Training Camp Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jul 19, 2023.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I would push back a bit on a few of these.

At safety we have a top 3 of Whitehead, Amos, and Adams. While none of those guys are studs, I don't see any of them as fringe NFL talents so at least 1 of our back-ups will be a solid player. You could certainly make your case for Ashtyn Davis/Trey Dean though.
    At DT we've got a 2nd unit of Quinton Jefferson and Solomon Thomas. Again, neither of those guys are studs but they're solid DT depth IMO. In reality, our depth at DT is JFM, Clemons, Jefferson, and Thomas. Pretty solid IMO.
    At IOL, I think Schweitzer, Tippman, and Colon are about as good as you can ask for with back-up OL. There's a reason the good ones never hit the market.
    Even at OT, Mekhi and Turner are solid back-ups IMO. They both have their question marks but that's why they're currently back-ups.

No argument on the other 2 though. LB depth is rough and Zach is the ultimate question mark right now.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I do like Scwheitzer, and the potential in Tippman, so you may right on the IOL.
    OT all depends on Becton as the wildcard. If he good, we good. If he injured, i think Turner is a trainwreck waiting to happen. Would rather the rookie ready or not.

at DT, I'm not a fan of Soloman Thomas in the least. Super soft against the run.
    Jefferson is a jag, JFM and Clemons are subpackage DT's, who otherwise play End. Clemons should strictly play End imo.
    I'm still holding hope they sign Suh, and waive one of the other guys.

S depends some on Adams. I do like him, but he's an UDFA who hasn't played much to date.
    Amos is a jag, Whitehead I'm not a big fan of but he's adequate for now. After that there's nothing.

So a lot of this depends on how a couple guys develop or not, but these positions looking thin to me at the moment.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, not imo, not in a year where they're seeking to not only make the playoffs, but hopefully go deep into the playoffs. Injuries happen. Saleh's goal was to build a deep DL and rotate players to keep them fresh. Now that we've achieved that with the DEs, why would we want to start undoing it? This is especially so since we added Rodgers. Saleh has been talking about that with more 4th Qtr. leads, opposing teams will be forced to throw the ball more, and we'll have waves of fresh pass rushers to throw at them.

As you said, it's a good problem to have. They'll all get their reps, perhaps not as many as they'd like, but they're all talented. IMO Clemons should be permanently moved inside. That will help the logjam at DE.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I seriously doubt that any team is going to traded a starting caliber OT in the middle of TC, but even if they would, would that OT be able to learn the scheme and play at a decent level by the time the season starts? That would be a push. The Jets decided to roll with Brown, Becton, Mitchell, Warren, and maybe Turner. We just have to hope that their belief in those guys will pay off. If worse comes to worse, we could always play AVT at one of the OT spots, and put Schweitzer in at RG in his place.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I wonder if that's for just the upcoming practice and game vs Carolina, for the whole preseason, or in terms of the roster? I don't think Cobb is going anywhere. I don't see how either Gipson or Erickson make the squad, although I wish that both could. I think they're counting on Hardman for a big role in the offense, so would like to find someone else to return punts. Bam Knight can return KOs.

I wonder what they would do if Cobb doesn't look good returning punts, and one of Gipson and Erickson "win" the PR job? Would one of them wind up making the team over Brownlee? over Kuntz? over Bawden? over Turner?

Man, the decisions on who to keep and who to cut are really going to be even more difficult than I first thought.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I wonder why we signed a DE? I guess it's just a camp body with Lawson out a few days with a tight back, but why not give McDonald and JJ more reps?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I mostly agree. I don't think Becton's going to be a backup for much longer. Also, Zach may be a question still, but he isn't a borderline NFL talent. That's absurd! I also disagree about LB. Surratt has disappointed, but he definitely has NFL-caliber talent. The Jets are also high on Barnes and Cherelus. Just because they're rookies doesn't make them borderline NFL talent. They're just an unknown and may need a season or two to develop like Sherwood.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I guess we just differ in how we view a JAG then. For the most part, I still think JAGs are decent-solid NFL players so I wouldn't classify them as fringe NFL talents.

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I've thought since we brought him in that Hardman was going to be our returner this year. You may be right in that they want him to be a more integral part of the offense though which would make it unlikely that he's the primary KR/PR.

I love Cobb, GO CATS!, but I would be disappointed if he's the primary returner this season. IMO, there's no way he's still got enough juice to be effective in that role but maybe he'll prove me wrong.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Probably a camp body but you know how much Saleh and Ulbrich love them some DL depth.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Didn't Saleh say he had to play Huff into the 4th quarter last week because they didn't have enough bodies on the defensive line? I think they signed this guy just to avoid being in that situation again

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Nice memory!

I would say you're 100% correct sir!

Sec124DieHard and BrowningNagle like this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

@NYJets_Media:
    Jets Panthers Joint Practice is starting at 10:15

Let’s go!
    [​IMG]

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Please. No injuries!!!

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

@Michael_Nania:
    Spartanburg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rosenblatt:
    Sauce Gardner has a quad injury and isn’t practicing today. Carl Lawson (back) isn’t either. #Jets

Greenberg (@EGreenbergJets):
    Sauce Gardner won’t practice against Carolina today as a precaution. Saleh said “he felt something” and didn’t want to push it. Garrett Wilson (ankle) won’t take team reps and Carl Lawson (back) won’t practice as precaution.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Caroline Hendershot (@cghendy):
    Coach Saleh confirmed Aaron Rodgers will not play on Saturday.

HC Robert Saleh said the following players will not practice:
    Chaz Surratt
    Sauce Gardner (precautionary)
    Bryce Hall
    Carl Lawson

Garrett Wilson will be integrated back into practice but no team reps.

Rosenblatt (@ZackBlatt):
    Garrett Wilson will practice in a limited capacity today. No team drills. #Jets

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rosenblatt:
    Robert Saleh said Duane Brown should be back soon.

Cimini (@RichCimini):
    Saleh says “no question” Duane Brown (PUP) will be ready for Week 1. #Jets

QB Aaron Rodgers will not play Saturday, as expected, per Saleh. It’ll be the Wilson and Boyle show vs the Panthers. #Jets

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Brian Costello (@BrianCoz):
    Saleh said they don’t think they need to add a QB right now. Going with three.

NCJetsfan likes this.