Dalvin Cooks signs with Jets - 1 year deal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 8, 2023.

1. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Any people out there who don’t realize Breece can’t be rushed back need to take a deep breath. The guy had major knee surgery 9 months ago. He’s a runningback. Cmon. Get Dalvin. This year is TOO important

NCJetsfan, Cman68, JetFanInNE and 3 others like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

How true. We have gone entirely too long without a QB that the defense has to actually worry about.

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Browning with the dunk on the head!

But when someone doesnt want Dalvin Cook for being an asshole.... yet wants Leonard Fournette, that dunk desrves to be a Shaq double handed backboard breaking slam

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't know that the doucheyness of the Dalvin Cook quote quite approached the level that Young Zach achieved when he peeped out "Mo money mo problems, right?" in his squeaky white boy voice.

stinkyB likes this.
  5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Doucheyness power up

stinkyB and abyzmul like this.
  6. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

It’s all about phrasing.

“I want to sign with a team that values what I can do on the field”

vs

“Just getting around people that want to love on Dalvin Cook”

Which one sounds douchier?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. JetFanInNE

Oh I still want them to sign him (long as he doesn’t eat up all the available cap space), I’m just pointing out how gross that comment sounded. I’m a Red Sox fan, I rooted for David Price for 3 years so douchey athletes don’t worry me!

8. JetFanInNE

This is the most important season of my 25 years as a Jets fan. Let’s party!

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Sure, the first one sounds better, but they mean the same thing. It does not tell me anything about Cook's character. In fact overall when you listen to the entire quite, it tells me the guy wants to be a Jet and wants to win. My point is that folks now don't want him because of this quote, when there is nothing there, in fact it was a positive vibe towards the Jets and the team's desire to win.

10. JetFanInNE

Again, I still want them to sign him as long as he doesn’t cost all their remaining cap space, douchey comment and all

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I hear you. I don't expect Cook to be a Pro Bowl back this season, I really don't. It's possible, but it is not my expectation. And similarly his contract also should not be an all Pro contract, methinks probably 1 year and maybe around 5 mil or so guaranteed. But I do think we will be getting a solid RB, not unlike when we got LT, without breaking a bank. Someone whom we can rely on to split the reps with the rest of the backs, give quality reps, and who actually has credentials to maybe teach Breece a thing or two.

Reading training camp comments thus far it appears Izzy is not there yet and Carter just sucks and coupled with poor last year, it may be to the point where he is not a lock to even make the roster. Breece for all his progress, is even not cleared for contact until end of August. The season starts on Sept 11. He is more likely to start the season on IR than to make any significant contributions early. ACL injuries have a very high recurrence rate, and Jets would be foolish to rush Breece in. In fact, Saleh eluded to that in his comments, saying something to the regards that they need to protect him from himself.

Is Cook a must have? No, he is not. We can get by with Bam/Carter/Izzy if Cook signs elsewhere. But he is an upgrade in quality to the RB room, and is the best RB available. And given Breece's injury and training camp reports, where only Bam looked decent, it would be a much welcome upgrade without giving up any draft capital, unlike last year when we got banged up James Robinson in.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  12. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

ahem....
    Daryl Dawkins

stinkyB likes this.
  13. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

agree about not rushing breece. But... Knight and the rookie and Carter are already here... If we could get something for Carter ot knight I'd like getting cook

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In the way it comes across to me it sounds like he wants to be the lead RB and be the center of attention. Maybe you're right however, and he didn't feel loved and appreciated in Minnesota and/or didn't feel like they really were committed to winning. Also, in fairness to him, with the age and race difference, something could definitely be lost in the translation. I respect your and the others who want Cook opinions. Maybe I'm being too optimistic and not realistic enough. If the Jets decide to sign him, I hope that he'll be very good for us and won't cause any problems, and I'll do my best to root for him, because it will be best for the team if he is very productive.

15. NCJetsfan

Maybe he means it sexually. ;)

JetFanInNE likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

The second paragraph/quote makes it sound better and more palatable ot me. Thanks.

17. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I've read several quotes from Cook where his message was something to the effect that he was okay with not being the lead back, he wants a ring. Here's a quote from an interview he did on Sirius XM NFL Radio:

"I want to go and be the piece that can just help somebody win and get over the hump and whatever that situation comes with, if it comes with me taking less reps, but me being in the perfect situation to hold up that trophy, I don't mind. I just wanna go somewhere I can just get the ball and just help somebody win, and turn the next page."

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Massive Chants today at practice. I can't believe the Jets would allow this to go on and parade him around with Hard Knocks on site without knowing he is signing. They love to control the PR narrative and they lose all control over it if Cook doesn’t sign and it’s on Hard Knocks.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This can be a good signing if everyone (Douglas, Saleh, Hackett, and Cook) understands that Cook's best days are likely behind him, he's probably not a Pro Bowl-caliber RB anymore (his advanced metrics do not look good), and he's here to take carries until Breece is at full strength, at which point he becomes a secondary option. But if any of those four guys are under the impression that Cook should be paid like a Pro Bowler or fed the ball like a Pro Bowler, signing him probably won't end well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. JetFanInNE

They’re professionals, I’m sure they all understand (except Cook, who probably understands but doesn’t accept it) what he is