Training Camp Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jul 19, 2023.

1. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Okay, but I think the OL won't be ready to compete for a Super Bowl title by replacing one below average player (Turner) with another below average player (Schweitzer) and moving AVT out of his natural OG position. I think a trade for a decent tackle is sorely needed!

JetFanInNE likes this.
  2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Becton should definitely be in the starting lineup at this point. But what's the risk of seeing how he fares at RT though? Let's say he's very solid on the right side and Duane Brown actually does return to the starting lineup soon. Then all of a sudden the line is looking pretty good

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't agree with your comments about JD. I place the blame squarely on Saleh and how he has mishandled the OL this preseason. If he can't see that neither Mitchell nor Turner are good enough to take reps at LT, then he shouldn't even be the HC of a lower-level college team, much less an NFL team. Becton should have been taking reps with the 1st unit all along, and then when he had to come out, either have Warren or AVT take the snaps at LT. Mitchell shouldn't even be on the field with the 1st at RT. Turner might be OK at RT if he got to focus strictly on that, rather than bouncing back and forth from day to day.

His talking about what is "fair" is a joke. In his mind, Brown is gonna be the starting LT and Mitchell is going to be the starting RT. He's not been fair to either Becton, Turner, Mitchell, Tippman, the rest of the OL, the rest of the offense, and/or the rest of the team. Mitchell's in way over his head with the 1s and it's not fair to him or to the rest of the offense for him to be out there continually struggling and doing his best Hunter imitation. IMO Saleh is setting the OL, the offense and the team up to fail with his biases. If this season goes south, unless the team is decimated with injuries, it will be almost totally Saleh's fault and he should get fired.

4. NCJetsfan

I agree. I think what Saleh says good about Becton is just to cover the fact that he doesn't like or want Becton and that he's not going to give him a chance. He says those things just for the media and fanbase, and he's going to screw Becton every change he gets.

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

That's fine, we don't have to agree, but I don't remember anyone from the beat freaking out last week during the joint practices in Carolina. Other than the final "move-the-ball/2 minute drill" scenario I remember the 1st team O played fairly well that day.

From Post #668 in this thread, "- Aaron Rodgers admitted there was “issues” in the pass blocking but thought the offense had a good day overall."

Then for today, again, we're down 3 starters, potentially 4 if you want to include Becton. Think any OL unit missing 3-4 starters is going to fare well against another team's 1's?

#965 KY Jets Fan, Aug 16, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
    bicketybam likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Agreed, but I think Saleh is that stupid. He should have learned from what happened with MLF that being rigid and biased doesn't work and hurts the team, but he obviously didn't.

7. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Idk, I agree with Saleh if he can't play a whole game he shouldn't be in the conversation for LT 1.

That would cause a locker room problem, and if he can't play every snap he shouldn't be the convo for starting left tackle, it's pretty cut and dry.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I didn't mean in public. I meant in private. Rodgers health and career, and the Jets' season hangs in the balance, and Saleh is obviously either stupid, blind, and/or biased regarding Becton, Brown, Mitchell and Turner. Rodgers could even say it in a nice way or ask for that to happen. It doesn't have to be done in an asshole kind of way. JD should do it. I know that he doesn't want to mess up the relationship that Saleh and he have, but he needs to be more concerned with Rodgers' health and the team and the season. Saleh can undo all the good that JD has done with his stupidity, blindness and biases.

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This. It doesn't have to happen this week now but Rodgers made a good point in his presser this afternoon, the OL needs to start getting some consistency and developing continuity.

Ideally, that would already be happening but we've got some guys that are banged up, thems the brakes in the NFL. Hopefully Brown will start to ramp up next week and Laken and AVT return too. They need to get at least a full week of work in together IMO but the more the better.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I know his age and that he never has played RT before. Too bad. He hasn't taken one snap since the end of last season, and the Jets OL needs to get stabilized. Becton has earned the starting LT spot. Brown shouldn't get handed the LT spot. He wouldn't even be here if Becton hadn't gotten hurt. Saleh's first allegiance should be to the team and then to Becton, and last to Brown. I get respecting Brown for playing injured last season when he didn't have to, but that doesn't mean that he should just get handed the LT job for this season. If Saleh can be taken seriously (which I doubt) there was supposed to be a fair competition between Becton and Brown for the starting LT spot this season. It's not Becton's fault that Brown hasn't shown up for the competition, so Becton should win by default. Brown can settle for being the backup LT if he wants, but if he wants a chance to start and to help the team, then he should take reps at RT. That's how it should go imo. Screw Brown. I have zero allegiance to a 38 year-old OT who won't be with the team next year. My allegiance is to the team and to a player that the Jets drafted with their #1 pick, who if hadn't gotten injured, would have been the core of the OL.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they ran very few 11-on-11 plays against carolina. The 7-on-7 offense had a good day but that's not line play

