The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree that Saleh's job may not be as safe as most people think right now. I'm not saying he should be fired, but if they can find a legitimately good replacement, I can see them doing it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Notice how the entire team, & especially the O, kinda fell apart after the bye. Just around the same time all the division & QB juggling started. And by QB juggling I mean not only the starting QB, but all the QBs being moved around the rotation.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There is a difference between the situations you are describing and the one on the Jets. In these situations, let's take the SF one as an example, and Minny one was similar. Lance was going to be a starter. Purdy was then drafted as a developmental back up/3d string guy. This is very similar to what JD did with Sam and Morgan, and then Zach and Morgan (then replaced Morgan with another young developmental guy in White).

But now is not the same situation. Zach is not a starter going into the season. He IS that 3d string/back-up guy, precisely because he did not work out in first two years. But he is still 23, younger than some draftees this year, he is still worth a mid/late pick. So in effect he is like James Morgan now. Unless you get rid of him, we don't yet need another developmental guy. And it probably makes sense to keep him to see what the new OC will do.

To keep the scenario you are talking about now, while keeping Zach, which I think will happen, we would need to draft a 1st round QB, whom we expect to start maybe later in the year or next year. Say, trade up with Chicago or something and pick a top QB. Then he can be that starting type young QB, with Zach a developmental QB, which has low chance of success, but you give it a try. But we are not going to do that, because the roster is ready to win now, and JD most likely will sign a FA QB. Then it makes no sense to keep two roster spots with young development long shot projects. We already have one this year, and it is Zach. Unless the plan is to trade him.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeas, and this "juggling" didn't just happen out of the blue. Apparently MLF had been lobbying for it - including making his dissatisfaction openly known - at least since OTA/s and possibly since Zach's first days with the team. This ultimately led to the "Mike F'n White" t-shirts and the rest of the circus that Saleh finally had to address by benching Zach. However that did nothing to quell the dissension, or help Zach in his development, "reset" or no reset".

In short, the circus turned into a full blown shit show and likely led to their total collapse on offense down the stretch. For that, LaFleur had to go, and if the Jets had/have a better HC option would mean Saleh too.

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem with this scenario is that it takes intensive effort by an organization to develop a young QB who is not NFL ready. 95% of those guys are never going to hit the mark that the organization requires for the effort to be seen as a success.

The logical way to approach the rehabilitation effort is to put very little in the way of resources into the young QB until he either forces his way into the conversation or goes away. There's almost nothing the Jets can do to salvage Zach Wilson at this point. It's up to him to salvage himself and force them to look at him again. The way to do that is to do a rigorous self-assessment of what is not working and go get help outside the organization to fix it. Then come back into the OTA's and eventually camp and perform so well that they cannot ignore him. This effort requires extreme dedication and ultimately near perfection in performance because the organization is not focused on the young QB and mistakes will cause them to look away.

SOJAZ, HomeoftheJets and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No, Saleh is safe this year. We are interviewing for OC and will end up hiring one in the next two weeks. I don't see how an organization can get candidates in like this with HC interviewing, and then firing that HC without any new triggers. You may be right where Saleh was close to being fired, but he dodged the bullet. Now it's all about offensive coaching staff, then the roster enhancements, including QB.

7. Br4d

The team fell apart in the first Patriot's game. After winning several games they shouldn't have earlier the first Patriot game was an unforced loss against a team they should have beat.

Jets79 likes this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m not advocating for Jets to dump Wilson, I’m advocating for them to come up with a system that is more of a QB development system that doesn’t hold on to QBs just because they have an emotional attachment to the draft capital used on such player.

The formula has worked for other teams, just because you drafted a QB with a high draft pick, it should not stop you from drafting another young QB with potential.

Just because the Jets are trying to salvage Wilson doesn’t mean that another young QB shouldn’t benefit from those lessons as well. I don’t want to see Flacco, White or Streveler back on this team.

When you hit on the FQB then you can hold off on drafting QBs until your FQB is in the end of their career.

Let’s be honest, when we are using words and phrases like salvage and the organization thinks he can still be their long term QB, those are not good signs.

