The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If that's the criteria then get ready for the tear down next year.

2. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I was contemplating adding a version of that line at the end of my post but, I couldn't bring myself to face it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sadly, I think @BleedJetsGreen1981 is right. Fans are making lists of candidates with the most potential, quality or ability, but they really should be making a list of who is close friends with Saleh. That is who will be hired.

4. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

He has one year (2019) coaching (in the AAF) since 2011. No. Thanks.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, a possibility of Bevell is exactly why I am not celebrating MILF's departure, even though he was bad. You know who was worse as OC than MILF? Bevell. His most recent OC experience was with Jaguars in 2021, where led the worst offense in the league in points with Trevor Lawrence. MILF did better than that with Zach last year. To Bevell's credit, he was middle of the pack guy in Detroit and Seattle. Which is why QB coach/passing coordinator is a decent sport for him under a good offensive mind like McDaniel. But this may turn out to be not enough of an upgrade from MILF, or even a downgrade.

SOJAZ and Jets79 like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Because that's been so successful so far?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Guys we don’t know if the report is true or not. Let’s just hope they get a longer list of guys to talk to and don’t just look at one

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…I think MLF had a lot of room to grow and the results were terrible despite the injuries. I blame Zach for Zach more than I do MLF.

I’m just worried that if Woody is driving football decisions then we are well and truly fucked.

And I’m skeptical of who we are going to bring in…no thanks to Bevell…I’d rather have kept MLF…so it needs to be someone better than that

chandler likes this.
  9. Ralebird

There is no report, there is only conjecture. There's almost a dozen easy to find stories naming more than half a dozen guys. Why would anyone center on one guy this early?

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I miss the days when QB's called the plays.

11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I think we need to temper expectations on what is a 12 month OC gig with no QB.

It’s going to be an overpromoted QB coach or someone that works in HR for Applebees.

stinkyB likes this.
  12. Ralebird

Nobody's signing a one year contract.

13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Football coaches are egomaniacs. This concept or idea that an OC will be scared to sign here b/c Saleh may or may not be on the hotseat is so asinine and ridiculous. These guys all think they are the smartest guy in the room and have the utmost confidence in their ability to coach. There are only 32 of these positions in the NFL. Just Jets fans playing woe is me. Enough already.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

As long as he doesn’t want to bring in Wentz like he did with Colts. I would love to have Reich as Jets OC.

If Saleh is too threatened by having Reich be the OC then he should have been fired and a veteran HC like Reich should have been given an opportunity to coach again.

SOJAZ and cmcm750203 like this.
  15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Sounds about right man, however if it’s any comfort to the board, when doing research on Bevell, it came up that while in Seattle he was the one that did a ton of scouting on Russel Wilson and it was he that pushed for Wilson to be drafted.

Pete Carrol called it the “Bevell Project”.

16. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Yup, Bevell screams see ya later after next year to me. Hope I’m wrong.

17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I find all the Saleh ultimatums on here hilarious.

The Jets were awful before this season. Saleh has proven he is an elite defensive mind. All of these "let's hire someone and if we suck next year then we tear it down" or "if we suck next year then we have the retread OC take over as HC and can Saleh".

Do some of you hear yourselves? You act like the Jets are this smart franchise. The Jets ARE anything but. They have been the laughingstock of the league until Saleh brought some stability and now people around the league talk about the Jets as one of the up and coming teams in large part due to the defense that Saleh has built.

Yet if someone only read these boards and never watched the games, you would think that Saleh is just hanging on for the ride like some of the past coaches who have brought nothing to the table.

All of you pining for Saleh to be gone next year just remember that when he's gone and the defense goes back to anything but elite.

I for one see Saleh developing nicely into this role as HC of the team and his defensive pedigree speaks for itself.

He is two years in. This was a stellar year for his D. It wasn't a stellar year for some other facets of his HC ability but that takes time to develop and get a feel for.

Some of you need to pump the brakes and realize we are in a wayy better position than we were a year ago and that's in large part due to what Saleh brings to the team.

All of these "let's hire a retread OC" or "let's bring in a retread OC and if they suck next year then fire all of them" . WTF are you talking about? That makes no sense.

This team has direction for the first time in forever. The last thing the franchise needs is to go backwards again. Saleh is not the problem. The offense is the problem.

SOJAZ, Pepsiguy5, Nyjets4eva and 3 others like this.
  18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Nothing they do at OC matters if they don’t get the QB right.

Say what you want about MLF, but he got the worst QB play in the NFL. Some of that blame does fall on him.

Get the QB right and it literally doesn’t matter.

stinkyB and Red Menace like this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It's pretty hard to gameplan when the QB can't hit a 5 yard slant....

20. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Maybe we can have the Manning Bros be co-OCs and they could ManningCast their calls from the booth.

Mostly joking, but I'm sure that Woody would love the ratings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.