor Mitchell have looked competent at all. IMO if both Brown and Becton can play at a high level this season and stay on the field, we'll be a playoff team.
    With the way Turner has looked in TC and preseason, it's best for the team that both Brown and Becton are the starters. My main quibble is not having Becton practicing with the 1s, but Saleh's words today about talking with Becton yesterday, and saying that he now trusts Becton for the first time in a long time is telling. He didn't trust Becton at all. I can't say that I really blame him with how things turned out last year, but then he shouldn't have said that there would be a competition for the LT spot in TC. It's clear that was never Saleh's intent. In his mind, if Becton earned a starting spot, it was always going to be at RT this season.

Borat likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I mean for a 4th round undersized project rookie who had a serious illness he actually played pretty well. He looks like in a year or 2 he can be a legit starting RT

LAJet likes this.
  3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I can say he didn’t earn it bc the guy who spent the last 2 years on IR and our current starting LT don’t start on the same level. One is a starter and the other is trying to take his job.

dawinner127 likes this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He sucked last year.

5. KingRoach

Again with your verbal abuse. @mods can we do something about this

6. bicketybam

You need to slam that report button. I'm on a pitch count and I'm probably 3/4 through my report limit.

KingRoach likes this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Which is why I said over longer periods generally you get a decent idea, not any specific game. I have seen them grade games where I completely disagreed, with the latest example of grading Tipp pretty low against Panthers, even though I thought he was solid. Over a longer term though, usually they give a decent idea of a player. Anyway, we started this talking about Turner, there is no argument that last year he was bad, there was plenty reports and eye tests on that, and certainly reports from practice were that he is an absolute joke this year too. And he still may be better than Max, that's the sad part. I hope neither one of them sees the field, but I can bet that at least one will, and more likely both (hopefully not at the same time).

8. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why we last minute canceled on a shared practice with Tampa today?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maybe it was another rain storm that only affects one team.

Ralebird likes this.
  10. burf

burf Well-Known Member

The way Saleh has handled talent over his tenure, has often troubled me.
    I have a helluva lot more confidence in JD, than Saleh... I have lots of questions about Saleh, the biggest is how he seemingly lost the team last season, after allowing the team to divide over the Zach stuff... which foreshadowed the late season collapse.

So, I wonder if some of the JD head-scratchers, are JD doing/giving what Saleh wants??
    Saleh is still my biggest question mark, as far as the Jets really leaping into contention.
    And his handling of Becton, is kinda troubling, & illogical.
    We shall see...

Lon Chaney and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I agree. I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd bet that some of JD's head scratchers are due to what Saleh wants. He wants to work closely with the HC, share the same vision, and work together. That's what a GM should do, but he also is the HC's boss, and no two people agrree all the time. If it's true that JD's head scratchers are due to Saleh, then he needs to do what he thinks is best for the team when that differs from what Saleh.

burf likes this.
  12. bicketybam

Who hired who?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

That won't be much consolation to Jets fans when Rodgers winds up on IR. I have hopes that he will develop as well and become our starting RT, but he's not ready yet.

14. NCJetsfan

According to Jets fans and the media, Saleh was the top HC candidate that year. I disagreed with that, especially since we were going to be drafting a rookie QB and most likely starting him day 1. I can't crucify JD for that. We don't know what happened in the interviews. Perhaps Daboll wanted complete control of the roster. Perhaps he didn't really want the Jetst job and just used it to practice interviewing. Perhaps he didn't want to draft and start a rookie QB. Perhaps JD's and Daboll's visions were contradictory or they had a personality conflict, Saleh is energetic and positive. Perhaps Daboll was negative. Since we can't know what happened, all we can do is guess. I'd like to think that JD knew he should hire the guy who had a lot of experience and success developing QBs, but he may not have. Daboll might have been positive and there may have been no issues. JD may have simply gone with the guy he liked best. If the latter is true, then imo he has two big strikes on his ledger: 1. not hiring Daboll, and 2. allowing Saleh to hire MLF and a rookie QB Coach and bringing in the WCO rather than an offense that was designed around Zach. He's built a great roster, been great with trades, and done well with the cap and FA, but if he makes another big mistake, I may be ready to move on, or at least starting thinking about that.

15. KingRoach

What/which head scratchers?

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that decision was made on Sunday, maybe Monday at the latest, not at the last minute. Seems like the boys get a bit hard to control for two days in a row in joint practices. I think it may be hard for the Jets to make arrangements in future years if they're going to do this and not even allow the visitors to use the field for their own practice in the afternoon. It appears the Giants opened up their facility to the Bucs for their second day in town. It makes you wonder what's going on that we don't know about. Could be some pissed off Buccaneers Saturday.

#1156 Ralebird, Aug 18, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
    BrowningNagle and Lon Chaney like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

So day off today or is Siegfried and Roy coming in? God forbid they do any work 2 days in a row at Bob Saleh's vacation resort

abyzmul likes this.
  18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Yesterday's practice being cancelled has been known for a few days now, well before Tampa arrived in NY/NJ.

But the Dov Kleiman's of the world just care about generating clicks so they don't focus on being accurate, just inflammatory.

NCJetsfan, abyzmul and dawinner127 like this.
  19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

we lost avt and breece...THAT was the foreshadowing.... anyone with a brain knew were capable of losing ANY game we played....
    then we lost every game we played. shrug.

20. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

what team does mike white start for, again?

NCJetsfan likes this.