Training Camp Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jul 19, 2023.

1. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

As far as Zach goes, a pump and dump works for me.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  2. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I think you may be forgetting a certain someone who is miles ahead of Becton not a Tackle and played better Tackle last year for awhile than Mekhi ever has.

JetFanInNE and Jets79 like this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Enlighten me.

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's concerning that the writing Is on the wall at the tackle positions and we are just allowing It to keep being an issue. It Is baffling that Joe Douglas has neglected the offensive line so hard, especially after trading for Aaron Rodgers.

Joe D has done some really awesome things but not having good tackles Is a recipe for disaster. I think everyone should be fucking concerned at this point on this issue. Especially the FO and CS.

This has to be fixed before the season. Trade, AT LEAST FUCKING TRY BECTON AT LT, FFS....

5. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

I agree with you that the tackle is an issue. I think our OL is shit. Other the AVT there is no above average OL player we have right now. That being said, good and great tackles are probably the second hardest players to trade for other then a QB. I personally think we should do whatever to trade for Zack Martin and then move AVT to tackle. The problem is the asking price is going to be fucking riduculously high. My take is that the tackle is our achilles heel. I am sure that Rodgers is already telling JD to fix the tackle position.

6. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I would be careful moving AVT to LT. Players should be playing their natural positions and AVT is not even two full years into his development as a pro guard. From a strength of OL approach I agree moving AVT to RT and Duane at LT (At this point in his career it would be unwise to ask Duane to play RT even though Id rather AVT be left) and have McGovern move to G, Tippman at C and have Laken in his natural position.
    BUT
    We are a few weeks away from starting the season. Are we really going to be shuffling guys around this much before the start with 0 experience together in those roles? If the OL is dreadful enough depending on who is there and how its doing a few weeks into the season I could see them being desperate enough to do a shuffle. IMO the better move is to trade for a solid RT piece which will be cheaper than LT and we will have to ride with Duane/Becton even though I hate it.

stinkyB likes this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The joint practice with Carolina today has been cancelled due to “weather and safety concerns”.

The Jets will practice on their own at 10:45am eastern time, closed to the public but the media will be present.

I envision this one will be more of a walkthrough than anything as they play the Panthers on Saturday.

8. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Was about 40 minutes from Wofford when I got the news. Now I'm sitting in a Waffle House waiting on breakfast.
    I'll be at BOA stadium Saturday.

ouchy and coloradojet like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Was the "bad weather" the storm clouds hanging over the OL situation?:eek:

For all of the hype and PR and expectations for this Aaron Rodgers led offense, yesterday's struggles against a mediocre Panthers team has to be very concerning. The OL continues to be a major problem for this team and Douglas needs to fix it fast or we'll be looking at another Jets crash during takeoff.

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

While I agree that overall the Panthers have a mediocre team, they have a very good DL. Brian Burns is one of the best EDGEs in the league, Derrick Brown is up there at DT, and Shy Tuttle is a very solid NT. The OL didn’t go up a bunch of scrubs yesterday.

That’s not to say there’s nothing to worry about on our OL but we were without our presumed starting LT and Mekhi is still working his way back to game shape. We’re still 4+ weeks from Week 1, no need to panic just yet IMO.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rosenblatt:
    Robert Saleh said Garrett Wilson and Sauce Gardner will do individual drills today. #Jets

Brook! likes this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Greenberg:
    Saleh said he doesn’t have a snap count in mind for Mekhi Becton in Saturday’s game against the Panthers.

“I’d like for him to push as far as he can.”

Coach Saleh doesn’t shut the door on AVT playing tackle for the Jets, but adds the team wants to keep him at guard if they can.

“We’re going to play our best five and he’s one of them.”

NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Cimini:
    Takeaway from Saleh: He doesn’t rule out the possibility of moving Vera-Tucker to tackle if he doesn’t feel comfortable with the current tackles. #Jets

NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rosenblatt:
    Jets practice, no joint

(Whoops, supposed to be a photo of the practice field there but looks like I can’t post photos from my phone like I can my laptop…noted)

NCJetsfan and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

kinda weird ain't it? the weather and safety is a concern for joint practices but they host team sessions instead?

Are they worried about the fans or did both coaches see enough yesterday that they dont need another session and are using the weather as the excuse

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I disagree. We were told before that we didn't need to worry about the OL not playing together before a season - more than once - and how has that worked out? Four weeks is not a lot of time to get 5 guys working in sync to ensure solid - if not great - protection for Rodgers (or any other QB). And it's not like we're talking about one or even two question marks, there are multiple ones, not just about who will actually be healthy, but who's going to play where. To have this many questions about 40% of the starting offense IS a reason to begin to panic IMO.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rosenblatt:
    Garrett Wilson back in individuals. Moving pretty well. #Jets

18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I mean, it’s basically 2 question marks right now, right? Both OT spots. Feel like one sorts itself out with Brown’s return (hopefully soon because I do agree with you that they need to develop some continuity) which just leaves you with RT.

The IOL is basically set, Tomlinson, CMG, AVT. It’s still possible that Tippman takes over at C at some point but the longer that takes to happen, the less likely it happens this year IMO.

If we’re still having this conversation in 2-3 weeks, I’ll start to get worried but for now I just can’t get there.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rosenblatt:
    Billy Turner at LT, Max Mitchell at RT. Flipping from yesterday.

Garrett Wilson is participating in team drills. Saleh had said he wouldn’t. It is a very light practice though. #Jets

Perfect sideline throw from Aaron Rodgers to Malik Taylor. DJ Reed in tight coverage, great focus/hands from Taylor to make the play. #Jets

Zach Wilson with a risky throw to the middle of the field to Xavier Gipson, in double coverage. Nearly intercepted. #Jets

#699 KY Jets Fan, Aug 10, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Vasquez:
    Jets doing some 11-on-11 and Aaron Rodgers finds Garrett Wilson with a pass early in team drills. Turner at LT, Mitchell at RT today.

NCJetsfan likes this.