Dalvin Cooks signs with Jets - 1 year deal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 8, 2023.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Once I put my personal feelings aside, the thought of entering the second half of the season having both Hall and Cook on the backfield at the same time, be it short yardage or red zone, coupled with a two TE set, would be a sight for sore eyes and would put the fear of God on any defense. Pick your position.

Acad23, bicketybam and RyanM like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is Aaron Jones and Jamal Williams. Worked out pretty damn well for both of them and the team too. I still think this is Cook and his agent pressuring the Dolphins into one last contract offer that meets their demands but I do think he’ll be a Jet this weekend.

3. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

This could be the biggest douche response I’ve seen in years

sozopol, NCJetsfan and Acad23 like this.
  4. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Miami just took a major hit yesterday. Jets have to be the best option at this point

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You gotta love the 3rd person references

Acad23 and JetFanInNE like this.
  6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Well, thats a nice thought until you realize the defense would put 9 guys in the box against that set and unless our OL starts pushing around guys, its looking like a no gain to me.

7. BroadwayAaron

I urge any defense to put 9 men in the box against Aaron Rodgers and two TE's in the red zone. See: Rodgers entire career, especially under Hackett.

NCJetsfan, bicketybam and IDFjet like this.
  8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Good point lol

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Cook gives us the luxury of easing Breece back into the lineup.

We need better than Bam & MC in the backfield.

Borat likes this.
  10. bicketybam

And God forbid Breece tweaks his knee. I'd rather have Cook as RB1 than Carter.

Borat likes this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Breece starts the season on the PUP list...

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He definitely could, but would it be worth the distraction caused by the civil case with his girlfriend affect his play? Will it create a media shitstorm around the Jets, and on Hard Knocks? Sometimes with players nearing 30, especially RBs, their skills can deteriorate overnight. Has he been working out and in good shape? Will he accept that when Breece Hall is healthy, that he will be the starter and not Cook?

If the Jets decide to sign him, I will root for him and hope for the best, but I've never liked him and never wanted him on the Jets, so that makes me admittedly biased.

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The lawsuit is for next year, I don't think there will be any destructions here. The point about declining overnight is real, but it would have to be a pretty major decline for him to be worse than say Carter right now. That is possible, but not very likely. Speaking of Carter btw, he had a really bad last year, and is reportedly looking pretty bad in camp. At least with Bam Knight I see some good runs here and there, but with Carter there is a lot of TFLs. He averaged 3.5 ypg last season. Maybe Saleh sees something in the training camp that makes him think we can use another good RB.

Also, I don't think JD will break a bank on Cook. For the right price and a 1 year deal, I just don't see why not.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

Well I’m assuming this is a one year deal so I don’t really care about his age. He had a very above average last last year… I don’t think his production is going to fall off a cliff especially while splitting time. The civil suit is next year and enough has come out that the media and Douglas both feel there isn’t enough there to warrant huge attention. He seemingly has the mindset that he’ll do whatever it takes to win a title so I’d assume he’s aware he’s going to either split or take a back seat. I personally am a fan of riding the hot hand and if the two hands you’re choosing between are Breece Hall and Dalvin Cook, you’re in a damn good spot.

I’m honestly more concerned about Hall. His reaction every time we’re rumored to be interested in an RB is embarrassing. Dude needs to mature quick.

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Time to Cook!

I hope we bring the Sauce!

16. NCJetsfan

Good points in general, except that in Cook's case, they aren't as valid. He has averaged a little over 3 fumbles per season, and most of those fumbles were lost, so it seems that he fumbles when none of his teammates are around. His fumbles per season go like this: 1, 2, 4, 5, 3, 4. So if anything, he has gotten worse, instead of better during his career about holding onto the rock. So would Carter, Knight or even Dye be likely to fumble more than 3-4 times this season? Knight fumbled twice last season in 85 carries, so basically once every 21 carries. Cook fumbled 4 times in 264 carries, so once every 66 carries, so definitely a lot better. Carter fumbled once his rookie season in 147 carries, and twice last year in 114 carries, so he got worse, but it's inconclusive as to whether he would be about the same, better or worse with Cook's number of carries. Abanikanda fumbled 3 times last season at Pitt in 239 carries, so he's definitely not a big improvement over Cook in that department. I won't research Dye because he's not likely to make the team. So your point holds with Cook in terms of fumbles, but do we really want to pay $4-6 million this year (or more) to a RB who may turn the ball over 4-5 times, regardless of how many yards he amasses or TDs he scores? A fumble by Cook in the playoffs could end the Jets season. Curtis Martin had a reputation of never fumbling the ball, but he averaged almost 3 fumbles per season, and two of his fumbles cost us big time. His fumble vs Denver (I think) in the 1998 playoffs cost us that game, and his fumble in the first game of the 1999 season vs NE cost us Vinny Testaverde as Vinny was injured and lost for the season trying to recover Curtis' fumble. 1998 was Curtis' worst season for fumbles with 5. Ironically, 1999 was one of his best, with only the one fumble, but that one fumble cost us the 1999 season and a potential SB victory. So I agree with you that fumbles/turnovers are killers and we want to avoid players who turn the ball over. Whereas Cook could possibly give us a lot of yards and TDs, he could also cough up the ball and cost us everything. The Jets will have to pick their poison.

NYJalltheway and westiedog1 like this.
  17. bicketybam

You should have as much concern about Rodgers skills *deteriorating overnight* and honestly, have you ever seen the Cook play? You're advocating for Fournette and he's garbage compared to Cook.

The news about the domestic violence isn't new. The NFL hasn't acted on it thus far. And I'm sure the Jets will do their due diligence. Unless he's brain dead he will know that the future for the Jets is Breece Hall.

At the very least get off the Fournette bandwagon. He sucks.

18. NCJetsfan

Fair enough. I'm willing to overcome my biases against Cook, if that's what's best for the team. I just want to see them get to and win that SB without any circuses, distractions, or lockerroom problems.

Borat likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

It's possible, but unless he isn't as healthy as reports claim he is, I think he will be ready and will play at a high level. I think he will surprise like Adrian Peterson did, maybe not to the same extent, but I think he will be very good.

20. NCJetsfan

If Rodgers wants him, that's good enough for me. You guys are starting to convince me that maybe it would be a good thing and for the best to sign Cook. I still fear that he's just using us, however, and at the last minute, Miami will beat the Jets' offer, and he'll sign with Miami and make us look like patsies again.