Rodgers reworks contract

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Jul 26, 2023.

1. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Tom Brady did this to the Jets for 2 decades. It's refreshing to be on the other side of it.

Pepsiguy5, NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I still don't remember who said it, but one of the beat guys I think said Rodgers would come off like a folk hero after this restructure, and said it quite a while back.

Brook!, ukjetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Here, here!

4. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Plus I doubt that Rodgers has a shady side deal attached to make money from the Jets like Brady did from the Patriots.

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It was Connor hughes who pounded his chest for days saying how amazing this restructure would be. He was right.

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    New contract

That $51m in 2025 is still brutal if he isn't on the roster, but that's what I'm guessing the void years at the end are for? If he leaves after two years it is still $86m cap hit, but can prob spread it out over those final 5 years to mitigate the hit?

@Borat probably knows better with the cap stuff.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

For salary cap purposes. I think the remaining signing bonus and any other payments he is due accelerate into the year he retires and dead cap for that year, if he does retires before June 1, and are split over 2 years if he retires after June 1. The deal is reputed to have a few option years on the back end, so if the option years end up being exercised, then this issue might go away.

8. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I'm speechless. My avatar explains my mood.

Brook! and KY Jets Fan like this.
  9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Rodgers gave the JETS a Discount DoubleCheck :)

Brook!, Acad23, BacktoQueens and 3 others like this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I remember when Woody and the crew flew out to meet him in CA. All bullshit aside, that must have been some meeting.

dawinner127 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I was in this camp.

I preferred Carr to Rodgers because I assumed Rodgers would be more expensive and he was more expensive in terms of the compensation it took to acquire him.

He made me eat my words yesterday though. I never expected that Rodgers and Carr would be making relatively the same amount of money for the next couple of years.

Brook!, Fiftynine, Acad23 and 3 others like this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Feels like Connor Hughes was saying this type of thing from the moment the trade went through. Guess he was right all along.

Maybe Boomer said something similar too?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Void years are to lower the CAP while he is is here, but ultimately full 75 mill we will need to count against CAP. So, he will only count 9 and 17 in the next two years, but then if he leaves we will need to take on the difference between that and about 75 mil he was actually paid. It will likely be split among two years also. Either way, that's 35 mil less in dead CAP than there would have been otherwise and much more manageable.

Usually, when someone takes "pay cut" it's when the money is not guaranteed so they take less than they made last year, since otherwise they could be cut without pay and eventually sign elsewhere and get paid less either way. And restructures typically are to take actually more money upfront to spread the CAP hit, but actual guaranteed money are not reduced and in fact are given to the player sooner.

What Rodgers did is take an actual pay cut from what was already guaranteed and actually accept less cash upfront that he was owed, forfeiting 35 mil of money owed to him. I personally have not seen this type of sacrifice before, if someone has, would like to see it. Even Brady while has taken perhaps less than he was worth, but I haven't really seen him rework a deal to take less money than he already was guaranteed.

14. bicketybam

I completely understand the argument for Carr over Rodgers at the time. Carr was a FA and didn't require any draft picks. He was also cheaper and younger. It was more the "He's only in it for the money and he's a scumbag crowd" that I was referring to.

Let's face it. Giving up 35 million to play for the Jets (the Jets!) is something that I never saw happening. That's a huge sacrifice for him in order to make the team stronger. Not a lot of guys would do that. Massive props to Rodgers

I'd love to see Mosley do the same thing. He's the leader of the defense and the leader of the offense just gave money back to help the team win. What say you, CJ?

Brook!, Fiftynine, NCJetsfan and 3 others like this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Completely agreed on Mosley. Even though he had a really good year last year, I think at 31 years of age, his value is less than 17 mil. One difference between his and AR's contract though is that his 17 mil for this year is NOT guaranteed. Not sure when it becomes guaranteed, but today it is not according to over the cap: https://overthecap.com/player/cj-mosley/2956

I suspect that between now and the day when it is scheduled to become fully guaranteed that non guaranteed number of 17 mil will be reduced to a guaranteed number, which is quite a bit below 17 mil for this year, similar to Lawson.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think I have ever felt this way about a contract.

Maybe when Chad gave up (or at least offered to give up, can't quite remember the details) a couple of million so the Jets could bring back his old buddy LC... but this is even bigger than that. I am frankly amazed that an athlete gave up guaranteed money. This really could be a special two years, and he's even suggested it may, just may, be three years.

NY Jets68, bicketybam, Borat and 2 others like this.
  17. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it was Conor Hughes on SNY I remember him being practically giddy regarding the Jets friendly pay cut Rodgers would take.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Defense wins ball games...

19. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

I guess with this alleged $35 million savings the Jets can now pass it onto the fans and lower ticket and concession prices. Dream on...

Acad23 likes this.
  20. bicketybam

My guess is they will use it to field the best team possible.