Training Camp Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jul 19, 2023.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

If they want him at RT they will play him at RT. I think they are all in on Grandpa Brown at LT. Most likely a major mistake.

BleedJetsGreen1981 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think counting on Brown is foolish. He hasn't taken a single snap since the end of last season. Becton is rounding into shape. There was supposed to be a competition for the LT spot. Between Becton and Brown, Becton is the only one practicing at present. Saleh needs to start giving Becton reps with the starters. I thought he already had. IMO it would be better to have Becton who will have the chance to have a whole months work beside Tomlinson, and a chance to develop cohesion and chemistry, than bring in Brown at the last minute and he not having any time to get the rust off, and with his not practicing, what's to say that he won't have to go on a pitch count to get back into football shape? It would be better to have Becton play as much as he can and then take breathers if/when he needs to, than start Brown if he isn't ready to play or to start Turner or Mitchell at LT.

Borat, SOJAZ, joelip and 2 others like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

If they're thinking of playing Becton at RT, then they need to start playing him there now, and just be honest with him that Brown is going to be the LT and there will be no competition.

Borat, joelip and bicketybam like this.
  4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think this is the move after the Carolina game. Play Becton as much as he can handle. If his knee holds up you start preparing him w. the 1st team.. A healthy Becton would be an immense upgrade. And so far, he has been practicing nearly the whole camp.

Pepsiguy5, bicketybam and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rosenblatt:
    Some #Jets thoughts coming out of the practices in Spartanburg:

- Aaron Rodgers is good. Shocking, I know. It’s too early to say if this is the 2020/21 version — he hasn’t been hit yet and won’t until the season — but he’s still got it.

- I don’t think the Jets are in a particular rush to sign Dalvin Cook. Zonovan Knight has had a really good camp — he’s quite clearly been their best RB —and I thought it was pretty telling that Cook’s visit to practice didn’t make it onto Hard Knocks. Remember: The Jets have final say on what appears on the show.

- I continue to be surprised by how good Will McDonald looks already. He even got Ikem Ekwonu with his killer spin move at the joint practice. It’s going to be hard to keep him off the field this season.

- WR Malik Taylor is becoming hard to ignore. If the Jets keep a sixth receiver, it’s Taylor vs Jason Brownlee, with Xavier Gipson in the mix. Taylor has been one of their best downfield receivers all camp and seems to have chemistry with both Rodgers and Wilson.

- Mekhi Becton is making steady progress and looked good in SC. But the Jets still need to see him get through both a full week of practice AND a full workload of snaps before he gets any first team reps.

- I’m reserving O-Line panic until I see how the group looks with Duane Brown at LT. Though I do get the consternation — especially since the Jets OL has been an issue for a while. The hope is Brown returns soon. Saleh said he has zero doubt Brown will return for Week 1.

Pepsiguy5, Borat, chandler and 9 others like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I didn't realize Malik Taylor has played in this league. He's gonna make the team I think

7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

He’s having a real nice camp.
    Gipson another one to watch, name has been flashing a lot. And Brownlee was having a great start to camp.
    Gonna be real tough choice at WR. I’d rather keep two of the above and cut Cobb.

8. NCJetsfan

I'm so excited about McDonald. I think many of the Jets fans who criticized drafting McDonald over a WR or OT may be singing a different tune by the end of the season.

I agree with Rosenblatt regarding the 6th WR spot. Taylor has experience with AR and Hackett from GB and seems to have a real chemistry with AR. That shouldn't be disregarded. Gipson offers his speed, elusivness, a great option at slot WR and his dangerous PR ability. Brownlee offers the "wow" catches and the contested catches. It could come down to whom has the most control over the final roster: AR, Hackett, or Brant Boyer. AR might opt for Taylor. If Hackett plans to make Hardman a big part of the offense, then he could opt for Gipson so Gipson can be the return man and free Hardman from that. Boyer most likely would prefer Gipson. Also, do Taylor and Brownlee play STs? I assume they must, but are they anywhere near as good as Gipson is on STs?

I'm hoping that Becton can push through his mental wall on Saturday night and play a long time and have no great pain or swelling afterwards. If so, that could go a long way to solving one of our OT spots.

9. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Is it at all possible they look to package a little of their receiver/dl depth to address the ol? I know depth is important but they have to find a way to keep Rodgers or Wilson on the field. Otherwise we’ll be bringing Streveler back and who really wants THAT?

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah I think that tough choice will go like this:

AR: Keep Malik
    JD: Yes sir

11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I agree with your view on drafting McDonald…yes for sure I would say OL was a bigger need than DE for us now, but (a) I fully believe you can’t really ever have too many good pass rushers…it’s a position that’s easy to rotate and having fresh guys with different moves will wear down an opposing OL, and (2) the unfortunate trade down in round one meant we missed out on the top 4 OT’s, and picking the next guy up if he wasn’t that highly rated and prioritizing need over quality isn’t the way to build a long term roster. So I have no issues with the draft pick, and if he becomes a solid sack guy, it’ll make next year’s decisions on guys like Lawson or Huff a bit more interesting.

That all being said, I do hold JD accountable for his poor ability to build a solid OL in a few years now…while I didn’t crush him for the Becton over Wirfs decision at the time, I do think he placed too much faith in Becton last year and then he’s doing it again now. I also think he should have given a serious go at resigning Moses and made him a solid offer to at least make him think about staying. So I do think there were things JD could have done different but OL is clearly our number one issue this year, specifically OT. Safety and LB could use some help, but they should be serviceable and that fierce pass rush will help cover for them is the hope. But if your OT’s suck, your offense is going nowhere

12. bicketybam

I'm not see where JD or the coaching staff has put any faith in Becton this year. I see zero faith. Not that they should, I'm just stating what I see.

13. BrowningNagle

unfortunately Cobb is a lock since he's Rodgers' buddy and Rodgers makes the decisions

Taylor played with him in GB so Rodgers knows him as well which gives him a leg up on Gipson and Brownlee if it is close on decision day

BacktoQueens likes this.
  14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Lol I think you right.
    Cobb too.
    He’s gonna have a big say. It’s why Hackett is here.

Would hate to lose both those rookies tho.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

maybe Gipson stays as a return man

16. bicketybam

When you have a HOF QB, you let him have a lot of say as to who he is going to be throwing the ball to. Just common sense 101, but sometimes that's in short supply.

17. NCJetsfan

I do agree that JD deserves some criticism for the OT positions, although there have been some mitigating issues like injuries and the cap this year. I think our IOL could be very solid especially if Tippman can supplant McGovern at C. Even if AVT has to move to RT, Schweitzer should be solid at RG. It's the OT spots imo that are the concern. IMO neither Mitchell's technique nor his strength are where they need to be yet. People criticize Becton freely, why not criticize Mitchell for not working harder to refine his technique and develop more strength?

I never understood why he (JD) let Moses walk after he played so well for us, but maybe there was a good reason. Unless he has a setback, I think Becton will be a solid, if not spectacular starter at one of the OT spots. If he is able to play a fairly long time in the game on Saturday night, and if his knee is good following, and Brown is still 3-4 weeks away from practicing, then imo Becton should start practicing with the 1st unit on Monday, and should be announced as the starter at LT, with Brown as his backup. If Brown will be back to practice, within a week to 10 days, then Becton should start practicing at RT so he'll have time to make that adjustment.. With Brown and Becton as our OTs, I'll have no concerns about the OL. With Becton at LT and AVT at RT, I'll have no concerns about the OL, but if Mitchell or Turner are the starter at RT and Becton is on the bench, I'll definitely be concerned about Rodgers' health and the upcoming season. I think that Rodgers ability to quickly read Ds and get the ball out quickly will help alleviate many potential problems on the OL, especially if we're gashing people with the run.

Pepsiguy5 and coloradojet like this.
  18. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I mean he hasn’t had full week of practices yet, has he?

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he’s here considering he was also in GB. Not just me that sees it either… Zack Rosenblatt on Twitter:

“- WR Malik Taylor is becoming hard to ignore. If the Jets keep a sixth receiver, it’s Taylor vs Jason Brownlee, with Xavier Gipson in the mix. Taylor has been one of their best downfield receivers all camp and seems to have chemistry with both Rodgers and Wilson. ”

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Taylor has been good but in now way based off what I’ve read and seen so far has he been better than Brownlee. If that kid doesn’t make the team and another one picks him up, he’s gonna be a good pickup would hate for that to happen.