2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Drew Brees - 6'0".

As they say, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog".

But my point was all the Zach haters who have said he's too short would feast on a guy who is 5'11". And as an aside, by Combine time I bet Stetson grows at least an inch and adds 15 pounds.;)

Cman68 likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't think he's a better passer than Zach either.

bicketybam likes this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Hard NO to trading for Fields

he is not a good QB…he’s a great athlete and a great runner but he isn’t a real QB yet

maybe he’ll get there someday or maybe he gets hurt too much before he gets there…but there’s no way I’d trade a high pick for him

4. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

This is one of the most fascinating discussions/debates/arguments/brawls we've had in a while.

We've heard the name of every QB who will be or might be available this off-season, and we've even heard about standing pat with Wilson and White. People have made good cases for every one of these QBs, but each of them comes with significant red flags. Each alternative is boom or bust.

On this date next year, I have a feeling were going to be discussing one of two things: (1) The Jets' chances in their upcoming playoff game; or (2) who's going to replace Douglas and Saleh.

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think my ideal realistic QB room would be Carr/Garrapolo, Mike White, 3rd/4th round rookie.

I think the Jets are an immediate playoff with Carr/Garrapolo. White is a solid backup, and a rookie QB who will be given 2-3 years to develop.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No doubt about it!

My QB options are less thrilling:
    -Sign Jimmy G, Minshew, Mayfield, Darnold or Brissett. Let them compete with Zach in Training Camp. May the best QB win. That way, they can use their draft picks on other team needs instead of wasting them on QB.

On the other hand, if Joe Douglas really want to go ALL-IN and trade for Aaron Rodgers, I would be fine with it. I would not mind a risk on Jordan Love either.

My only worry is Douglas will use his Philly connection and sign Carson Wentz. I don't think that would go well.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He only missed one game due to injury. Last game he missed only because Chicago tanked, he was totally fine. As far as passing, yes he is not there yet, which is why it won't take arm an a leg to get him if Chicago thinks Young is Mahomes. With that said, his passer rating this year is same as Carr. And after 1st 6 games it is much better. And he didn't have Adams or any weapons really. Each of GW, Davis, and Moore would have been his #1 receiver. Plus he can get yards on the ground. With good targets like we have, he will run a lot less. He is a pass first QB who can run. Anyway, I don't think JD would do it because there is still risk there, while he is on a hot seat for 2023, and I don't think Chicago will make him available, but if it does happen, I believe with him we may have the answer at QB for a long term with 3 more years on rookie deal AND make play-offs next year.

EDIT: Oh, and in the event JD fucks up OLine again, like he did last 3 years, with Fields we would actually have a guy who CAN move the offense with his legs, even though it is not his preferred choice.

#127 Borat, Jan 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’ll just throw this out there - the handling of Wilson reeks of a power struggle within the organization. It’s not unheard of for this to happen with high draft picks but it is quite silly that it does happen since they are no longer paid like the days of Sam Bradford where a team literally has to play the guy.

I’m not saying White or Flacco were better but I have to imagine there have been very little signals over two years of training camp and practices that Wilson was ready to step in and be effective.

Either Saleh’s an absolute football moron or he had no choice but to start him every week until the pitch forks were out after the Patriots game.

9. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Jordan Love would be quite the interesting target. Outside of that, I think Garoppolo will be our main target, especially if MLF stays as there is a lot of familiarity with the system

PJ4Ever likes this.
  10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The decisions on who started and who was inactive simply cannot have been performance based, unless our guys are woefully inept at judging performance.

Br4d likes this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Agreed. I don't know if you call it a power struggle, but it is clear everyone is not on the same page anymore. You might be right that Zach showed very little signals of being effective in practice, but I still think it was agreed upon by everyone that 2021 was going to be a learning year. The disagreement began in 2022 when the defense started taking off and the offense (especially Zach) was not keeping up. The Front Office and Coaching staff need to get on the same page and quick though. Then attack the 2023 off-season with a unified vision.

Jets79 likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

There's only one Drew Brees and Zach ain't it...

westiedog1 likes this.
  13. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Beca
    Because ZW has an arm right?

14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

16. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

if he signs wentz, he should be fired before the ink is dry

17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

why do you think that? I don’t follow the Packers closely but I haven’t heard much of anything about Love…he hasn’t played much, but when he has I don’t think he’s lit anything up, has he?

my impression is that he’s not shown much of anything, but that’s just an impression as I haven’t actually seen him play.

does he have good tape on record?

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Wentz would be a hilarious addition to really make this ineptitude front and center.

19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I just don’t see Wentz as a real possibility

I think both Saleh and JD are going to feel the hot seat next year and they know a lot is riding on this QB situation. I just can’t see them banking on Wentz. I think they will go with a more credible upgrade that is a true upgrade and not just a signing. I think Jimmy G would fit that category, as would Carr. Minshew less so. Love? I don’t see it. You never know what can happen, especially after seeing the blockbuster trades last year, so it’s going to be very interesting to see what they do.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That would make Woody apoplectic. :)