9. Red Menace

I understand what you are saying, but I don’t believe Wilson is a developmental QB anymore, there is only one reason he’s on roster, he can’t be cut. White, Wilson, Flacco and Streveler stink at this point.

The correct thing for JD to do at this point is to sign a quality veteran FA, keep Wilson as back up and let board fall to him in draft and draft another developmental QB.

We as fans know that it’s not a guarantee to draft a FQB with a top 5 pick so JD doesn’t have to trade up for anyone at this point.

The key is signing a quality veteran FA QB, if that does not happen, this team might be in trouble.

10. burf

burf Well-Known Member

And then they beat the Bills, the following week.
    After that, everything fell apart, starting with the 2nd Pats game... after which, the team fell into disarray.
    The team started the season as a unified team, but ended divided, distracted, confused & unfocused.
    I put that on the HC.

ColoradoContrails, SOJAZ and Br4d like this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The starting QB was a/THE reason we lost two games in a row. Are you suggesting rolling with Zach and ignoring the obvious signs plus the discourse in the locker room was the better move?

12. Br4d

The Quinnen Williams injury was the last straw. But yeah the offense had started to fall apart long before that point and no team can win in the absence of a solid effort on that side of the ball.

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And if Wilson does not improve? Who will play when the starter goes down? You can't just pick up a guy off the street and teach him your offense quickly. The way I see it, we need a veteran starter and another back-up, ideally Mike White, but if not, cheap vet who proved he can play. That person will compete with Zach for a back-up role.

What we know so far is that Zach , who is just 23, currently is not ready to be even a back-up. That can change during the off-season, OTAs, training camp, etc. That's the definition of a developmental guy. You don't rely on that guy to be your primary back-up in a must win season for FO and coach. If he proves he can be one, great, but right now we already have a developmental guy on the roster, and it is Zach. IMO there is no room for two.

14. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

trading a first round pick for Sean Payton would be continuing the SOJ narrative. Harbaugh is confirmed staying at UM

how is JD picking a QB bust at #2 and failing to turn around the O-Line anything other than his own fault? JD's had one awesome draft (this past one) and has had mediocre at best (when we thought that they were very good). Relying on Becton to start in of itself is a major black eye for JD.

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I guess so ..but until I see a big name signed to our QB “trio” I am hardly sanguine
    What OC is coming here?? What Vet QB is coming here?? FTMR what makes you think I will be happy when they eventually get fired ?? That’s another year of my life putting up with garbage till JS and Saleh get axed:/:/:/!!
    I will believe it when I see it ..jmho

16. NYJetsO12

Two weeks?? Imo that’s too soon . Let’s wait till championships are over and not jump the gun

Saleh should be replaced ..JD suxs too because he hired him and drafted Wilson but he might escape the year

Possibly RS gets fired mid season imo

it will be deja vu this time next year but hope is always floating in Jet Land

17. Red Menace

Injuries derailed the team, not JD, when they were 7-4 and playing for playoffs were you anti JD?

What GM has had a perfect record of drafting FQBs? They took a chance and it didn’t work, team still has talented players. Sign a quality veteran QB to help team win until he finds a FQB in draft.

Becton told them he was ready to play and was playing well in training camp until he got hurt.

I wanted JD to draft a LT in last years draft as I did not trust Bectons health, but I’m not the GM and I don’t have the financial restraints that a top draft pick puts me under.

What should be done about Becton going into next year? He says he’s healthy again, I honestly don’t know the cap hit if he is cut.

I honestly would like to hear your solution to Becton and the QB situation.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  18. Red Menace

The Niners just did it with Purdy, how can you post that it can’t be done? If the offensive system is sound and the coaching is sound, playmakers are healthy it can be done if the young developmental QB has the basic ability to just do his part.

That is something that none of the Jets QBs have at this point.

papapump likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

I don’t agree on getting s Payton or a good coach like harbaugh Otherwise good post

20. NYJetsO12

Too funny Brock Purdy is playing better than our row of hasbeens and busts
    TBH you are trying to compare SF and the Jets?? That’s a joke isn’t it??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.