Jets re-sign C Connor McGovern

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 24, 2023.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’m fine with this. He was better than any option available out there and it doesn’t prevent us from taking a center in the draft. Solid player who got a ton of unwarranted hate.

egelband, hornblower, Borat and 3 others like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Dont you think you have to know the contract figures before you declare yourself fine with it?

Jets69 likes this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah me too…I don’t think he was the weakest link in the OL either…not up to the Mawae/Mangold standards but we have a starter now and I agree, it doesn’t mean we can’t draft a C anyway…though maybe this tips the balance towards going OT / DT with our first two picks, and then maybe C later?

Although I had to chuckle at the PR dept’s headline…”Keeping the OL together”

Uhm…I think the OL was one of weak links, so not sure I’d be touting it that way…but whatever…

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Fills one of our biggest holes prior to the draft which could give us some more flexibility, I like it.

Like you said though, I don't think this precludes us from taking a JMS/Tippman/etc. but it allows us to let the board fall to us now.

5. BroadwayAaron

logic dictates that a mid level vet signing in April probably isn’t getting the full brinks truck.

6. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I'm going guess 1 year/4 million

7. BroadwayAaron

Maybe guaranteed $4 mil but I bet there are incentives getting it as high as $8 mil. He’s a good player, a legit starter, he’ll be paid as such.

hornblower, JetFanInNE and Lon Chaney like this.
  8. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Still think we need to upgrade from him at some point but given there were no better options this is ok.

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think OL is still a need…and a first round need at that…but IF (and yes it’s a huge IF) Becton can actually play, that would help a lot.

I still say OL is our top need, then I’d say probably DT, LB, S in some kind of order (I’d like to resign Kwon Alexander too, not sure why that hasn’t happened yet as I thought he was a good spark plug for us)

Not sure how Breece Hall is doing, but history with other players tells us he may not look the same until 2024, so we either roll with Bam/Carter/Ty Johnson/Hall, or if there is a decent RB in the mid-rounds maybe we go that way (but I doubt it)

Receiver may be a need depending on what happens with Cory Davis, if he’s gone in the GB trade, do we roll with a starting group of GW/Lazard/Hardman? that leaves Mims as the primary backup? If that’s the case, then I’d probably look to add someone to that group…

But still…assuming we get AR here, and fill the OL hole with the 13th pick, I think our offense would be pretty good even with the status quo at RB/WR

Borat likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

we will:

Best case scenario IMO. Quality starter starts, his replacement lies in waiting.

cmcm750203 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I could see them waiting until Day 3 to target a C prospect now though.

Someone like Oluwatimi or Scruggs could be a very good back-up C this year with the potential to become the starter as early as next season but you could probably wait until 112 or 143 for those guys.

hornblower and JetFanInPA like this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

One of my favorite Day 3 guys is Chase Brown. He's a little smaller at 5'9" 209 but he could be a great compliment to what we have already in the RB room and could be had somewhere on Day 3.

14. BrowningNagle

Ok, I hope you are right

15. BroadwayAaron

I know it's a big ask to assume the Jets used logic, but all things considered I don't see how we could possibly overpay him. We have barely any cap space and can maneuver enough to fit in Rodgers but outside of that, no idea what we'd do to create more space. At least the amount needed to consider McGovern an overpay. I care more about years honestly... if it's essentially a one-year deal then it means we plan to draft his replacement which I'm a fan of.

JetFanInNE and KY Jets Fan like this.
  16. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'm assuming this is insurance for brokering a 2nd round pick(s) with GB? Surely C would be our pick there?

17. BrowningNagle

well they overpaid him last time. So logic would suggest the status quo when dealing with the same player and the same evaluators.

It is possible though McGovern came back with his tail between his legs with a significant pay cut. I hope that is the case. I'm gonna wait and see before I do any cheerleading though

dmw likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

If “I’m fine with it” is cheerleading then I didn’t disappoint anywhere near as many women as I thought.

Brook! likes this.
  19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Yea. That's what I was getting at. Should've explained it better.

20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

..."McGovern came back with his tail between his legs with a significant pay cut." I would do more than that for $4 Million/year. LOL

BrowningNagle likes this.