Let's discuss Michael Turner

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 9, 2007.

1. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

irons aint that good.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

i like it

turner has got my interest

3. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

It's just so much to think about, so early on, but I'll give it a shot.

First and foremost, I think we should worry more about drafting/signing/trading for more Defensive players. Maybe improve the O-Line a tad bit. It was great this season, with 2 Rookies on the line, and the O-Line is the key to a good running game. The Jets should get some new OLBs, some new ends. (Like I said, it's just so early in the off-season, and my brain isn't looking at improvements that need to be made just yet. It's just getting through that the season is over).

After the O-Line improvements are done, then I think it is the appropriate time to start looking for a RB. Michael Turner would be a good choice. He has the right size, has the speed too. Bringing Turner over would be great also considering that we have B-Schott as the Offensive Coordinator and knows what Turner can bring to the table. There are negatives though.

Forget about a kid by the name of Leon Washington? He may be tiny, but if you think about it he is only 2 inches smaller than Turner. Sure, I know the 2 inch difference makes a very slight difference (In this case it is about power/speed/etc). Leon, not even supposed to start this season, made an impact. Some may say he isn't the future RB of this team, some say he may be. I'm not too certain. Maybe if Leon gets bigger over the off-season. We already know he has the quickness. There is also a man known as Cedric Houston. I would have considered him the future back of this franchise, but Leon came in to replace him when he went down with the injury he had for a few weeks, but when he came back he really didn't do much like we hoped he was going to do. I accept Cedric back next season, but not in the starting role. I think it is also safe to say that Blaylock and Barlow will not be back next season.

With all of this being said, I think Turner would be a good signing, as long as he has the O-Line to protect him. Remember, it technically may be labeled OFFENSIVE- LINE, but all of those guys are DEFENDING the QB and the RB (and sometimes FB), and we all know how the saying goes. DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

I didn't even expect to write this much, considering my mind isn't fully into the off-season. But I did, and hope you enjoy what I wrote.

Edit: I edited my post up a bit so it makes more sense (fixed Foot difference to Inch difference, and even added some more insight) PennyandtheJets and Nesquik noted my mistakes, and I thank them for that so I don't look like an idiot :lol:

#23 macbk, Jan 9, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  4. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Very nice post other than...

"He may be tiny, but if you think about it he is only 2 ft smaller than Turner. Sure, I know the 2 feet difference makes a big difference."

lol...if leon is 2 feet shorter than turner he is a bonafide midget

6. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

You said Turner was 5'10" and 237 LBs, correct? Leon is 5'8" and 202 LBs. Like I said in the post, the 2 Inch difference does make a difference in their performances (I guess a very slight difference in performance. In this case, it is more about size and power and speed). However, look what Leon did this season for the time he played, and he is 5'8", which is small for a RB. 5'10" isn't much of a difference, but it would show if you compare the two players. It's not that I'm trying to or anything, but it's like I am on Turners side, because I'm saying if Leon is 5'8" and weighing in at only 202 LBs and he can do what he did this season, imagine what Turner can do if he were to get a starting job?

Edit: I edited my post up a bit so it makes more sense (fixed Foot difference to Inch difference, and even added some more insight).

#26 macbk, Jan 9, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  7. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I think u mean inches though rather than feet

8. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Yeah you are right :lol: Mistake on my part.

Now I get what PennyandtheJets was saying.

I'm editing my original post so it makes more sense for other readers.

9. illmatic

illmatic New Member

My biggest issue with Turner is as I stated in a previous post. He is as known or unknown as a feature back as any rookie, but he'll cost more. For the risk and the cost I'd rather roll the dice on a rookie who's 3 - 4 years younger...Also do we know anything about his ability to block...its quite important

10. Nesquik

Im alright with the Turner trade now,before i was reluctant but scouts know more than me and if they say he can be a big-time player in this league why not.But instead of the first 2nd rounder id rather it be be the 2nd and a 3rd.We need to get amobi okeye and lamarr woodley this year.

11. illmatic

illmatic New Member

2 picks is too clostly considering we can find a back in the draft for less money

12. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Our 2nd 2nd round pick alone should be enough to get Turner. The pick we got from Washington is basically a 1st and that's too much for a back up RB no matter how good he can be. So, a 2nd round pick (the 25th in the round) should be more than enough

13. Nesquik

Hopefully so

14. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

I completely agree, and am not even sure he's not worth a 1st rder. I've loved what I've seen out of him in the chances hes had. If Mangini, and Shottenheimer(who should know better than any of us) think hes worth giving up a high pick for, then Im going to go ahead and trust their judgement.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They won't accept anything else but top value. What do they need our second round pick for? They're not a team that is deathly in need for depth.

I think for the Chargers its, a first or nothing. They don't need to trade him. It's not like they even need to give him a big contract, and if they did, they can handle it.

16. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

turner hasnt done nothing to warrent a 1st.. u dont get traded for 1st based on potential.

17. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

I think its unlikely the Chargers would sign him to a multi year deal, and even more unlikely Turner would want one from the Chargers knowing he will be a UFA in 08. It will come down to dealing with the Chargers and how much they want for him. It will be interesting to see how much the Jets and Chargers think hes worth. We will all definitely be hearing more about M.Turner during the Jets off season

18. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

your injury argument is HORRIBLE. So Lamont Jordan is traded, gets hurt in year two, and that means the same thing will happen to Turner????? You are trying to be knowledgable, but you are over analyzing the hell out of this one. Any back in the pros for 2-3 years is just as, if not more prepared to take a full load than any rookie in the draft. Not to mention, with our offense, no back we get will see a load like Martin had with us-- Mangini will still spread the ball even if we do land a feature back. Turner for a 2nd round pick would be a steal even at lamont Jordan Money. He's good.

19. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

Another bad argument-- if they sign him to the highest tender, and pass on an offer, do you know how much they will have to pay him? Combine that with LT and they will have 20% of their cap space tied up in their runningbacks.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Chargers had no problem holding two quarterbacks making nearly twenty million dollars in Brees' final year in San Diego.

I don't really see where you get off telling me I'm not knowledgeable, when you've yet to give a valid point to go against my arguments. Most runningbacks who sit for two long will break down because they're not used to the beating. I can tell you've never played football, or very limited, or else you'd know the beating a football player, more importantly a runningbacks takes over a season. Runningbacks are more prone to break down at the end of the season because they've never carried the full load.

Look at Chester Taylor, LaMont Jordan, Tiki Barber (often injured early on), Thomas Jones his first two years. These backs are going to be abused in their first year starting, especially since they're not used to it. People make the argument about them being fresh, but the biggest part is not going to be that they have nagging injuries. The biggest part is that they won't have the fresh legs which is key down the stretch in a playoff run and they won't be able to kick it into second gear without being sidelined for a couple plays. I use LaMont as an example, because he's the most known to us.

Add in Edgerrin James who after coming back from an injury, and essentially a year off, had nagging injuries in the better part of his next two seasons.