The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Hackett as an OC might work. He's not my first choice, but he did have success in GB under Matt LaFleur, so that means he has experience in a similar offense to what the Jets have been running for the past two years. While they say they're not tied to any particular scheme, it makes sense that they would lean towards having fewer changes than more if they can. He was also the QB Coach with the Packers so there's that.

Borat likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Figure out the QB first and then sell him to the OC’s you are interviewing.

The Jets OC job is going to look a lot better in a month when the Jets have a real QB in the house.

rockyusmc2003 and PulseJet like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Why are you acting like we didn’t just see horrendous? I get it. We had a lot of problems. MLF isn’t the only problem. But when you can’t find a way to fucking muster up ONE touchdown in four games, that’s coaching.

KY Jets Fan, Borat, themorey and 2 others like this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

There are things MLF could've done better but It wasn't just "coaching". Far from It.

Again though. Doesn't matter. Dude Is gone.

Now I can't wait to see the better offense we will have next season because we got rid of a horrendous problem for this team. Looking forward to being wrong!

5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Hackett + Rodgers is something I can get behind

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've been pretty checked out for about 6 weeks now. It just feels like this team can't do anything but have brief periods that approach competence before inevitably collapsing in the same predictable ways.

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This list I’m seeing is way less than impressive…honestly there is not one name on there that looks promising or exciting.

a few newbies who’ve never done it before so it’s not unfair to expect growing pains similar to what we’ve just gone through, and a couple more experienced guys who have not done great at other places…Bevell? Please…I’m glad he declined (though I’m confused at the reporting…some say we were talking to him others say he declined so which is it?)…Hackett? Fuck him he’s been terrible and he didn’t call plays at GB anyway, and couldn’t get it done with one of the best QBs all time…plus I will always hate Paul fucking Hackett, who’s tag line excuse was always…”well it takes a couple years to really understand my offense”…fuck you….why should it take two years to understand Curtis Martin draw on all those 3rd and 9s we were always in. I want no part of any fucking Hackett EVER.

This list looks worse to me than MLF

typical Jets clown show so far

I hope they somehow miraculously get it right (and if we do improve I’m guessing it’ll be more because we bring in a decent QB and fix the OL rather than a new OC getting it right)…but so far it’s not looking promising at all…is anyone REALLY excited about this list?

maybe it’s more of a feeling like I have with Zach….literally ANY QB we may bring in will be a HUGE upgrade over the shit we got from Zach…literally the 16th rated QB would be WORLDS better than Zach…so I guess there’s that….maybe that’s the same feeling with the OC…because not scoring a TD in three straight games is pathetic, but we had bad QB play with an injured White and Flacco and no OL…

#347 Jets79, Jan 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

[Insert OC name] + Rodgers is something I could also get behind!

KingRoach likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Hackett is a complete joke. That would be a disgusting hire

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Nathaniel Hackett = Adam Gase

Jets79 and BrowningNagle like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

I think it’s even worse than that. Hackett has sucked everywhere he has been and only got his start in this league because of his dad

HomeoftheJets and Jets79 like this.
  12. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

Have they reached out to Kubiak for that possibility?

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This was my original concern but they're casting a wide net so far and I think the only person with any ties to Saleh was Bevell and he's out now.

I wouldn't totally rule out us going with a Brian Johnson, Joe Brady, etc. kinda guy as OC and then bring in an experienced offensive-mind like Bill Callahan and have him be a hybrid offensive assistant/OL coach to assist the young play caller in gameplans, schemes, etc.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Nathaniel Hackett may not be a choice Jet fans want but to make a blanket statement that he has sucked everywhere he’s gone is also not true.

He was the OC for the Jaguars when they had Bortles and Fournette and went to AFC Championship game.

He did a great job with Bills rushing game with CJ spiller and Fred Jackson.

Both times he was OC under Doug Marrone.

I’m not advocating for Hackett but he has had success as OC compared to MLF.

KingRoach and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Have you guys seen the list of candidates for the New England OC position? I wonder if their fanbase is freaking out.

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Why do people insist on bringing up MLF?

