Aaron Rodgers Main Thread #3

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 9, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Did anyone consider the possibility that the delay in the Aaron Rodges trade is a big dog and pony show? What I mean is, maybe the deal was done over a month ago and Green Bay mngt wanted to make it look they were holding out for a big return. The fact is that many GB fans expected a haul of picks in return for Rodgers. GB mngt could use the time to lower fan expectations and then announce the deal right before the draft. Then the fans would focus on the draft and forget about the AR trade.

2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Of course the deal is done. Joe Douglas could possibly be under the spell of the Jets incompetence; but he seems like a smart guy. He announced publicly that Rodgers will be here. That kinda stuff costs you an entire career if it backfires, he’s not that stupid (although I don’t think saying what he said was all that bright either). My bet is the deal is done on June 1st. It is so obviously beneficial to GB to do the deal post June 1st I don’t see how anyone could think otherwise, other than the fact media outlets would have nothing to talk about. And I don’t think they can legally disclose the trade with a future effective date.

stinkyB likes this.
  3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Quite a few here have mentioned that possibility, I said the same weeks ago. Someone else mentioned it earlier today

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

and NFL has gotten alot of extra air time during a period where focus normally is the start of baseball season and playoffs of NHL & NBA, aside from the week before the draft....

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If we drop two spots in the first round and keep both second rounders, that's a Joe Douglas master class.

JackBower and stinkyB like this.
  6. stinkyB

I'm guessing there will be more involved than that.... but hopefully other compensation is based on performance / tenure escalators

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Definitely will be more involved but it should take 42/43 out of consideration. Although we don't have a third and I doubt moving up two spots plus 112 would get it done.

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

If that's true, then GB won't get any picks from the Jets in this year's draft. Maybe the Jets will send over a player instead, like Corey Davis.

KWJetsFan likes this.
  9. stinkyB

can it be done like baseball... "for a player to be determined later"?

10. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Man, that would be a great deal for the Jets. I'm all for that.

11. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

If you go back a few posts you’ll see I actually mentioned just that, not only a player this year but draft picks next year as well. I do think that will be a high pick because next year’s picks are always worth less than the current year. Hopefully it’s based on Rodgers or team performance so we‘re not totally screwed if this goes sideways..

12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I don’t believe the NFL works that way. My gut tells me it’s Corey Davis this year and something like a 2nd and 4th next year with that 2nd becoming a 1st based on performance.

dmw likes this.
  13. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Why is a second this year not being given up? Because we flipped in the first round and some guy with 26 followers on Twitter said so? Doubt we are not giving up a second rounder

stinkyB likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Mehki Becton straight up for Rodgers. They can have a reclamation project, we take on that albatross contract for them

(we draft Becton's replacement at 13 anyway)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.