Nathaniel Hackett hired as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Jan 26, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This doesn't have to be the case. In fact, it really should be the other way around. The Jets do need a better QB this year, but they don't need Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers would like to go somewhere else, G would love to unload his salary and CAP, so really they're more in need of help.

I hope JD plays hardball, and while I think Rodgers would be a great fit here for all the reasons I and others have mentioned, we don't need him.

Ralebird, Jets79 and Cman68 like this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I would have definitely thrown out last year as a HC, if he failed mostly because of defense or time management or some other issues, not related to dog shit offense. But he is an offensive coach, and offense was the absolute worst. In spite of having a QB, who made Pro Bowl almost every year of his carrier. We can just cast this aside saying he was a HC. This was bad, really bad. This actually reminds a little bit of Gase. Had success with one of the best QBs of all time, but then failed in Miami with Tennehill. Manning spoke volumes about him, like Rodgers did about Hackett. So, I for one, am very concerned.

What makes me feel a bit better is that in Jacksonville and Buffalo he wasn't terrible, with pretty bad QBs. Even had top 5 offense with Bortles. Of course he then followed up with being #31, but overall, these were not bad stints. Good stint in GB also. Terrible in Denver, though it was only 1 year. There is a chance he can be OK. Not sure if he is an upgrade over MILF or not on his own merit, probably yes since he had successful years as OC, but the fact he increases our chances at Rodgers definitely puts him over MILF in my book.

IIMeanDeanII and Jets79 like this.
  3. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

On the contrary. It's the Packers who are bent over. They are way over the cap for 2023. They would love to unload Rodgers and his hefty contract. Green Bay has very little leverage to drive a hard bargain. Joe Douglas will play hardball and with any luck Rodgers will wear Jets green in '23.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Frank Reich
    Byron Leftwich

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sins of the father???

6. HackettSuxTNG

That was a great episode of Star Trek TNG

Cman68 likes this.
  7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Agree--Hackett is an upgrade too. It made absolutely no sense in 2021 to pair rookie QB Zach W. with rookie OC Mike L.. As I recall, in 2021 Mike L. couldn't decide for a while whether to call plays from the sideline or the booth. I think Hackett already has that figured out.

8. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

I hate the Jets

9. HackettSuxTNG

Move like this one make it an effort to like them, that is for sure.

silent scream likes this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Frank Reich was never taking an OC job. Did you miss the part about him interviewing for HC positions and being hired as one?

Leftwich would have garnered just as much negativity as Hackett. Look at the roster he had this past season and the Bucs only averaged 18.4 ppg. And he not as experienced as Hackett. He's not an awful choice but he's no better than Hackett.

Nyjets4eva and RochesterJet like this.
  11. HackettSuxTNG

I'd love to hear who the Pro-Hackett crowd would have considered other than Hackett rather than blasting anyone who dared to provide alternatives. Let's hear some names.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They just are positive about whoever the Jets pick, the Jets can do no wrong to them. So your list could be miles long and they will come on here and talk about how great he or she is as a coordinator

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well you can't provide an alternative that was never a realistic option. Saying Reich should have been the guy is just not an answer based in reality. But to answer the question:

Joe Brady (but he apparently didn't take any interviews)
    Todd Monken (no chance he was leaving Georgia)
    Darrell Bevel (stayed with Miami)
    Clint Kubiak

Would have preferred those guys to Hackett but only one was actually an option at the end of the day.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. HackettSuxTNG

An interesting point of view.

15. bicketybam

I would have taken Bill O'Brien.

16. bicketybam

There also a crowd that was ready to shit on whoever the Jets picked. It's the popular thing to do here. Like a badge of honor to some.

Nyjets4eva and RochesterJet like this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Also not an option.

18. bicketybam

I'm saying before he was hired by the Pats. He was not going to get a HC gig. Had the Jets managed to get him I would not have been pissed. That's all.

19. burf

burf Well-Known Member

For anyone interested in the Hackett hire (aside from whining), here's a statistical comparison of AR, with & without Hackett by Nania... it looks like Hackett actually helped AR be better, especially in the Red Zone. He designed the Red Zone offense, as well as the whole scheme... hopefully, he'll bring some of that here, with or without AR...

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/01/27/ny-jets-aaron-rodgers-nathaniel-hackett-stats/

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Did he do the same breakdown for Russ?

All that's left is to get Aaron here, and we will be all set.

bicketybam likes this.