The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Or maybe succeed?
    I don't know, man, but I was not a Zach guy. My opinion has changed, not so much about Zach, but moreso, what I've seen about how they handled him. His regression, just this season, is such a key red-flag to me.
    What happened with Elijah Moore, even Mims, was another red-flag.
    So, since Zach will likely be on the team next season, and he's just 23, I wanna see if a quality coach can mold him into a functional NFL QB?
    Back to my main point... is was really enjoyable to watch a team (the Giants) I usually ignore, on offense today.
    I saw a team elevated by their CS, & a QB, everyone was ready to give up on, who's 'suddenly' upped his game, after that CS got hold of him.
    I want me some of that!

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. burf

burf Well-Known Member

What I don't get, is why you would quote my post, & judging by your response, you didn't read it.
    Those excuses are in your mind, they certainly didn't come from the post you quoted.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Daboll was in the league longer and therefore had more experienced connections

besides, it’s a little unfair because Saleh DID hire an experienced career offensive coordinator, the guy just tragically died

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

fair enough…maybe it’s not you who’s been making these excuses…so if I got that wrong then I apologize

didn’t really mean to single you out…but just in general there are too many excuses being made about how we mishandled Zach and like it’s all MLfs fault and I just think at some point Zach needs to be able to hit more than 54% of his passes. In 1970 that would’ve been a good ratio…in 2020 it blows chunks…like last in the league chunks

sorry if I responded inappropriately to your post

burf likes this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Neither. You get players who can play and you get the most adaptable coordinator you can find. His job is to not only create a game plan every week based on the players available and the opposing team but calling plays within his plan as the game progresses, constantly changing the approach as time goes bye, injuries occur and the score varies, always considering the clock. He also needs to know when his game plan in general needs to be changed.

Nobody said it should be easy.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Ralebird

Well, as long as we're waiting, why not forget all those things that went wrong and fill us in on all those positive things that Mike LaFleur accomplished while he was OC that we can look for in his replacement while we see what develops?

JetFanInNE and SOJAZ like this.
  7. Ralebird

Let's see what he does in the next five first.

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

In news that should surprise no one, looks like we're bringing in Bevell for an interview.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Uninspiring, yet an upgrade.

Cman68 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

It's gonna be Bevell

He is a Mormon and Steve Young approved for Zach Wilson

I think Bevell was the plan all along they just had to wait until the Dolphins were eliminated

11. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

of all the canidates, id be ok with bevell.

12. BrowningNagle

Just hope the next OC doesnt show Sack Wilson any "tough love" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

All due respect, you don't want to get it. You've made up your mind that he sucks, always did, always will. If that were true, why would Douglas - and all of their scouts and evaluators, not to mention many independent ones - have rated him so highly? If that were true, how could he have had some success even playing in an offense that was not built for his strengths? You continue to cherry pick some bad throws and misses and make it sound like he's Hackenberg II when in fact he's made throws of all types while on the Jets even if he has missed some as well. The point is, he's been erratic and those who still believe he can be good acknowledge that, while you refuse to acknowledge anything positive at all. And now it comes out that from the beginning LaFleur was trying to force a "square peg into a round hole" with Zach and wouldn't give an inch on that approach. IDK if Zach will succeed, but just seeing what happened with Daniel Jones and Lawrence when they got good coaching certainly has to open the possibility that it could happen for Zach too. And you'd better believe that Woody thinks that too.

burf likes this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

So not really true…I’ve acknowledged his athleticism is above average, I’ve acknowledged he has an above average arm, and I’ve also acknowledged he’s made some great throws and has flashed a few times. I’ve said that many times in various threads. The fourth quarter in Pitt was very good. The deep throw to Davis at GB to lead a TD drive was very good…I saw that one live in person at Lambeau.

he’s had flashes.

however, I don’t see how anyone who is objective can make a case that there hasn’t been WAY more bad than good. I’ve seen all the excuses from poor receivers and drops to poor OL to too many throwaways to now it’s all (or mostly) on MLF. ive read all the reasons why the stats don’t really show the “true picture” and the eye test does….and on and on. I’ve had enough excuses.

if this kid were on any other team we’d all be laughing at what a bust he has been. He’s literally been among the bottom rated QBs for both years now. We’ve seen him miss open guys repeatedly. We’ve seen him throw more picks than TDs. We’ve seen him average 170 yards per game. Like what more do we need to see?

I’d absolutely LOVE to be proven wrong about him. I’ve been following this team for decades….and I’ve seen exactly ONE division championship and that’s when there was a three way tie at 9-7 and we won the tiebreaker. I’ve seen a few AFC championship games. That’s it. I want to see a winner.

if a new OC comes in and somehow “fixes” Zach I’ll be first in line to admit I was wrong and I’ll be happy to do it. I’m not a hater at all….I love this team even though it’s given me very little to love over the years.

but the objective evidence is pretty clear and pretty damning. He’s an inaccurate QB who doesn’t see the field well and struggles to hit wide open receivers even when they are within 7 yards of him. There have been many QBs with great arms and physical traits….Jeff George comes to mind…who just couldn’t play the position at the NFL level.it is what it is.

you’re right…I don’t think he’s fixable because he can’t do basic QB things well….I don’t give a shit if he did them at BYU against shit competition. At the NFL level, he’s been worst in the league bad. Hard to come back from that.

again…if I’m wrong then I’ll be happy to admit it and I’ll give all the credit to Saleh and the new OC and to Zach himself….and you will have proven to be right…

time will tell

#254 Jets79, Jan 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    SOJAZ, KY Jets Fan and Ralebird like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Darrell Bevell is fine, but didn't he call the play for Russell Wilson to throw the ball instead of just running it with Marshawn Lynch for an easy TD and Super Bowl title? Doesn't get more inept than that. He will fit in nicely on the Jets staff.

16. BrowningNagle

yes that was Bevell

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

The key is good coaching... From stuff I read I am not sure, if they hire this guy Bevell, will be an upgrade over MLF... Now, I could be way off based because we just witnessed Skylar Tompson go toe to toe with Josh Allen. Not a fan but what do I know,,,,

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Comparing Zach's first two years to Daniel Jones's first two years is an insult to Jones. Jones wasn't even that bad. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneDa05.htm

SOJAZ, sozopol and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

20. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

Monken was the OC when they had fitz and he wore that glorious top gun outfit. I’m not sure he fits with Saleh, but would love the hire. Is he one to develop QBs? They need someone to develop either Zach or a new Rookie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.