Mike White on "Moving the Chains" with Jim Miller on SiriusXM

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ralebird, Feb 24, 2023.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Just got home and was listening to SXM when Mike White was interviewed about his free agency by Miller and his co-host tonight. Both hosts were giving White props that seemed to be above the normal "treat your guest right" scenario. I get the idea that they think he has put himself in a position where he will have a fairly decent demand from teams.

I was disappointed to not hear that White wanted to remain with the Jets, not that he said otherwise but stressed that he would be looking for the best place for him to go as far as coaches and complementary players; finances seemed to be secondary. He said his wife is doing more research into what other teams will be looking than he is. What was not touched on was any discussion of his desires to remain a Jet or anything from the team that said they were interested in retaining him. Maybe that exists but it was probably only about five minutes for the entire interview.

Discussion was more pointed at how he got through the rib shot that would have eliminated many others and the respect and confidence of his teammates and how a QB gets that. Interesting that he didn't claim to have a magic potion but simply always strives to be a good teammate in the locker room to the whole team, not just the offense. He spoke of being the QB1 of whatever unit he was on at the time, whether starter or backup, and working his way up from there.

Whether this guy finds a place to start regularly or ends up a career backup, he may have a great future in coaching - just my opinion.

SOJAZ, Lon Chaney, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't blame him; it isn't like the Jets are showing him much interest either. The fact is he's most likely a backup-level QB, and while he's better than Zach, is he that much better that we should give him a new contract and eat the dead money from cutting Zach? Plus it isn't like we want either one of them to start; we're currently going after Rodgers and Carr.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If White winds up in the right situation he could be a decent starter for a good team.

He needs to be in an Erhardt-Perkins that sets up the pass with the run. He might even be able to manage the Pats version of the E-P that operates out of the spread at times.

azhar80 and stinkyB like this.
  4. Ralebird

Actually, what I've considered the most logical outcome would be a Rodgers or Carr signing with both White and Wilson on the undercard. That would be in consideration that White's contract would be competitive with the rest of the league for a decent backup and Wilson's was settled in the past unless somebody like the guy from Carolina came and overpaid again to take him away.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He stinks. Great dude. Great teammate. Not a good QB.

Next.

Mehl-56 likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

White and Wilson both being on the Jets would require Douglas to think White and only White could save the Jets season if Rodgers or Carr goes down. And it would require White being willing to compete to be the backup here instead of signing with another team to be the uncontested backup. I don't think it's likely that both those things happen.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You root for a guy like that. I hope he finds a good organization to play for, he deserves it

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

As a JETS fan for several decades..... you just know this guy will find future success..... on another team

9. Ralebird

Where does any NFL player go that he does not need to compete to get, or keep, a job? Why would anyone believe Mike White has a problem with earning a job? And where is any NFL job uncontested?

10. BrowningNagle

like Jeff Blake or something

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

In the XFL

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I would love to have White as back-up, but if we spend this much on a starter, who is very durable, which both Rodgers and Carr are, I am not sure if JD will spend meaningful amount for White. He will probably focus on other areas and maybe bring in a cheaper vet. I mean if White can be hard for 5 mil - sure, but I think it will cost more. If we end up with Jimmy G or Tanny, who are cheaper and fragile, then White will be a priority.

Similarly, White might prefer to be in a situation where he does not have a good durable starter in front of him. LA Rams sounds like a fit: MILF is there now, and Stafford is not exactly an iron man.

13. Br4d

White's a terrible backup. You can't have an injury prone guy backing up your main guy because when you need him he might not be there for long.

See Jay Fiedler backing up Chad Pennington for a perfect example of this theorem.

bicketybam likes this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Not sure he is injury prone. The hits he took, I don't know how many guys would have stayed upright. And he took a lot of hits. Not to keep shitting on MILF, but I thought MILF didn't do Mike any favors. He was required to stand tall in the pocket (well, since he can't really make plays on the move anyway) and there were many long developing plays without ability to protect. He kept taking big hits like a trooper, until he couldn't anymore.

You saw what happened after he came back a few weeks after the injury, when he wasn't willing to take any more shots and started running. Looked every bit as bad as the other guys. He needs decent protection to properly evaluate, like everyone else. I thought he did show some good ability though in first 3 games, there is definitely some potential there.

SOJAZ and NY Jets68 like this.
  15. Br4d

It was two years running. The Jets pass protection was not good but he got knocked out of games two years running. That's rarely accidental.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He wasn't seriously hurt in 2021. Also, it's not an accident to get injured if you keep standing tall in the pocket on the long developing plays, like the OC asks you and pass pro stinks bad. You WILL get hurt, it's just a matter of time. He does have some good qualities, such as good processor and gets rid of the ball pretty quick. He needs to make better decisions when to bail the pocket, and really he needs a decent pass pro to be effective. And a flak jacket. I think as a back-up though he could be quite good if the aforementioned conditions are met. Assuming he wasn't ruined psychologically from these hits last year and is now going to bail early like he did in the last game.

SOJAZ and stinkyB like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

everybody is injury prone when the offensive line lets a beast LB like Milano through completely untouched

Jay Fiedler was quite durable in Miami by the way

18. BroadwayAaron

He was bouncing around practice squads and inactive lists for years before he was our third stringer promoted to starter by default. Two years in a row he followed the exact same pattern of lighting it up, coming back down to earth, getting hurt, then being flat out bad. At some point someone is who they are.

Like I said… great guy, great teammate, not an NFL QB

JetFanInNE and bicketybam like this.
  19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

He got hurt in three games or less both times he needed to go in.

If the jets were rebuilding he would have a place, but not when we are trying to make the playoffs. Also like it or not the jets still believe in Zach and probably will hand him #2 QB

20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

White didn't recognize the defense and didn't call the proper protection. That's why he got blasted by Milano. That was on him. The guy is made of glass. He would be a terrible backup and if I'm choosing between Rodgers, Carr or White as a starter, White isn't even in the conversation.