The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sorry ..LA

But you are assuming JD fulfills promises and makes good decisions ...yes I like to hope too ..lmao

There is NO REAL evidence of great decisions>>>thats why we are in this position of need QB OL etc Etc

2. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson is pretty mobile...Can Greg Develop him like he did the others?

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Dabol was going to Giants the moment he was asked to interview, It was a done deal, no one was getting Daboll but Giants.

Pederson wasn’t looked at by anyone after he was fired from The Eagles, and I agree Jets should have looked at him for HC position.

The QB issue is a common one in the NFL, it’s not like Jets are only team to have a bust QB picked in top 10.

Look at what the Niners did, drafted Trey Lance with a high pick and Purdy with a low pick.

The Commanders did it with RG 3 and Kirk Cousins, the Cowboys had Romo but still drafted Prescott, even the Patriots years ago, had Drew Bledsoe but still drafted a developmental QB Brady.

This should be what Joe does this year, draft a developmental QB.

I believe JD will fix the offense this off-season, or will make an attempt to do it correctly. However if Jets bring back Flacco, or White and don’t draft a developmental QB, and offense is garbage again, then I have no problem scrapping it all.

They simply can’t bring back this trio of QBs and expect different results.

4. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I read that Roman's thing is the run game. RBs and TEs love his system; WRs hate it. That's why their WR corps is never good. (don't know if that's true but that's what I read)

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You and others make a good point about mobility. Perhaps if Carr is the primary target, Greg Olson may be better. He is proven to get the best out of Carr and also has a solid resume. I would sign up for that. With Roman it is probably going to be run heavy attack, but QB would still get 3000-3500 passing yards. It will not be a 4000+ yards passing offense. But guys like GW will still thrive (Roman had no weapons in Baltimore) and Breece would have an amazing season if he can stay healthy. So, I am OK with Carr+Olson combo. If not Carr, we are probably looking at an inferior QB option, and run game would be an absolute must, where Greg Roman is the king.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We could have gotten Daboll the year before the Giants did. He accepted interview with the Jets and wanted to be a HC for the Jets, but Jets went with Saleh. I think part of it was that Daboll was still playing, and they ended up losing a week after the Jets hired Saleh. In retrospect JD should have waited and he would have had Daboll. Giants were not in the picture then, but I think JD didn't want to wait for Daboll because other good candidates would have been gone, and we somehow didn't get Daboll we would strike out on all good ones. It was a risk, but I think the one worth taking.

As far as project QB, JD did that. Drafted Morgan. Got White off of waivers not too long after White got drafted. Now - Zach is basically that guy, a developmental QB - the equivalent of that late round pick. For all his faults, he still has a chance to develop as much as some late round QB selection. The chance is small, but it's not large for anyone we would draft with that pick either. We can certainly draft another one if we trade Zach, but more likely see if new OC can do something there, and next year who knows. We may need to trade up to get a top QB and/or draft a late round one. We are not there yet though.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Jets bring in Roman they probably should draft a couple of OL, at least one RB and TE. I might even go very heavy on that side of the ball and make the entire draft about fixing the line and running game with maybe a mid-rounds pick for a safety or LB if somebody good dropped. Trading down the #13 would probably be the way to kickstart that effort.

NYJetsO12, PJ4Ever and sozopol like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Their WR corps are not good, because they don't invest in them. One decent guy they had they traded away last year. Roman is known primarily for rushing attack, but his QBs average about 200-210 passing ypg and low INT rate. To be fair though, he never had great passing QBs. Alex Smith later in his career passed for more, but sucked before Greg got him. In Baltimore Jackson also wasn't really known as a great passer out of College. Plus no weapons. So, is it Greg or is it the situations he has been in?

But that is a knock on Greg - he never had a great passing attack. A perfect candidate will not be available. If we had Trevor Lawrence or Herbert, who needed to take a next step as a passer, maybe Greg would not be a good option. But Greg made a living from having QBs, which are not highly rated, and making them look good with balanced rushing attack. That may be what we need at this point - unless we can get Carr. Then honestly I am not sure, but given Greg's experience and success he may be able to adjust the scheme also.

sozopol and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Sorry but I disagree. JD has done far more than any other GM here in the last 20 years, and he has not mortgaged the future to do so. . Even the OL, marred by injury after injury was still salvageable. He is far from perfect and the job is not done but this team for the first time in a long while has some real talent in key areas. Yes, QB is a big unknown, but he has done plenty in the last two years to warrant my support.

burf and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. Red Menace

Thanks for refresher on Daboll, I didn’t remember if he was available or not during that period, I do remember I wanted Arthur Smith over Saleh.

I remember the Morgan selection, it doesn’t mean you don’t draft another one. White and Flacco are not the answer, it’s ok to move on from them.

Wilson will probably get the backup job if Jets get Carr.

JD should do what San Francisco did with Trey Lance and Brock Purdy. Just because you drafted a QB (Wilson) with a high draft pick doesn’t mean it’s sink or swim.

JD should not move up in the draft, but let the board fall to him and if there is another developmental QB that falls to later rounds JD should draft him. If Wilson pans out fine, if he doesn’t, move on and let the cycle continue until you hit on FQB or tier 2 QB.

All teams should be in the developmental QB program until they hit on the tier 2 QB or FQB.

I can’t recall any QB that has been as bad as Wilson all of a sudden explode into FQB mode in year 3, most of the time you will have your answer in year 2.

In my opinion Jets are definitely there with their QB situation.

