Dalvin Cooks signs with Jets - 1 year deal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Dalvin can get us more than the 85 yards James Robinson gave us... :rolleyes:

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that Cooks signs with the Patriots. I'm not worried about them

I don't want him because of his beating his girlfriend. I don't want him because of the reps it will take away from our young RBs. I don't want him because of how much money he will demand. I don't want him because I think Breece is going to be ready day !. He is more like Adrian Peterson than other RBs. He's looking strong and ready to go already. Cook can be a distraction that we don't need. If we absolutely need to bring in a RB make it Fournette. He offers something that we don't have...a power back, and he's very good if not great receiver out of the backfield.

There are probably 1-2 other FAs out there that can help us this year. Sign them if need be, and roll the rest of the money into next year to help with the cap next year so we don't lose half the team.

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Fournette? Hard pass.

JetFanInNE and stinkyB like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

As I've said, I don't think they need to sign a RB, but I'm curious why wouldn't want Fournette if the Jets thought that they needed to bring in a RB.

KingRoach likes this.
  5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

There’s a reason he hasn’t been signed yet. Even with that RB in Buffalo blowing out his knee, there’s still no movement with RBs… that’s gotta mean something.

since JD is a beast at this, I’d love to see a performance based contract…. I’d overpay a little if he’s 2020 Cook but if he’s lost a step, I don’t want to waste money on a SOJ FA signing.

6. KingRoach

It could be Fournette played with Brady and AR8 doesn’t want their legacies crossing.

or he’s not as fluid in the passing game.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. KingRoach

We no longer live in a time of “need”.

JDs job is to make the team better. If signing Cook makes this team better, I’m all for it.

PS: you’re putting a ton of pressure on Breece….

Reporter: How’s Breece looking after the injury?

Saleh: We’re making sure he’ll be ready week one, the kid is the next AP.

8. bicketybam

His 3.5 ypc last year don't really get my juices flowing.

Borat, stinkyB and Acad23 like this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The beating of GF is alleged and not a fact. Innocent until proven guilty. As far as taking reps away, Bam is RB1 right now based on the reports from the camp. Breece may be ready day 1, but he cannot really have any contact for 9 months since the surgery, which is end of August, since surgery was in November. He will take time to get back. We will be lucky if he is Breece of old by mid season.

The only concern with Cook is that he has been a work horse for the past 4 years and he is 28 and may slow down. However, short of a complete collapse, he should be able to provide a major upgrade from Bam and then serve as a great one two punch with Breece once Breece gets back to form. It took some players a full year to do that btw, just look at Barkley as the latest example.

It would help greatly to have a Pro Bowl level RB just now as we wait for Breece to return and regain his form. Also, perhaps JD can do some magic and not break a bank here.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

There were character concerns about Cook when he entered the NFL draft. He has definitely lost speed and is on the decline according to what I've been reading. If he is on the decline, then he may not still be a Pro Bowl level RB. I also can't help but believe that he is just using us in an effort to get more money from Miami. Sorry, but I have zero interest in Cook. I think he'd just slow down the development of our young RBs and potentially be a problem. I'd rather roll with Bam, Carter and Abanikanda and maybe the rookie Tye. If the Jets feel like they must bring in a RB, then I prefer Fournette if he's healthy. We don't have a power back, and based on what I've read he has more tread left on his tires than Cook. He is also an excellent receiver out of the backfield, and is probably a better blocker on pass plays than Cook. I think he is also used to being part of a rotation at RB or being part time. Last season he only started 9 games although he played in 16. Cook will want to be "the guy."

#90 NCJetsfan, Jul 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
    onefanjet likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

OK, thanks. I understand. I don't know the circumstances other than they (TB) weren't very good last year. He only started 9 games, but appeared in 16. It could be a matter of losing some of his power or he could have been knicked up last season, or it could have been without Brady they didn't have the passing game to open up the rushing attack. The year before he had a career high 4.5 ypc average. I understand that a 3.5 ypc average isn't sexy, but it gets you a first down with 3 rushes. I think we need a power back to pound on opposing teams at times. It would make our RB corps more well-rounded and complete.

12. NCJetsfan

I'm not sure that Cook would make the team better. If he is in decline, as I've read others say he is, then his production could drop off dramatically this season. I don't know what kind of offense Minnesota runs. Is he familiar with a scheme like this? Can he block or will he make an effort to block in pass protection? Will he be a selfish me-first player? Does he even want to play here or is he just looking for money or trying to use the Jets to get more money from Miami?

13. NCJetsfan

Interesting thought. I don't know that Rodgers think we need to add a RB or if he even has any thoughts about Cook or Fournette one way or the other, but he may have.

14. bicketybam

Rodgers played against Cook and I'm sure he knows what the guy is capable of. He's had a way more productive career than Fournette. His career ypc is almost a yard better and he rushed for 47 TD's to Fournette's 34.

After giving back 35 million to the Jets I think Rodgers will have some sort of input on whether they need a RB or not. If Cook comes here, you have to figure Rodgers was on board.

NCJetsfan, JetFanInNE and KY Jets Fan like this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Cook may not be in his prime but there’s no way in hell replacing Michael Carter with someone who is coming off a season of 1173 yards and 8 TDs DOESNT make the team better…

16. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

We all know how the media works, if this were true, how is this not a bigger story? I am a member of several message boards and none of them are talking about it at all. Something doesn’t feel right.
    If Cook is signed, he becomes Breece’s understudy once the coaches feel he’s ready to return so someone will be odd man out, maybe that guy becomes trade fodder for some OL depth?

17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Cook was on Good Morning Football on NFL Network this morning and had some interesting things to say about the upcoming visit with the Jets:

Dalvin Cook on @gmfb on what he’s looking for from his visit with the #Jets: “Just a great vibe, man. Just getting around people that want to love on Dalvin Cook, that want to share that value that I want. And just trying to get around guys that want to win. I want to bring something different to the table and that’s being Dalvin Cook.”

Dalvin Cook, via @gmfb, on the odds of signing with the #Jets: "I think they're pretty high, man. I think we're in a position of, you know, a team that's building something special + I want to be part of something special as a player. I want to add to whatever they've got going on, so I think the possibility is high right now of getting this done." His feelings about Aaron Rodgers' pay cut: "It feels like that's the guy you want to be around." #Jets

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. bicketybam

Did he mention anything about driving up the price for Miami?

19. RyanM

RyanM New Member

I think he signs this weekend...Rogers is in such a good place right now, he's happy you have to think he restructured to bring in more weapons and if Breece isn't 100%, Dalvin would be a great pickup

20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The only rationale I can come up with for signing someone like Cook or even another veteran RB, is when your going for all the marbles as the Jets are, you would prefer not to have to rely on inexperienced key position players as is currently the Jets RB stable. With Rodgers, the window for victory is so small, one mistake such as a fumble or dropped pass by a rookie or inexperienced player at a crucial point in a game can muck up the whole plan. The one thing you can say about Cook is that he has experience and that could be the difference between getting the Lombardi trophy and having to start all over next year.

NCJetsfan likes this.