Training Camp Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jul 19, 2023.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I guess I was referring to Becton and McGovern coming off of injuries and being limited. It's definitely had an impact on the rotation.

Also, I didn't mention the DLine because this is what I expected. They are the heart and soul of this team outside the QB

LAJet likes this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Good analysis. Particularly disappointed with Tippman. I didn't expect him to be starting yet, but at least taking some reps with 1s. Instead, not only is he not taking any reps with the starters, he is not even with the second team. And it's not like 2 Cs ahead of him are doing so well: We hear all the time about Al Woods and Q dominating inside. On top of it, based on Saleh's comments (and actions: does not let him take reps with the first team even with other Cs struggling) it does not appear Tippman is high on the depth chart.

He was the top Center taken in the draft with the high second round pick, and Jets had their choice or him and Schmitz. What we are seeing is Tippman buried with the 3d team in spite of top 2 Cs losing a lot, while Schmitz is holding his own against Dexter Lawrence. Hopefully it is not Becton/Wirfs situation revisited.

Jets79 and Lon Chaney like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I felt like you did but KY set me straight. This time last year Sauce Gardner was runnin' with the backups. Maybe that's how this staff just runs things, rookies gotta earn it with the backups first, which I can respect

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't recall Sauce running exclusively with the 3d team though...

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Was it Sheldon Richardson?

Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Regarding LB depth, other than re-signing Kwon (which I'm surprised that they didn't do once Rodgers gave money back), I'm not sure what else they could have done. With Q needing to be extend and Rodgers' contract re-worked, they couldn't really go out and spend money in FA. They had other areas that they were addressing, and there were no stud LBs in the top of the draft this year, so really couldn't do much to address the LB position. They did draft a LB and brought in a couple of UDFA LBs. I think they signed Chaz Surrat this year, but that may have been last year.

I think the thing that everyone is forgetting regarding the OL play so far is that OL play is based upon how they play as a unit, and for an OL unit to play well, they have to know each other's strengths and weaknesses, what they like to do, how they play, and spend time practicing together to refine their timing, chemistry, efficiency, and cohesion. With both Brown and Becton returning from surgery, and competitions going on at the LT, C and RT positions and players shuttling in and out, it's not been possible for the OL to "gel" and gain the necessary timing and cohesion. We still have over 3 weeks in TC to go. I believe that cohesion, efficiency, and effectiveness as a unit will come. I also think that people forget how good our DL is. Between Q and our Edge rushers, most OLs in the NFL are going to struggle in pass protection. DLs almost always have the advantage over the OLs at this time of year. DL play more as individuals, whereas the OL is judged and play more as a unit. In spite of that, the players shaking off rust from injuries/surgeries, and the competitions going on on the OL, they've been able to open holes in the rushing attack, and no one is speaking about that as a positive. Because it's the Jets, everyone is used to focusing on the negatives, because in the past, there have usually been a lot more negatives than positives, and if there was a concern, it usually came true. I don't think that's true any more. I think a new day is dawning in Jets football, a new golden age. I think our OL will be above average at worst (unless a rash of injuries happen like last year), and has the potential of becoming a very good OL.

7. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

sauce is exceptional

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

When they were passing out shorts, did my man ask for Mediums?
    Bold choice.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Lawrence Thomas was most recent.
    Sheldon back in the day.
    I liked both in that role.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He wanted to flash his balls at Cimini.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Here are today's notes. Some good stuff there. AR looks great, Zach is making progress, Max up and down, Bam RB1, CBs dominate, etc...

Can't post a tweet, so here is the writeup.
    Robby Sabo

#Jets camp practice notes, 8.5.23:

—A bit of a strange-feeling session today. Shells (really helmets only for most), so no thumping, and much lighter in tone, which is expected in the first session after a game.
    —Open to fans yet the hype level was a far cry from the more recent open practices. No surprise here, as we’re now weeks into camp (natural regression of summer).
    —The first notable contact made on Aaron Rodgers all camp comes courtesy of Jermaine Johnson beating Max Mitchell, although somebody told me Tomlinson was also near the play. Rodgers injured something low, immediately fired the ball to the turf and hobbled back to the offensive non-participating line. All is well, however, as the grizzled vet didn’t miss much, returning to take first-team reps in red zone.
    —AR was solid all day, particularly early in practice. First play of teams saw a veteran QB play that purely happens due to pre-snap recognition, an ultra-quick one to Hardman (left side vs. soft coverage). Again, the greatness in QB play that is “take what the D gives you” is both tedious yet so incredibly striking when watching an all-time great get it done. Tom Brady made a HOF career for himself by doing that while simultaneously agonizing over accuracy/placement on the shortest of throws.
    —AR hit Conklin for a score in red zone, he hit Malik Taylor (seam area) on an O concept that perfectly destroyed a specific D coverage (40+ yards perhaps more with YAC), and several more impressive completions.
    —Hackett broke out the trickery today to a small degree. The first one fell incomplete to Cobb deep (didn’t have a chance, well covered, didn’t fool D), and the second came near end of practice in red zones, a Hardman-to-Corey Davis try that was on-the-run and late, easily picked off by Whitehead in end zone.
    —Although the aforementioned MM was beaten by JJ on a particular pass-pro set, he looked excellent on the ground. Yes, it’s extremely difficult to evaluate trench play in modern football practice (rarely live, to the ground, which is why Tippmann and Becton evaluation = preseason games), but Mitchell’s positioning on some of these rush concepts is noteworthy. Early in the day, he did a great job against a disciplined JFM who recognized the rush design and did not get caught too far downhill. MM’s positioning got it done for him, sealing JFM in the right direction.
    —Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall both looked solid in the rehab are, running without much limitation.
    —Tony Adams continues to be an incredible focus for me, as the need for a true center-fielder in this D unit means the world. Whitehead, Amos, even Clark (before injury) all come more in the box variety. Adams’s range has to continue to shine. Today was a mixed bag for him. Some solid reads while other spots didn’t look great for him—yet some instances purely featured the perfect O concept against a certain D coverage.
    —I think Bam is pulling ahead of MC in a major way as of late (IMO), in terms of the early-down, workhorse-like back (though it’s an extinct role in todays game).
    —Zach Wilson’s day wasn’t perfect, but I felt as though it was much more impressive than what he displayed in Canton. He was confident, on time (for the most part), etc. One rep saw him hit Xavier Gipson on time in a spot that forced the QB to really understand the coverage post-snap.
    —Questions about Randall Cobb aren’t fun but are necessary. Though he brings a wealth of experience to the table, his legs are questionable. Does he have anything left? One ZW rep that sailed over his head—which was also the correct read against that coverage—saw Cobb struggling a bit to get to a spot. But RC also came down with a tremendous catch (OOB) in RZ near end of practice (AR on throw).
    —At this point, it’s absurd how good the CB room is. Sauce, DJR, and MC2 = filthy. A rare one happened today = forcing AR into a coverage sack, early in practice. And they didn’t luck into the perfect coverage against the right O concept.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Tippman had an excellent game on Thursday. Great to see. Now I want to see him practice with the second team at least.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  13. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great practice summary. As somebody who sees our O-line as our possible achilles heel, I was particularly interested in your positive comments about Max Mitchell. I hope he's making progress toward becoming an average NFL lineman in practice, because his performance against the Cleveland scrub linemen looked quite poor to me. I'm no expert, but it looked to me that he was routinely pushed back into the quarterback's lap, if not outright knocked onto his butt. When this wasn't happening, the Cleveland linemen seemed to have no trouble getting off his attempted blocks to make plays on the ball carrier. Is it just me, or is MM not ready to start at tackle?

#493 joelip, Aug 5, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2023
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Hmmm. Becton not doing lateral movement drills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KY Jets Fan and IDFjet like this.
  16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Apparently we released Hamsah--he got a stinger in the first defensive series against Cleveland you may recall--tough.

We signed 2 LB's to fight it out for his position.

From NYJ twitter feed:

"We've signed LB Nick Vigil and LB Sam Eguavoen. Additionally, we've released LB Hamsah Nasirildeen and LB Maalik Hall."

Vigil was a 3rd round pick of Cinci in 2016. He started 12 of16 games for the Vikes in 2021 and went on IR in 2022 after 4 games with 'zona.

#496 IDFjet, Aug 6, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
    Borat likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

From what we heard about practices, Max's name didn't come up much, just a few hick-ups, which was encouraging. Certainly much better than Billy Turner, who got beat like a drum by pretty much all the Edges. Usually your name does not come up much if you don't commit penalties and get beat for sacks. In the Browns game against back-ups it looks like Max's pass pro was good. But he was horrendous in the running game against back-ups. That is not good. Even if he improves some, I just don't know how good he will do in the running game against the starters. I am not confident, but I am happy pass pro held up and maybe he can at the very least protect Rodgers. It doesn't looks like Turner can.

Where I see big problem is that Brown hasn't practiced and is told to be a few weeks away still (the season is a few weeks away too). Becton appears to be improving but very slowly. There is a huge likelihood Max starts first few games. Which is not really great - at least for the running game. It would be really important for Brown or Becton to be ready to start opposite him. But even that is not guaranteed. I will feel much better when I see Brown practicing again. If you recall last year he got injured as soon as he started practicing, so he will have to take it slow too, like Becton. Max/Turner opening day is a scary proposition, but it is not an unlikely one.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Kwon signed away by Pitts for 1.3 mil. Would it really break our bank to get him instead of these scrubs? What is Mosely gets hurt? I just don't get why Kwon is not with us. What did we really save compared to other cheap scrubs? Half a mil?

19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Great Q--freaking mystery.

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Sorry for taking yesterday off everyone!

Back today!

Faria:
    #Jets injured players all off to the side today. Streveler, Garrett Wilson, Cherelus, Surratt, and Hall are all off to the side

7v7 work now for the #Jets Ruckert, Davis, Cobb, and Lazard are with the first group.

Really good route from Brownlee on Langford. Beat him off the press and got enormous separation on a slant. #Jets

Hardman beats Carter on a nice out route. Good ball from Wilson too. #Jets

That’s a great throw from Zach Wilson to Izzy but Abanikanda can’t complete the catch. #Jets

Best quarterback during 7v7 was easily Zach Wilson. Good timing, solid arm strengh…very encouraging. #Jets