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I've seen a couple people say the problem with the OL is that we're playing backups, and once we get our actual 1s in there, we'll be fine. The problem is that our best tackles are Brown and Becton, and if they both manage to make it through the season without missing substantial time, then my name's Sauce Belichick. We need to trade for an OT, and we need to do it now.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I still believe our best possible OL this year is this:

LT - Brown
    LG - Tomlinson
    C - McGovern/Tippman
    RG - AVT
    RT - Becton

We really need Brown to get back ASAP, at that point it's just trying to figure out who wins the C and RT jobs.

joelip and JetFanInPA like this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

So there's probably not enough of a sample size to make any sort of definitive statement on how they looked against Carolina in the joint practice then, right?

Hence my opinion that they were "fine" last week.

15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Cimini:
    Rodgers downplays the OL woes today, saying they handled themselves better up front than last wk vs Carolina. He notes all the shuffling on the OL, saying there will be a time (soon) where they have to start building continuity. #jets

Rodgers says his concern level with the OL is “pretty low.” #Jets

Rosenblatt:
    Aaron Rodgers on his level of concern with the #Jets O-Line:

"It’s August 16th. We’ve got some time. Also, it’s coming up. I don’t get concerned heavily about things I don’t have a huge role in yet. Now, that might change. At some point I might say I need the five who are going to be in there to be in there with me for a solid week. But I don’t think we’re at that point yet because I don’t think there are five guys that have earned those spots … I’m going to have some patience with that."

Borat, JetFanInNE and bicketybam like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I agree that Saleh's motivation could have been concern about Becton's knee holding up or to teach Becton a lesson about earning what he gets in the world. I agree that it's past time for those considerations. Being cautious with Becton's knee and having him on a pitch count is one thing. Maybe he thinks it would have been easier for Becton facing the 2nd string DL rather than the 1st string. Still with as well as Becton played vs Carolina, imo he should have started getting reps with the 1st this week. Becton hasn't had to skip practice or had any problems with his knee. There's absolutely NO valid reason imo for not giving him reps with the 1st now at LT. Only playing LT will prove whether he can make it a whole game or not. You ride him as far as you can. If he needs to come our for a play or two and rest, you do that and then put him back in. My reaction to Becton having to learn a lesson and having to earn it, is that did Turner or Mitchell "earn" getting reps at LT? Is that really fair to them or the team or especially to Rodgers? No, it isn't.

More and more, I think Saleh is a phony. He's biased, and either willfully blind or stupid in a lot of his decisions. He's the one who hired the rookie OC and rookie QB Coach for a rookie QB. I want to like Saleh. I really do, but I'm starting to think that he just isn't smart enough to make the best decisions for the team and for it to win a SB.

#976 NCJetsfan, Aug 16, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
    joelip likes this.
  17. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Just food for thought, but would Becton be better at RG and AVT at RT until Becton feels confident about his knee. I know given his length he's better at T and particularl LT but just thinking it might be a way to get him out there hitting some people and building confidence back

18. NCJetsfan

Why would it cause a locker room problem? IMO that's silly. The other OL know that Becton and AVT are the most talented and best OL on the roster. They should want to win and have the best players out there. What's the big deal about a player taking a few snaps off every now and then? The DL rotates. It's not even like there would be a regular rotation for Becton, just if/when he needed a rest. How's Saleh supposed to know that Becton can play a whole game at LT if he isn't out there with the starters playing LT? The whole thing is bogus.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Saleh seemed to disagree with the assessment that they were fine, he dressed down the offensive line

they tried to run a series of live (11-on-11) action with starters and Rodgers was rushed out of the pocket on 3 consecutive plays resulting in a 3-and-out. I wouldn't call that "fine"

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

They need to be better, I don't disagree with that. Again, it could just be a difference in opinion on the definition of the word "fine".

It seems as though you're basing your entire perspective on ONE series at the end of the joint practice last week. They ran a few more 11v11 drills than that last one.

bicketybam and NCJetsfan like this.