Training Camp Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jul 19, 2023.

1. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

You make a point worth considering. On the other hand, if either Becton or Brown has physical limitations due to their injuries by the time week 1 comes around, wouldn't the one who is relatively healthy be the one to start at LT? The fact is that Becton has been in camp and steadily progressing in proving that his knee is sound enough to play, while Brown has not been in camp and who knows where he is at physically?

Should we ignore Becton's hard work day by day in camp and elevate Brown automatically when he comes in? Saleh said it would be a competition, but apparently Brown to this point has been unable to compete. Would elevating Brown automatically mark Saleh as a lying hypocrite?

From an organizational perspective, Becton has the potential to be a long-term, franchise-type left tackle, while Brown is clearly a stop-gap veteran on his last legs. The fact is that it would be better for the Jets as an organization if Becton proves that his knee problems are behind him and that he is ready to assume the role of long-term Jets' LT.

NCJetsfan and AtlantaJet like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If you think about it logically, the best possible outcome for the OL this season is Brown at LT and Becton at RT, and both of them playing in 80%+ of the games. Brown's been in the league for 16 years now and has exclusively played LT, obviously at 38 Brown's a bit of a question mark but we've seen him play at a competent level. Even with the concerns around Brown, I think we can both agree that he's a clear step up from Turner or Mitchell at this point, right? That being said, it's highly likely that Brown and/or Becton have to sit out at least a few games so Saleh is using this opportunity to get Turner and Mitchell some opps with and against the 1's.

Saleh's said it from the jump this offseason, he's going to put the 5 best players out there. It's unfortunate that Brown's injury has kept him out of TC to this point but I'm sure Saleh's seeing what the back-ups are doing and realizes that Brown is essentially a lock to start at LT when he returns. So with that, 3 of the 5 spots on the OL are essentially locked in, LT (Brown, when he's healthy), LG (Tomlinson), and RG (AVT). As frustrating as the musical chairs act with Turner and Mitchell during TC has been, he was trying to see if one of them would take hold of the RT job and have the other one get comfortable being the swing OT in the likely event that either of the starters at OT goes down. I'm glad to see that they're going to start giving Becton reps at RT today and I hope he continues to play as well as he has with the 2's so far. Having another position on the OL locked in with 2-3 weeks before Week 1 would be a massive boost to them developing that continuity that we've been hoping for.

All of this is why I haven't started to panic about the OL. I can understand what I'm assuming is Saleh's thought process with all of this. Is this situation ideal? Of course not. In an ideal world, Brown and Becton would've been totally healthy all offseason and the only conversation we're having on the OL is who's going to win the C job between McGovern and Tippman but that's not where we're at. Let's see how the next couple of weeks go, even with just 3 1/2 weeks until Week 1, there's plenty of time.

NCJetsfan and Fiftynine like this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

https://x.com/nyjets/status/1691870974021599410?s=20

Rodgers praising/comparing Wilson to Adams. Nice 1:30ish clip

Completely off topic --

@Brook! @Petrozza not sure if this will hinder anything on the forum with twitter links, but if you replace twitter in the above link with X, it will take you to the twitter page where you can watch videos/see tweets. Don't want to start posting those links if it's going to slow anything down again

Brook! and KY Jets Fan like this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It's definitely not ideal but if Rodgers seems to think it could be enough then I'm inclined to believe him.

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This is good to know. If this works and doesn't impact the site, maybe I can start posting some of the videos from Twitter/X on here again!

NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  6. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I agree that the best possible/currently available Jets OL would be Brown/LT/CMG or Tippmann/AVT/Becton. But I also agree that it is likely that one of Brown-Becton is likely to be out at some point during the season. So the question becomes who starts then?

Are you thinking that it would be best to plug in Turner at RT to replace the missing Brown or Becton or that the Jets should move AVT to tackle and replace him with Schweitzer at guard?

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Paragraph 1: If Becton wins the starting RT job and Brown goes out for a game or two, the ideal situation would be to have a backup you feel confident in so you don’t disrupt the continuity on the line by moving another starter…. That’s probably why so many people have been getting snaps at LT.

Paragraph 2: Yes. You don’t take the starting job from a Vet who played through a torn rotator cuff and give it to a guy who hasn’t played a game in 2 seasons. Practice is practice. Show you can play a full game before accepting and crowns.

Paragraph 3: The Jets would be in better shape if Becton proved that last year. He didn’t. Seeing how Brown is under contract next year and Becton isn’t, you should re-evaluate who the long term answer is.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you. While I think Becton has a much higher ceiling than Brown at LT, the fact remains that Brown can't play RT and most likely Becton can. Roll in the fact that everyone else who has tried RT so far has sucked (minus AVT) I just don't see any other way. It would have been nice to see Mitchell or someone excel at RT and then we go with Brown/Becton at LT. Let's face it, Brown is ancient and Becton has a very spotty injury history.

Assuming Brown can make it by opening day I think we see Brown, Tomlinson, Tippman/McGovern, AVT and Becton. You can do a lot worse than that.

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Brown will be an UFA in 2024.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/duane-brown-3778/

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

In an ideal world, AVT stays at RG. I think that's his best position and the position where he can reach his highest ceiling. So barring a situation like last year where we're down to our 4th/5th/6th string OTs, I would keep AVT at RG.

I would prefer to give Mitchell the first crack at the swing OT job. There's at least a plausible path to him being on the team for the foreseeable future and I'm not sure I see that with Turner. It could also come down to who gets hurt. If Becton wins the RT job and gets hurt first, maybe have Mitchell step in there. It's a small sample size but he seems to be more comfortable at RT than LT. If Brown goes down, Turner steps in at LT or Becton moves to LT and Mitchell goes to RT.

As frustrating as the musical chairs with Turner and Mitchell has been so far during TC I think the CS has been trying to determine who plays best at both spots in the event that those guys have to play there. We've got some time left but that time is running out so I would assume they're starting to get a better picture as to how the OL will shake out this season. I'm expecting that over the next week or so, the musical chairs will start to become less and less and they'll let these guys get comfortable with the positions that they'll most likely play this year.

joelip likes this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

And if this ends up being our Week 1 starting lineup, they'll be at minimum a league average unit IMO with the potential to be better than most of us think.

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Matt O'Leary (@MattOLearyNY):
    Live from from Florham Park #Jets
    [​IMG]

@NYJets_Media:
    I love it here
    [​IMG]

(Looks like fans are getting ready for practice today!)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. dawinner127

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

O'Leary:
    Dalvin Cook in the building #Jets
    [​IMG]

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

NY Jets68 likes this.
  16. dawinner127

So I heard this morning on the radio Cook is leaving this weekend b/c his wife/GF is pregnant and expecting. He will return the following week ready for camp

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

@NYJets_Media:
    #Jets Starting Offensive Line Today is the same as yesterday but the 2 OT’s switch sides again:

LT: Max Mitchell
    LG: Joe Tippmann
    C: Connor McGovern
    RG: Wes Schweitzer
    RT: Billy Turner

Mekhi Becton is getting reps at RT with the 2nd team

18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This is correct!!

19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Yep. Twitter is doing the conversion to X in batches. In Europe twitter links are with X.com

In USA it is still twitter.com

Forum software is having issue with twitter.com domain. So change twitter to X in the link and post here. All good.

dawinner127 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Faria:
    No pads day for the #Jets.

Off day tomorrow before Saturdays game against Tampa.
    [​IMG]