Training Camp Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jul 19, 2023.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I believe that the way it will shakedown With RS is Becton to R, Brown to left. AVT RG and would be back up at RT if Brown can’t start or gets hurt and Becton then moves to LT. In any event pre season has not shown quality at the depth position at all, and even more scary is neither Becton nor Brown have yet to practice at their respective starting position. Brown might well start in IR which throws a major ríñale in the equation.

2. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Because that's not how it works in the NFL and the Oline. Totally not relevant that the Dline rotates. You play every snap, or game if you are a healthy starter. Taking money out of it, anyone who has been apart of a competitive sports, or anything, would get that someone being given something without performance or even the ability to do it every play could cause problems... Hell, we saw it with Zach last year. The nuance isn't important, it's giving someone preferential treatment.

Now add the money part. You think that wouldn't piss people on the team, outside of the Oline, that Becton is the starting LT when he can't even finish a game? This is livelihood and real people involved, your take is kind of Madden-y. Saying they should act professional is not really going to work in this scenario as they are humans with brains.

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That's still on JD. Saleh shouldn't have to be In a position where potentially the two best guys are Mitchell and Turner. That Is absolutely on JD. JDliterally hasn't done dick all with this line other than draft Tippman and bring In back up quality OL In WS and Turner. That Is on JD. That won't change In my mind.

Borat and HomeoftheJets like this.
  4. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

A-Salleh should NOT have cancelled tomorrow, this team needs as many reps as possible together against non-friendly competition.

B-Does anyone have insight as to wether it’s a scheme fit or something else with Mitchell? Or was he not that good last year? Because I swear they said he was doing well last year and earlier on this summer reports were he was playing well.

C-This really gives me worry about Carter Warren, all this rotating and NOBODY even utters his name. Like at all, I can’t recall a single tweet, etc even mentioning his name, doing anything at all. And I’m being literal, nothing good, bad, or in-between.

D-Sadly, idk what the hell to do. Presumably there’s nobody available via trade or FA, and we’re stuck with who we got. I can’t believe we’re this bad!!! The only thing I can MAYBE think of doing, is bringing back Fant. I read somewhere the coaching staff liked him, although I also think I read he wasn’t thrilled with them last year. Beyond that? Ohhh boy!

E-What’s soo frustrating is that there’s talent here:
    Tomlinson-Former Pro Bowler
    McGovern-Didn’t he grade out as a Top 15-20 center a few times? I know he’s no stud, but still
    AVT-No issues beyond health

I could go on and include other ppl who on paper make sense. But you’d think with the talent at the line, a quick release QB and all the talented playmakers we have, this team should have what equates to..about an average unit. Wouldn’t you?

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Not true. The only one that hasn't played is Brown. AvT and Tomlinson have played all summer

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Becton wouldn't be getting given something without performance. He has played better than any OT we have. I don't buy that it would cause problems, but if it did, then our OL are dumb as fuck if they'd prefer someone who is very limited, and not very skilled to start and play all the snaps over someone with All Pro potential. Did it cause problems with all the injuries last year? Those OL didn't play all the plays. It's the exact principle.

What in the heck does money have to do with it? That makes zero sense. Becton is getting paid whether he plays a down or not. They ought to be glad that he's playing and getting rather than sitting and getting paid. Who said he couldn't finish the game? I don't know that he would need to take a few plays off here and there, but if he did, that doesn't mean he can't finish the game. You're jumping to conclusions and twisting things.

The reference to Zach is bogus as well. QB are given preferential treatment. That's how it is in football at every level except maybe pee wee or Pop Warner football. What hurt Zach was his immaturity or insecurity and not taking responsibility for his bad play. That's what pissed players off. They knew he was working and trying hard. They know that he's got more talent in one arm than Mike White has in his whole body. If anything, they were probably pissed at Saleh for leaving Zach in for so long when he was struggling.

I think your perspective is wrong in every sense.

7. Stevied

They make ‘em smart on Tobacco Road I see. That first paragraph I couldn’t agree with more. The only part I fractionally disagree with there (if you wanna call it that) is the first sentence. Even if he was given something without earning it, at this point it’s all hands on deck. Kinda why I keep bringing up Carter Warren. Our 2 tackles have played so badly, it opens the door up for anyone with a pulse, they should understand it. And to your other point, if they don’t, so what? What leverage do they have?

to your point aboht rotating O-line guys, funny enough I actually brought this up to someone the other day. We do it with D-line guys, so one could surmise that the same benefit could be derived if you did that with the O-line. That said, I highly doubt we’d be the first to do so. But even if we did, I don’t think we’d get much pop. More or less it would be death by firing squad or poison.

