Dalvin Cooks signs with Jets - 1 year deal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 8, 2023.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who wouldn't, but Taylor wants $16 million per season. He isn't getting that here or anywhere.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Who cares what's on Hard Knocks? Regardless of what happens this "PR narrative" has absolutely nothing to do with winning football games.

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The Jets do.. obviously.

4. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Not only that but he’s the #1 wherever he goes. Breece wouldn’t be too thrilled about that

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah I think Carter is pretty much toast here. He has reliable hands and he’s a willing blocker (doesn’t mean a plus blocker) but he’s slow to hit holes and doesn’t beat anyone one on one. At least not to the point where he’s gaining significant yards thereafter. I’ll be shocked if he makes the roster next training camp.

KingRoach likes this.
  6. Ralebird

So why aren't there any "NO CHANTING" signs and enforcement in place if it's such a big deal? I think a lot of people here are paying way too much attention to Hard Knocks. This stuff is not going to lose or win a game - that's what's important.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Not really sure what you are even arguing or talking about if I'm being honest.

Jets have cared about controlling the narrative from the start. They wouldn't have this guy parading around the camp/building with hard knocks and the fans at an open practice for him to just up and leave and go sign with Miami. They would look like fools yet again -- used for money like Cousins did to us.

Acad23 likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Agreed although it would be cool to see the Dolphins go out and give a 27 year old runningback who will probably be indicted at some point a 4-year/$60 million contract because they didn’t want the Jets signing him.

dawinner127 likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. Ralebird

Not arguing, just discussing the topic you brought up but I don't see why the Jets should have any interest in not doing business as usual just because Hard Knocks is filming. Parading a prospect around a facility and through practices when they are going on has been a common practice throughout the league. What is the great harm, and to whom, if the team "allows" such activity? Are you talking about fans chanting, or the whole idea of a prospect being there?

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Hahahaha.

Acad23 likes this.
  12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Their first 3 years are all too similar, with JDs winning % even worse.

Main difference is JD has grown into the role, continually getting better whereas Mac never did. And Aaron Rodgers.

13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think the main difference is that Mac had NO IDEA how to build a TEAM

He drafted consensus BPA and while that got us Q, most of the time it did not make sense. He did not use high value picks on high value positions…he drafted a damn box safety and passed on both Mahomes and Watson because he wasted a pick on Hack the year before.

He didn’t invest in OL at all and it was a shambles…he just didn’t have a clue on how to build a roster.

And he sucked in free agency

So I think there is a WORLD of difference between Mac and JD

JD has had his fair share of whiffs…his first draft is looking awful, and for all his trying, our OL is still a question mark.

But from a strategic team building view, I think he’s miles ahead…he’s invested high picks on DE, OL, WR, CB…all key positions. He’s continued to draft OL in mid rounds, and he’s taken RBs as well to keep a funnel going there.

I think he’s also won most every trade he’s made, and his free agency deals have not been cap killers.

And he got us AR

I don’t really hold the record against him as much just because he inherited a disaster with a lame ass coach and had to totally tear down and rebuild the roster, which now he’s done.

This year the record needs to be there, but his first couple of years I just don’t hold against him that much…it was a full on dumpster fire…hard to fix that in one year

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I agree Douglas is better than Maccagnan, but Maccagnan was so bad that he booked himself a one-way ticket out of the NFL. The real question is can Douglas compare favorably to someone like Tanny when all is said and done. Tanny was a flawed GM who was rightfully fired, but he built the AFC championship game teams, and we'll see if Douglas can match that.

Jets79 likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Maccagnan's best season 10-6. Jpe Douglas' best season 7-9. At the end of the day it is about winning football games

16. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

As if either one puts on the cleats.

If science created the perfect sports GM, and gave him the worst roster in football it would still take at least a sub .500 season or two before he wins, and that's assuming he gets a great coach too. You can't go by W/L record unless it's a long amount of years.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You can't wash the GM's hands of the results on the field. He built the team and hired the coach.

HomeoftheJets and Ralebird like this.
  18. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I added to my post to clarify

19. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Fans just care more about meaningless drama than anything else. Can't believe this is even a criticism of the Jets. Who cares if the dude visits while hard knocks is going on? It literally means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Some fans just get mad at everything that ever happens.

Ralebird likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great post! I agree. In addition, Mac didn't consider scheme fit in the draft, and maybe not in FA either. I also don't think he worked with the CS and took their input.

Jets79 likes this.