11. NYJetsO12

I liked your Post ..you seem to be objectively talking about the right things plus you are an old fan
    But how in the world are u so sure JD fixes everything..I have absolutely no faith in his BS
    Remember how JD assured Sam Darnolds parents our OL would protect him??? How did that work out??
    I respect your opinion but he’s a liar

Red Menace likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  13. NYJetsO12

I liked your post because I am ready to give JD a little credit..
    BUt JD has been here at least 3 years and we have just meh progress
    OTOH the Ford Heiress lady in Detroit has turned that franchise around in just 2 fuckin years
    Again a very low average GM looks like a genius for very small steps!

SOJAZ and LAJet like this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No QB and OL still unsettled after 3 seasons in full control is kind of eye-opening. No team can progress in that situation.

I think Douglas has done less with more than any other recent GM. This is because he had assets from the last regime that he disposed of to pad his assets. Despite getting 2 1st round picks for Jamal Adams and 2nd and 6th for Sam Darnold and several picks for Leonard Williams he's still short on building the OL and finding a QB.

Basically he traded most of the recent 1st round picks from the previous regime for value and then squandered the value by not building out the areas of the team that *had* to be built before any success could occur.

#454 Br4d, Jan 20, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    SOJAZ likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Santonio Holmes has a different take on the matter.

[​IMG]

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think he will be a great fit. If we are able to get him and Carr on a two year deal (plus another non guiaranteed), I believe we will end up with a very exciting season next year and have a good chance to make play-offs. Olson may even help Zach too.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I finally read that whole Roseblatt article. The only real thing I got from it, was the O was even more of a mess than I thought... all the division among players, between coaches & players, etc.
    And Saleh basically did nothing, & probably was ready to keep MLF for another go, next season, if not for pressure from fans, some in the media, & organization.
    My fantasy is that Woody read the article, & realized the so-called 'culture change' Saleh preached, is more the SOJ on steroids. And is, at this very moment, negotiating with Payton or Harbaugh, to finally bring some credibility to this sorry organization.

(If anyone hasn't read the article, because it's behind a paywall, a trick to read it, is to go to the article, then immediately switch your web browser into "reader mode.")
    https://theathletic.com/4091050/2023/01/19/jets-offense-zach-wilson-robert-saleh-mike-lafleur/

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

At this point I don't think anyone - including Woody, JD, and Saleh - expects Zach to blossom suddenly into their FQB next year. That might be the hope, but by acknowledging that they're going to be looking for other QB options they're admitting that Zach may not be the answer, next year or ever.

That said, they haven't given up on the possibility that he could blossom, either sometime next year (unlikely) or a year or two down the road. And the reason they don't have a better idea of this now is because they fucked up Zach's development. It isn't like the Jets have a great track record in developing QBs - they've really never succeeded at it, with the possible exception of Pennington who was hurt so much he never really reached his full potential, and maybe Ken O'Brien who did well enough but could never escape the baggage of not being Marino. So to assert that Wilson simply can't succeed because no other QBs have succeeded after 2 poor seasons, doesn't mean it can't happen now, as long as the Jets realize the mistakes they've made so far with him and work to correct them. That doesn't mean if they do that he will succeed, but at least they'll know they did everything they could to make it happen, something they have not done perhaps ever.

For decades, the Jets have placed offense in the back seat behind defense, and not invested as they should've. It's arguably easier to build a great "D" than a great "O", but the problem is that to win a SB you need both, and in today's NFL you probably need a great offense more than a great defense. In any case, up until Douglas the Jets didn't invest nearly as much on offense, and they employed a "churn and burn" approach with QBs: get one, if he doesn't seem to work out despite the lack of a supporting cast, dump him and try again, rinse, repeat, ad nauseum. They appear to be trying to break that cycle now. Maybe they chose the wrong QB to do it with in Wilson, but Douglas has shown a good eye for talent, despite having misses, and he knew full well how critical that decision in 2021 was, so we can assume that he put exhaustive analysis into it. Deciding to go with Zach over the other options wasn't a choice made lightly, he - and all of the Jets personnel people, including Saleh and MLF - were in agreement that he was the best option. If they dump Wilson now they'll be reverting to the SOJ "churn and burn" method of finding a QB and that hasn't ever worked for them.

All of this is to say that I don't think they're going to quit on Zach, and that they still think he can become their FQB of the future. By saying that they're not tied to any particular scheme is an admission that they tried to "fit a square peg into a round hole" with LaFleur and his interpretation of the WCO. So it seems Zach's development is still their long term goal. In the shorter term they're probably going to look to get a QB who can potentially take them to the SB now. That enables the pressure to be taken off Zach and their investment in him, and to still get success.

Borat and Red Menace like this.
  19. Red Menace

I respect you as well, and If you know my history you know I have been on the fire everyone bandwagon very quickly in the past.

However, based on the drafts the Jets have had under JD and the players that were brought in, I think the problem is coaching in particular the offensive side.

The oline was rocked by injuries again, I’m not making excuses, it’s a fact, that being said, when a team has a 7-4 record, they are obviously doing something right.

It’s not JDs fault that Saleh couldn’t limp team into playoffs. 3 wins is all they needed and they could have done it but for a reason that none of us will know, they did not.

We can look at the QB play and say it was Wilson, but White and Flacco couldn’t do it either. That’s why I said if they bring back this trio of QBs then it shows they are not learning from mistakes.

Look at the bright side, if things go bad next year, they are all fired and you will be happy, if things work out, you will also be happy.

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

How is Saleh catching blame here? Two of the biggest issues that were "dividing" the locker room, he took care of and handled almost perfectly. Benched Zach when the locker room started to get frustrated with his struggles (the correct move) and had Elijah Moore pout at home while also supporting him publicly (the correct move). If you want to get on Saleh for nepotism regarding MLF and wanting to keep him around, that's fair, but you certainly can't get on him for the way he handled things in-season.

Borat and SOJAZ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.