Let's discuss Michael Turner

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 9, 2007.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

This all makes sense, but a rookie runningback will be no better at taking the pounding then Michael Turner.

You are saying you want a rookie RB no?

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That is all great, but what are you suggesting exactly? Turner is probably the most reasonable back available for the Jets this offseason (Excluding the draft). This argument does not make sense to me, unless you are wanting to just sit on the backs we currently have. Regardless if we get Turner, or draft a back for this team, we are still going to have a back that wont have those "fresh legs" down the stretch. Turner has already played with the big boys, and has proven that he can run. Turner has played atleast the equivalence to a full college season, so he would be on the same page as ANY rookie in that aspect of your arguement.

Turner has experience in this league, and is proven with a good/decent line. He is young still, and does have fresh legs weather you want to believen it or not. He HAS learned from the best back in this league for 3 years, and that knowledge would be priceless for any back in this league. I read someone saying that you cant learn much from simply studying this position, and being trained/molded into a better player at this skill position. That is crap. All of the best backs took in information, and studied their respectful position to a high extent. Just about EVERY back with a hard work ethic, and the willingness to take in as much information where they could (Expecially from a premiere/HOF back) are more times than not successful.

I think Turner is a safe option for this team, but I am also not against this organizations other options either. The only REAL arguement I could see going against Turner, is if you argued that we ALREADY have capable backs for this team. Drafting in my eyes is about pointless (Considering our position in this draft).

Regardless I am confident Mangini & Co. will do what is best for this organization. It will work out in the long run.

3. McCareins 81

McCareins 81 New Member

I would absolutely love to see him in Green. I attended many of his college games and he is a fantastic back...the total package. He should be this teams RB for the next 8 years. A great great talent

Sign the Burner

4. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

portis would be too much $$$$ imo....i think going after turner is less of a gamble since schottys there and can give a full and detailed scouting report. thats one FA we would really know the little things about.

as far as portis goes....i would rather get someone younger, with less miles on them. in denver, MS has proven to be a genius with RBs and QBs...he gets the most out of whoever plays that pos for him. portis has skills theres no denying that, but hes way, WAY too beaten up to justify the large contract he will demand.

i think either getting a back right from the draft and make them the featured back, or a guy who has a year or 2 under their belt as a backup (like turner) to a sensible contract....maybe something that is incentive laden at least through the first year. that way the FO doesnt cut its throat and whoever it is thats signed has a chance to make a lot of money if they perform.

5. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

btw...i know that we are like 24 mil under the cap this offseason....is that before or after C-Marts contract came off of the books? b/c if i remember right, he was supposed to get a ton the last 2 years...and its obvious he isnt going to ever play again...

6. englishron

englishron New Member

why don`t we trade coles for turner the chargers could do with a good wr

7. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Now I will admit its a small sample, but based on his stats, I think this is an unfair criticism. Here are his stats in each quarter during the past 2 years:

1st Quarter: 10-78 7.8 avg, long 25
    2nd Quarter: 16-81 5.1 avg, long 22
    3rd Quarter: 19-97 5.1 avg, long 21
    4th Quarter: 35-246 7.0 avg, long 73

1st Quarter: 2-21 10.5 avg, long 15
    2nd Quarter: 12-54 4.5 avg, long 9
    3rd Quarter: 11-81 7.4 avg, long 18
    4th Quarter: 32-179 5.6 avg, long 83

8. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Wow...good counter to anyone saying he isn't effective during the course of the game.

I think 90% of us want the same thing, which is Turner for a 2nd. Will it be that easy...probably not. We might very well need to put a player in the deal or package the 2nd rounder with a lower draft pick. The guy looks very much worth it though, and it never ceases to amaze me how low he was drafted out of college to begin with.

That being said, SD has plenty of room to give him the highest tender and keep him around for one more year for insurance to make sure the SD run game stays dominant. For all this speculation about us wanting Turner, we have no clue about SD intentions, and even if he does go on the trading block, the chargers GM seems to be quite hard to bargain with. Our late 2nd will probably be to little, and we certainly won't use our 1st on him. Going to be another intersting off-season.