#1007 Stevied, Aug 16, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
  8. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Wait wait wait… you want to get “consistency” by having 2 starters play at a different position (than their expected position) in practice?

I haven’t gone through the thread but I hope there’s another post from you apologizing for this post.

Acad23 and abyzmul like this.
  9. Stevied

Yo Roach! I didn’t read all of it either, and I’m all for playing guys @ naturalpositons. But at this point (after analysis etc), if your best oline is 5 guys playing 5 un natural positions for them. I’m all for it. You’re a 3’2 90lb midget for all I know, but if they asked me and you showed up tomorrow and said you’ll play a line positon, I’d run you out for a play or 2.

Also, and forgive my stupidity if needed, but why can’t Becton play a guard spot? He’s a heavier slower guy who has issues with faster guys, and that was before his injury. Seems the ideal position for him would be a guard spot (not much movement and strength more of an advantage). I’d also imagine it be easier on the knee as there isn’t as much movement as a Tackle. I used to think it was because he was too tall, but Tipman played it today and he’s virtually the same height. If I’m actually right on this, I may have significantly helped us. He takes AVT’s spot, and AVT goes RT..viola..right?! Or too simple/stupid?

#1009 Stevied, Aug 16, 2023
  10. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

What does money have to do with it? I mean that seems explanatory I'm not going down that rabbit hole. Everyone is out their performing for there next payday. Millions are at stake.

Who said he can't finish a game? His head coach.

“The biggest thing for Mekhi is to show that he can play a [full] game, right? Without having to be spelled out and take a break and all that stuff,” Saleh went on. “So, it’s unfair to the team to prepare a guy to start if you’re not sure if he can make it through a game."

Mutiny against Zach started way before his post game post presser. If you thought the treatment Zach was getting wasn't high compared to QBs in general, that's your prerogative and agree to disagree.

#1010 JackBower, Aug 16, 2023
  11. KingRoach

I’m not talking about natural positions, I’m talking about expected positions. Brown is our starting LT when healthy, there’s no doubt. Same for LT at LG and AVT at RG. We have 3 specific people battling for C. That leaves an open competition for starting RT and backup everything. Everyone’s hope is Becton is able to play RT and stays healthy.

So if the hopeful/expected starting lineup is:

Brown
    LT
    TBD
    AVT
    Becton

why would you “bite the bullet” and practice?

Becton
    X
    X
    X
    AVT

RE guard: I once heard playing guard equated to boxing in a phone booth. I believe Tippman is a bit of an outlier with height (still shorter than Becton) is because he gets deep in the bucket ie he has some bend and gets his hips low (something about leverage). Hope if that helps you visualize why Becton wouldn’t be ideal at G.

KY Jets Fan and Stevied like this.
  12. Stevied

The bite the bullet thing is pertaining to maximizing value by trying guys at diff positions . I.E. I think Becton can play RG, we might not need him there, but I think he may be able to if so but I wanna know for sure. Therefore I put him there for a day or so.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Becton is like 6'9. Way too tall for a guard. Hes got those long mitts, he should use what God gave him as a Tackle

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That is incorrect, Vera Tucker has not been in the lineup for either preseason game and today as well

Tomlinson is the only guy and he sucks

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Becton would get blown back on the inside. His center of gravity is way too high.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I haven't watched him play, but according to pff last season was at 59 rating, pretty bad. Two seasons before were better. A season before worse. Nothing too exciting if he has to start. If we have to slide AVT to tackle, ideally it would be CMG and Tipp starting.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Just one week, that's not enough...

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  18. KingRoach

You’re also the guy who would run a midget for a play or two so… fuck it, move Becton at Center bc you never know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We all know Sauce is a top CB, maybe he can play WR too. I’m starting to think you’re onto something ;)

Stevied likes this.
  19. KingRoach

If a coach took the starting job from a 10 year vet and locker room leader… someone who played a whole season with a torn rotator cuff and gave it to a 3rd year rookie who hadn’t played in 2 years…. that coach would lose the locker room and hopefully lose his job. That coach would probably never be hired by another professional sports team for the rest of his life. That coach would make Urban Meyer look like Vince Lombardi.

20. KingRoach

@NCJetsfan the last time I saw you worked up was when we picked Sauce at 4