Where will the Jets finish in the division (poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Jun 8, 2023.

?

Where will the Jets finish in the AFC East?

1. 1st

34 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. 2nd

40 vote(s)
    43.0%
  3. 3rd

17 vote(s)
    18.3%
  4. 4th

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say either that Becton hates the fanbase or the fanbase hates him. A segment of the fanbase has given up on him and may hate him, but I don't think they are even close to being the majority. Becton has jawed with his detractors on Twitter and probably Instagram, but he has great relations with other fans who still believe in him. I wouldn't say that his chances of remaining a Jet are slim and none, either. I think that all depends on several things: if he doesn't stay healthy, if he plays poorly this year, of if Saleh has given up on Becton. If any or all of those things happen, then I agree that Becton's a goner. Conversely, if he stays healthy and plays really well this year, he could be a career Jet unless he decides to test the FA waters or decides that the negative Jets fans, getting re-injured last season practicing at RT after telling the coaches that his knee was soree, and/or having to play RT this season make him decide to play elsewhere.

As for Wilson, I agree that taking him was not crazy. As of right now, I agree that it was a swing and a miss, but the story hasn't finished. Wilson still has a chance to save his Jets and NFL career. If he has matured, fixed his fundamentals, and listens to and learns from Hackett and Rodgers, he could still wind up the Jets' FQB. With regards to Wilson, I do fault JD for hiring Saleh rather than Daboll (although Daboll may not have wanted the Jets job after interviewing or may not have wanted Zach) or an offensive-minded HC with experience developing QBs, and then for allowing Saleh to hire a novice OC in MLF, even with Greg Knapp supposed to be here to help oversee things. It's not a fatal mistake, but a pretty big one imo. The thing is that every GM makes mistakes. They miss on draft picks and FA signings. They mishandle situations. That's because they learn on the job.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I think it was @Jonathan_Vilma who posted the stats before, but Wilson amounting to anything at this point in his career would be one of the biggest anomalies of all time, maybe even the biggest. You are blaming everyone everyone but the player in this situation.

We can just agree to disagree on JD b/c neither of us will be moved from our stances. There is just no way I can sit here and say JD has been great when he has two massive misses on his resume thus far in the draft and has yet to fix the OL since he has arrived.

He's been fine IMO, but not definitely not great.

abyzmul likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

win something and they might be well liked

Acad23 likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

Players get injured a lot, kinda surprising the rather thin Stefon Diggs hasnt been injured yet in Buffalo. If he misses any time they have the worst WR corps in the league

5. NCJetsfan

We can agree to disagree. I have no problems with that at all. I still respect your opinion and understand why you see things the way you do.

I have blamed Zach for his immaturity, his cockiness, how he handled things, his failure to take responsibility, and have admitted that his play was abysmally poor. It may turn out that he can't handle pressure or read Ds quickly enough for the WCO scheme, but I will be surprised if that's the case. He has the most talent of any QB that's been on this team since Joe Namath until we traded for Aaron Rodgers. IMO you don't just give up on a player like that. I'll remind you about Steve Young. I'm sure that lots of people wrote him off and said the same things about him. Kurt Warner is another. Then there's Geno Smith. The thing that imo you and many others choose to ignore however, is that he was set up to fail rather than to succeed. The best franchises don't draft a rookie QB without having either a HC or OC who have experience in working with and developing young QBs and certainly don't hire a rookie HC and rookie OC.

