Mike LaFleur out as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bicketybam, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I was just trying to bring some levity to the situation. It's not worth getting this worked up over

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hmmmm.... Interesting point although it is questionable exactly WHO fired MLF.. I don't think it was Saleh but I do think he was under orders from above to find a way out for MLF. A way that left clean hands on ownership and the FO.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Not If he found peace with the fact that MLF has somewhere to go and knowing he will be fine, if not better. Getting away from here.

It curves the guilt In that scenario. Gives Saleh a way out.

Otherwise. I think he would have.

Especially if you listened to the way he talked about MLF the last two weeks of the year. No way did he want to fire him. Not a chance.

dmw likes this.
  4. bicketybam

So you think that Saleh is such a kind and loving person that he would let go of a guy he truly believes in and needs to be successful just because he wanted him to go to a better job and one was available? Puff puff pass

5. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Just logically, you start with natural ability, & go from there. Just don't f*ck with Mother Nature.
    Which is exactly what they did. Their job was to hone his natural ability, not neuter it.
    Knapp's statements about Zach being a point-guard, & him having wide-vision, yet as time went on, he seemed to go into a tunnel. That's on what he was being taught.
    As much as people like to say Zach sucks, etc, most of them ignore (conveniently) that Zach regressed from where he started with the Jets. And he especially regressed after the win over the Bills this season.
    While Zach was far from perfect in that game, he came out doing quick reads, played under-control, & showed confidence & real progress. Even taking that sack, on their winning drive to assure a FG, was growth... he showed discipline. I was ecstatic about that sack.
    I was so looking forward to the Pats game. I thought he'd take another baby step.
    But something changed during the bye. I have no idea what it was, but I suspect they drummed some new nonsense into his head. From there, Zach just vaporized... & the team followed suit.

Can't wait to see what great OC job MLF gets, after all those calls seeking his coaching expertise.

6. bicketybam

I think Zach Wilson needs to grow some facial hair. That will show some dedication.

cval and Nyjets4eva like this.
  7. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Is there a sorta kinda list floating around that has the people they are looking at for OC and staff? I know McVay gave permission for his coaching staff to find another job. I would love to snipe the Rams OC.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah... the Jets haven't had any success developing quarterbacks... maybe Pennington is the exception.
    Ryan Fitzpatrick had some success here... I doubt he did much listening to the coaches on how to play his game.

I don't know if Zach is salvageable at this point... but he certainly has the athletic ability... and his arm is top grade.

If I was Joe Douglas I'd bring in Derek Carr and let Zach learn under a guy that has proven to be physically & mentally
    tough while playing in the NFL.

SOJAZ and JetFanInNE like this.
  9. bicketybam

Zach would be learning for at least 4 more years.

10. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

at the rate that he’s playing prob more he can’t even hit a wide open bubble screen lol

11. Nyjets4eva

I wouldn’t mind KLiff K now that I think about it. I just don’t think he was ever a good HC candidate but a great offensive mind. I wouldn’t mind giving him the spot.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Ask yourself this: why would GW put out that quote:

"I seemed like [opponents] had an idea of what we were trying to do, and they did a good job of stopping us once they got the film together," Garrett Wilson said. "At the end of the year, it got real hard for us as an offense."

Mike could not adjust and hence became predictable. The slide started not when Breece and AVT got hurt. It started after the Chicago game really - 4 games later. As more and more tape became available, the more and more predictable the offense became with each game. Less adjustments. You can't absolve MILF from this, and GW's quote is damning. It's not unlike what he said about Zach, and he was right about him.

Now, do I think MILF could have improved? Maybe, it's not unreasonable to believe. That's why I was hesitant about wanting to let him go without knowing replacement and worrying replacement could be worse. But it is also possible we would have similar decline towards the later part of next year had he stayed. Maybe not to the same degree, but enough not to be able to realize full potential of the roster. I just don't believe letting him go was as obvious a mistake as you say. It it might turn out to be a right move depending on the replacement that we eventually get.

SOJAZ and Nyjets4eva like this.
  13. bicketybam

The Jets shouldn't even be running a bubble screen. He's doing them a favor.

14. Nyjets4eva

Guess that’s one way to look at it lol

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As Bickety said, if they bring in Carr, they've decided that Zach is NOT their FQB of the future because he would be "sitting and learning" for 4-5 more years barring injury to Carr.

If I were Douglas and Saleh, and I were hedging my bets, I'd try to bring in Brady for 1-2 years and let Zach sit and learn behind him. Failing getting Brady - IDK if Brady would even come to the Jets, or if his price would be too high - I'd get a proven vet like Geno or Jacoby Brisset, someone older but still capable of giving you a year or two, while at the same time someone who gives Zach a chance to beat him in a fair QB competition.

We'll see what their real commitment to Zach is when we see who they bring in.

SOJAZ and cval like this.
  16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I'm just putting this out there as a possibility. Maybe the Jets were talking about getting an experienced coach to help MLF and MLF didn't like the idea. Then he said, I have other options where I could be the OC without staff looking over my shoulder. And the Jets said: "Go for it!"

17. IIMeanDeanII

Yes.

I think he was pressured by Woody to let him go, MLF found an out, so It aligned.

Otherwise I do think he would've fallen on that sword.

I know you clearly don't smoke weed but you have a strong misconception of It.

I'm not In highschool anymore.

bicketybam likes this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

When you don't have the players to be more than one dimensional, you are going to be predictable. GW became the offense. Run game wasnt there. Other WR took longer to get open.

I see the pieces that were no longer there. I have watched before the injuries and after. It was night and day. Even with shotty and passive QB play.

Yeah. I get what he was saying. I also get that MLF didn't have very many options at that point.

#178 IIMeanDeanII, Jan 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Brady is a pipe dream... Derek Carr might be as well.
    ...and I'm not listening to @bicketybam on personnel moves!

I'm not betting that Zach will be ready to start any time soon.

We are way past due for competent quarterback play.
    With the talent we have on offense & defense the time is NOW.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I actually agree with you, except that I also hold MLF accountable for that lack of options. He adopted an offensive scheme that just wasn't well suited to the players he had - not just Zach, but the OL and at least some of the receivers. And I think - although I have no way of proving - that this contributed to the number of injuries, especially OL, that they had.

And by the time they got to Mike White Time, Zach had already been struggling and second guessing himself, and LaFleur had to limit the offense for that reason, and with White not being very mobile and not having great arm talent, plus the injuries already racked up, he had to limit the playbook even more. But IMO it all began with his insistence of adopting a scheme that really didn't work for the players he had.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.