Did Joe Douglas do a great turnaround with Jets roster?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrowningNagle, Jul 31, 2023.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don’t think either GM inherited the worst roster and we are in year 5 of the Joe Douglas experiment

BacktoQueens likes this.
  2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

"Experiment"? Funny way to put it at this point. OK, I like JD's work so far more than you do. It's fine. We might be witnessing the greatest 3 year turnaround we've ever seen here, but we won't know until this season plays out.

themorey, SOJAZ, KY Jets Fan and 4 others like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

We might, yeah. It’s time to start winning

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Greatest three year turnaround? Teams can do this traditionally in a year or two.

2016 Rams 4-12 to 2017 Rams 11-5
    2010 49ers 6-10 to 2011 49ers 13-3
    2012 Chiefs 2-14 to 2013 Chiefs 11-5

The bar is low here unfortunately. Those are all regime changes.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Rams and Chiefs changed QB's: Case Keenum to Jared Goff and Matt Cassel to Alex Smith respectively.

The Niners went from HC Jim Tomsula to HC Jim Harbaugh.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

And Douglas is going into his fifth season as the GM. Saleh into his third season as the head coach. We’ve topped out at 7 wins. To call this any sort of great turnaround, we’d need to rip off at minimum multiple winning seasons and multiple playoff appearances.

Key word there is “great.”

7. BrowningNagle

Turned it around from 7 wins to 7 wins :)

BacktoQueens likes this.
  8. bicketybam

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/06/10/ny-jets-joe-douglas-tenure-4-years/

We have 3 players left from the team he inherited and enough new good players to make Aaron Rodgers want to come here unless you think it's all about the money or some other reason. He's wiffed hard on Wilson as well as a few others, but the guy has built a team that most people felt was a only QB away. Time will tell.

york61, UK_Chilts, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

So he’s lead a great turnaround? That’s what was stated.

I don’t get why he deserves credit for turning the whole roster over before securing a winning record. We can have that conversation after two consecutive playoff years.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. bicketybam

Well the roster certainly is a lot better compared to when he got here. But I agree that now it's time to translate that into wins.

SOJAZ and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I get the folks who call it a great turnaround. We had 2 previous GMs who were so bad that the bar is set extremely low.

That is also why I get the people who want to see wins before they crown JD. This is the boat I'm in now. He did something, built a team that isn't dogshit, that Jet fans haven't seen in a decade. but now it's the to put the money where the mouth is and actually win.

Otherwise we can join the Mets and Nets as teams who brought in a hall of famer and did jack.

JohnnyJet and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It would be totally in character for Woody to extend Joe Douglas before the season starts and have it documented by Hard Knocks, a la the Rex extension.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Chiefs we’re 2 years removed from winning their division b4 Smith and the Rams owner wanted to get out of StL more than he wanted to win.

Singletary was with the Niners b4 Tomsula; as someone who grew up a Bears fan. It was painful to see what he did as a HC.

None of those teams won the Super Bowl so….

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Anything that takes 5 years is not a turnaround. That’s a lifetime in the NFL.
    his first 3 years were disasterous imo, The last two off seasons were excellent tho. He’s grown into the role after a bad start. I think we finally see results this season.
    Credit and criticism where it’s due.

#14 BacktoQueens, Aug 2, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
  15. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

Parcells turned the team around in 1-2 years. The Jets went from I think the worst team to the AFC championship game which we would have won had it not been for the seven turnovers and the Denver recovery of the windblown kickoff.

16. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

We havent had a QB, cant win in the NFL without one. Two big draft mistakes w Darnold and Zach.

Now we have Rodgers, this is the real test of Joe's roster.

Playoffs are mandatory.

17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

As of right now I would say no. Where are the wins. At the end of the day nobody wants to hear about potential. Win games and make the playoffs to compete for a Super Bowl. That is all that matters.

JohnnyJet, BacktoQueens and SOJAZ like this.
  18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Joe grew into the role. I wouldn't want to change him regardless of results this year to be honest. And if Rodgers stays healthy we are making the playoffs. Roster is loaded with talent on both offensive and defensive side. But his first 2-3 years he really wasn't anything special. His drafts were hit or miss and mostly miss. He couldn't find good Offensive Line talent and had to rely on Free Agency. He approved all Rookie coaching team during Saleh's first year etc.

But last 2 years his drafts seems great, he was able to load the team with talent that looked attractive to Rodgers. He is on a nice learning curve. Now that he has more experience and seems like learning from his mistakes, I will still want him to stay even if he has to replace Saleh.

19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Agree, if things go south this year, then Saleh will definitely be the fall guy. But the next HC would be Joe's last hire if it doesn't work out. I think they will be fine this year. My guess is 11-6 and a WC.

NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yessir! But....he's had MULTIPLE high 1st and 2nd round draft picks, so it's really great he didn't whiff on those high draft picks. Sauce, Garrett, Jermaine, Breece, all good players.

But this upcoming draft and going forward, JoeD's mission will change completely. He'll no longer be drafting 'top' players. He'll be drafting more like Bill Belichick has drafted for the last 20 years....at or near the bottom of every round. And to complicate matters, our Salary Cap has matured (Rodgers) about 2-3 years sooner than he had planned for.

It's easier for a GM during 'rebuild' years....typically has high draft picks, tons of salary cap, etc. But maintaining a top team requires a GM who can spot talent that 25-30 other teams passed on. And a GM who is great at writing contracts and using the S-Cap to the max. Tanny was OK (sort of, he got us Revis), but Tanny seemed to mortgage the future with crazy contracts, and sometimes would trade away our draft picks for FAs. He seemed to be ALL IN every season, and it imploded. We need Joe to be more balanced, and work for the 'here-and-now' without destroying our future.....so we'll see pretty soon!