With regards to JD, I think his biggest mistake was in hiring Saleh and then allowing him to hire MLF. I think he tried to compensate and ameliorate the situation by hiring Greg Knapp, but it was still a mistake. I don't think Greg Knapp would have made that much of a difference. I think that MLF and he would have just been at odds, and perhaps at each other's throats. Also, since Zach apparently didn't have the right fundamentals for a WCO, if was a mistake to either hire Saleh or draft Zach. He either needed to draft a QB who had the right fundamentals for a WCO or hire a HC that was going to run a scheme or develop a scheme that fit what Zach did well at BYU and can do well in the NFL. He failed to do that. I don't know if that was the scouts' ignorance or JD's and CS's or all of them. Aside from, that I think he has done a very good to great job with the cap, FA, and the draft. He had to deal with Adam Gase his first year with the Jets, and then had to clean up Mac's mess, and gut the roster. The team was a dumpster fire. Has he been perfect? No, but no GM or person is perfect. Considering what he has had to deal with, I think he has done an awesome job. He's had to deal with two idiots as owners. None of us knows what he has had to overcome there behind the scenes. The Jets had perhaps the worst roster in the NFL when Douglas was hired, and now going into his 5th season he has one of the better rosters in the NFL, and if Becton can stay healthy and play up to his potential, and Zach can somehow develop, the roster will be incrementally better.

With regards to the OL, that wasn't the only deficiency the team had. JD can't be blamed that the OL has suffered a ton of injuries. Through the draft he added Becton, AVT, Clark and Mitchell, and now Warren. How is it JD's fault that each of those players save Warren have spent time on IR or are out of the NFL in Clarke's case? He couldn't sign FAs that weren't there in FA, or who didn't want to play for the Jets, or that he didn't have the cap space to sign. All GMs have to try to find bargain players as stopgaps. It's a hit or miss proposition, and there are probably more misses than hits for all GMs. I supposed he could have fixed the OL if he had thrown all his financial and draft resources at it, but then our D would suck or we'd have no weapons on offense. I'm certain that neither you nor many posters would be happy with that situation. You'd be killing him for that. I respectfully submit that imo your expectations are simply not realistic and you're holding up some standard that NO ONE can reach.

Maybe he's not on the same level as Ron Wolff yet, but I don't believe that Wolff had the same mess to deal with that JD did when he was hired. Ozzie Smith [Edit: I meant Newsome, not Smith] never found a great QB and he missed on picks, does that make him not a great GM?

#125 NCJetsfan, Jul 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
    westiedog1 likes this.
  6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Ozzie Smith may have never drafted a great QB but he was one of the greatest shortstops on MLB history. Ozzie Newsome drafted Flacco, who won a SB and a huge contract as well as Lamar Jackson.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

kudos to you for getting through that giant block of shit

NY Jets68, Dierking and dawinner127 like this.
  8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The Jets are one of the Browns 3 white out games.

[​IMG]

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I changed my vote from 2nd in the division to 1st... because why the fuck not.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's pretty clever having Dude Wipes sponsor the Browns having a white out.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

ROFLMAO!!! Right you are! Obviously, I meant Newsome. I remember thinking Newsome, haven't a clue why I typed Smith.

12. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I voted 4th. Why? Because, last year, we finished 4th. The year before? We finished... 4th.

Prove me wrong, Jets.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  13. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Taking a raw QB at #2 certainly wasn't crazy as we pretty much needed a QB and outside of TLaw the 2021 QB class hasn't been outstanding.

The only potential knock on JD is whether he took the right one and iirc at the time the discussion was Wilson or Fields so events in Chicago may have an impact on how the pick is seen in retrospect (I discount whatever Trey may do as I don't think he even entered the discussion at #2).

14. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Check out the USA today predictions. They have the AFCE as a very tough and competitive division.

[​IMG]

Brook! likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

I dont think its possible that 3 teams from the same division will win 11+ games, especially when the last place team wins 7

GREG likes this.
  16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Agree. All 3 teams with 11 or more wins is a little unrealistic.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

They have us tied for the second-best record in the NFL, but we still wouldn't get to win the division. Oh and our first round playoff opponent would be Jacksonville so we'd get to face Trevor Lawrence. That might just be Jets enough to happen.

KingRoach and GREG like this.
  18. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

In this scenario the Jags at 10-7 would have homefield advantage over the 12-5 Jets. I could also see this happening because it would be the Jets luck to have a better record yet be the road team.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

We need a
    "Predict the Jets' 2023 Record" Thread badly.

@KingRoach - My King, do you want to start a thread or shall I do it?