We averaged 18.2 and 17.4 points per game over the last 2 years, good for 28th and 29th in the league. I get he didn't have the perfect situation but this is the NFL, no one's got a perfect situation. Guy's get hurt, them's the breaks. You guys can point to excuses until you're blue in the face but it's not going to change the fact that our offense was at the bottom of the league while MLF was in charge.

Here's a fun exercise, I'm going to give you guys a list of teams that finished with more PPG than us this year that IMO have worse players than us on the offensive side of the ball.

Tennessee (17.5)
    Pittsburgh (18.1)
    Washington (18.9)
    Chicago (19.2)
    Carolina (20.4)
    New England (21.4)
    Atlanta (21.5)

There's probably a few more that could be debatable but those are the ones that I think are gimmes. Feel free to debate this with me if you want or go here to see the full list of PPG leaders for 2022.

Some of you really want to continue to defend MLF when he couldn't outscore Carolina? Who had a revolving door of Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, and PJ Walker playing QB? Carolina, who only got 6 games out of CMC and had DJ Moore as their only legit receiving threat?

Or Atlanta, couldn't outscore Marcus Mariota and Desmond Ridder? Atlanta, who made Tyler Allgeier a 1K RB and basically just had Drake London and Kyle Pitts as receiving threats?

I was on record as saying I was fine either way on MLF. I do think he's got potential and that's why you're seeing his name pop up for other OC gigs now but he just wasn't getting it done here. I understand the logic behind firing the OC whose best finish in 2 years from a PPG standpoint is 28th. Clinging to this idea that because they let go an OC who was horrendous at his job and then pointing to a preliminary OC interview list means that "the clown show is back in town" or "here comes the incompetence again" doesn't make any sense to me. This is what competent franchises do. If a coordinator isn't working out, you let him go and find another one that meshes well with your organization's philosophies.

Can we all just holster the pitchforks for now? At least until they hire the new OC?

#356 KY Jets Fan, Jan 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  17. BrowningNagle

Hackett was terrible in Buffalo. I'd rather have Marrone, you made a good case for him

18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Spot on. Almost all of the people that are wringing their hands over the list of candidates are the ones that wanted MLF gone. Who did they expect them to get as OC? Frank Reich? Sean Payton? I mean, come on.

Borat and KY Jets Fan like this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Kubiak isn't coming here until he has a starting QB to coach.

This is absolutely fundamental to understanding the rut the Jets are in right now. Nobody worthwhile is going to come here while the only options they see are Zach Wilson and Mike White.

In order for the Jets to have a hope of attracting real talent at OC they're going to have to have real talent at QB. Lamar Jackson isn't going to do it because rightly or wrongly he is seen as a running QB first. Most OC's aren't interested in coaching a guy who will be running the ball as a big part of the show, particularly if he has an injury history as Lamar Jackson does. Gardner Minshew isn't going to get it done because rightly or wrongly he is seen as a backup QB who is good when called upon. Not that OC's wouldn't want him as a backup but nobody is going to stake their job on him as the starting QB.

Right now the Jets should be focused on getting Derek Carr to come here after the Raiders cut him. If they can get him very cheap in a trade - maybe a 5th round pick - then it's worth thinking about a trade. Barring that the Jets should be looking at getting a high potential QB who just hasn't completely put it together anywhere else. Jameis Winston, Baker Mayfield, Carson Wentz, somebody with proven play skills at the NFL level and a high ceiling.

Wentz might have caused a bit of churn in your stomach when I mentioned him. A couple of late season collapses and some past issues with accepting coaching have really damaged his brand.

The name I would bring up in response is Vinny Testaverde, a guy who was widely seen as a bust and who went to Baltimore and rehabbed his reputation some under Belichik and Marchibroda. He was still available as a UFA for the Jets in 1998 and Parcells took him and completed the transformation. Tons of talent there but never quite put it together until late in his career.

Wentz is the same way right now. All the talent in the world and lots of things he doesn't get just right. He could definitely put it together if the right coaching and team materialized for him. The last two stops were in two of the most owner-dominated organizations in football. Put him in the right spot and he has some real chances and right now he will be cheap.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I also highly doubt this will be the full list of candidates.

I think this list will continue to grow over the next few weeks as playoff teams get eliminated.

NYJetsO12, Borat and bicketybam like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.