Still, getting him stills seems much more likely then landing lynch, so I hope we manage to iron out a deal. Him + Revamped Oline = a potent/balanced offensive

9. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Shott knows this kid, if he is the real deal, we will bring him in becuase everyone with half a brain knows, we put Chad with a feature back, he will be one of the top 5 QB's in the NFL stat wise anyhow. With no running game all of it fell on his shoulders and he forced a lot of passes becuase well he had no choice hence all the picks. But back on subject, the FO has already said their priority is getting a feature back so there will be some big name coming in, whether its Portis, Turner, or trading up in the draft.

10. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

by the way Turner is SD's no.1 back in the preseason and here are his stats:

Preseason 2006:
    vs. Green Bay: 9 att. for 43 yds, 1 TD (4.8 avg)
    vs Chicago: 6 att. for 55 yds (9.2 avg)
    vs Seattle: 8 att. for 53 yds, 2 TDs (6.6 avg)

Preseason 2005:
    vs Green Bay: 8 att. for 70 yds (8.8 avg)
    vs St. Louis: 8 att. for 67 yds, 1 TD (8.4 avg)
    vs Minnesota: 3 att. for 21 yds (7.0 avg)
    vs San Fran: 6 att. for 64 yds (10.7 avg)

you just cant ignore his production. this kid is a playmaker. and no, its not the offensive line. i mean sure they're good and all but you cant say enough about this kid. he's got a huge heart, he fights for every inch and breaks more tackles than any other rb i've seen in the nfl. plus he's a threat to score a TD or atleast make a bigrun everytime he gets a carry.

#50 DaBallhawk, Jan 10, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  11. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

and we could do with our top wr too. how does trading coles for turner, a truely untested player make any sense to you? im not being an asshole...i really want to know.

12. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

very nice post.

burner will be a very good back in the nfl. i hope its with the jets.

13. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Although Turner could end up being butter, I still think we're better served looking to the draft for a feature back. Reason being that a late first or early second round pick will not cost the jets as much financially as mikey turner would... that, and I'm not convinced that he's all that yet. I know his numbers are good, but hell, SD's offensive line is better than ours, isn't it?

14. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I love all the reason's why a running back is going to break down. Everyone in the Portis camp says that Turner isn't used to getting the ball 300 times a year so he's going to get hurt and everyone who doesn't want Portis says the guy has had too many carries and is bound to get hurt again. Am I the only one who this doesn't make sense to? I mean find me a running back who has become available ever who either didn't have alot of carries or had too many carries.

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

For once I agree with you.. :/

16. Coach K

Coach K New Member

REGARDLESS OF WHO WE HAVE AT RB. WE NEED BETTER RUN BLOCKING!!!!

drafting a rookie, or adding some mediocre vet wont get it done. and i have faith that leon can play a reggie bush role except be get a few more carries.

erither way like i said. beef up the OL

17. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I watched him play at Northern Illinois and I knew he was going to be good. I think he could be really good, if we can get our run blocking improved by little bit. And call him by his NIU nickname...the Burner!

I would like to trade Houston and maybe a 3rd rounder for him. I would trade the second second rounder by itself but no higher than that.

18. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Just curious, what does it mean when a player turns out to be butter? He's smooth? Melts in the heat of the spotlight? Gained too much weight?

19. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

im not too sure about turner. a) he's a restricted free agent and we might have to give a second or even first round pick for him. b)he was running behind ladanian tomlinson, so it's always tough to tell how good these running backs will be when they have to carry a much heavier load c) he might want a lamont jordan contract. I personally would rather draft a running back like lynch, irons or bush (trade up for peterson??? ha i wish)

20. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Plastic, please get rid of the avatar! If Chad is on the next Madden game, he's going to get hurt next season! this franchise has enough curses!