The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Burrow was sacked more times per game than Wilson.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Actually I didn't compare Zach's first 2 years to Jones, except in a relative way. Many Giants fans were ready to toss Jones aside, as are many Jets fans, and now those Giants fans are ready to vote Jones into the HOF - fortunes can change with the right ingredients. Of course sometimes they don't. Maybe Zach is actually a bust, but despite all the "experts" here claiming he is, I'll go with my own gut belief that he isn't, backed up by the fact that much more knowledgeable people than me - Douglas, et. al. - believe he still has potential.

Historically it has taken more than 22 games for someone to prove whether they can play QB in the NFL.

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Where did you hear Steve Young endorse/approve Bevell? Can you provide some link?

bicketybam likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Giants fans were spoiled from having Eli all those years, so they saw a young QB going through normal struggles on a bad team and wanted him gone. That's very different from Jets fans who have had such bad QB play for so long that we Stockholm ourselves into thinking every young QB is the answer no matter how bad he is. And historically, the only QB who has been as bad as Zach through 22 games and became anything better than a permanent backup is Alex Smith (Geno despite his struggles was better than Zach). So if the best case is a less durable Derek Carr and the worst case is countless busts, it really is time to move on. Keep Zach on the roster if you want in case somehow there's a miracle, but the team's plans, from the OC hire to the free agent/trade markets, should proceed as if Zach isn't here.

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You say that Douglas and others believe that Wilson isn't actually a bust. You call that a fact, but it's no more than an assumption on your part to justify your confidence (misplaced or not) in him over the last two years. None of us knows what Douglas, Saleh, or anyone else actually believe regarding Wilson but my viewpoint is that every word spoken publicly on the subject is more optimistic than the actual state of affairs.

SOJAZ and Since1969 like this.
  6. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

the new oc will be calling plays for the new starting vet qb. not developing zack wilson, zack wilson isnt even a caliber backup and is one of the biggest draft busts. everyone needs to just stop bringing him up and move on. they could be ok with the mistake

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It could be the 2 Eagles guys at a package deal now. One as OC and the other as QB coach - Passing game coordinator. Also talk of adding Manish Mehta's old friend Doug Marrone as OL coach - Running game coordinator

Ralebird likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That crew would be better than the amateurs we had calling shots here in '22.

SOJAZ and Red Menace like this.
  9. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

10. cmcm750203

Ugh Marrone is such a woody choice for a replacement though. If things go sideways I can easily see him pressuring JD to make a move to Marrone mid season.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

His name is Nick Caley and if he becomes the hire it will be a solid indicator that they will sign Jimmy G as Caley coached him in college and at New England

I dont think Caley is all that bad of a choice, smart dude with multiple degrees that has worked his way up and learned from the best

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He's also the only coach that BB didn't let Josh take to Vegas. He blocked it.

13. BrowningNagle

Interesting...

14. cmcm750203

I’d be all for it if we didn’t just have a guy with zero play calling experience fail disastrously.

15. NYsportsfan1962

Chargers just fired their OC Lombardi. They have a pretty good situation there with a top line QB. Perhaps that moves us down a notch in our search for an OC as the most desired place.

Borat likes this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The offense went to sleep in the 2nd half. Was it the HC or the OC that fckd up..??

cmcm750203 likes this.
  17. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

The HC seems like the issue to me his decision making and he’s the guy overseeing things. Every time I watch them he looks like he is lost

cmcm750203 likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, my 2023 plan was to get a life and less jets in the off season.. So for they first post of the year forgive me if I'm a little critical including the fan base. Am I happy with the results this season ….no, not at all, we were better than that, but the future is not dark and sad as some seem to think.
    I must admit I'm disappointed as to the amount of negativity on this forum regarding the search for a new Offensive coaching staff. Seems like each and every name mentioned so far is faced with massive negativity. As if we are already forecasting an unhappy ending. And we are far from over the interview process.
    Ill be the first to admit it, over half of them I have zero in depth knowledge on their background and capabilities, but I'm encouraged that at least they chose to make some changes to strengthen the CS depth in the offensive side of the ball. Zach or no Zach too many red flags to ignore. IMO This is not just a reflection of the struggles in 2023 but also critical of the early development of complete lack thereof for Zach, Mims, Carter and others. I said it many times before, but I strongly disagree with the notion that when you draft a QB so high in the first round you need to play him come hell or hi water. That set the stage for a bad bad message. Best players do not get to play. Couple that with a carousel at OL yet retaining the same play calling and the writing was on the wall. I also think that while MLF took the rap, the blame was far from just him. Saleh is on the clock and JD will have to watch the next CS selection like a hawk, or he might be evaluated under the same light.
    This selection is about as critical as you can get, and reflects a basic flaw on the last coaching selection. You need experience along with youth to be successful. Particularly when you have a team overflowing with youth. As smart as MLF is, he did not have enough depth and experience to institute a new system and develop an inexperienced and far from ready QB. Time to rectify that.
    Here are the things I look for in their resume as most critical for the selection
    1- Demonstrated experience in the development and growth of a young QB and young offensive players. Yes like it or not Zach will be here and expected to warm up the bench and complete development and compete in 2023
    2- Ability to capture coaching talent with a mix of experience and innovation
    3- Demonstrated flexibility to develop a playbook that maximizes personnel talent
    3- Motivator above all. Gets the absolute best out of players to play smart, tough football.
    Remember when few here were bitching we don't want a has been ex coach. I think history is not showing that to be right.
    Hope we get the OC right. Or next year is another start from scratch much to our chagrin.

SOJAZ, Jets79, burf and 2 others like this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Just heard the Jets might talk to OC Monken of Georgia. Could be interesting has NFL experience and runs the high powered Georgia offense. I also wouldn't mind Joe Brady. Just hope the Jets finally get it right.

SOJAZ likes this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The last Jets offensive coordinator to last more than two seasons was Brian Schottenheimer, all the way back during the Ruthian days of Rex.

This is part of the problem, plus all those years of drafting defensive players at the top of the draft every year.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.