Year End Grade: Mike LeFleur - OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your Year End Grade for MLF

1. A+ to A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B+ to B-

6.4%
  3. C+ to C-

28.2%
  4. D or below

65.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

The dude loses me here
    So he’s bottom third or worse? I assume this is independent of qb play as well, otherwise why even mention it. I think we can do better than bottom third OC

Ralebird and Nyjets4eva like this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The Nania article sums up my thoughts on LaFleur. There were open plays on Sunday which White couldn't take advantage of just like Zach didn't in the Foxboro game. But, there was a tendency to get cute near the goal line.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Which totally absolves LaFleur from any responsibility for which quarterback is on the field. Nania has also thrown in the lack of an effective run game only as an afterthought. That is almost totally LaFleur's responsibility which he has badly failed at. Nania's outlook changes like the wind.

#143 Ralebird, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  4. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

One of the biggest issues I have with MLF is the long routes combined with a bad oline. Doesn’t make sense.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Saw a report last night from Armando Salguero that if the Dolphins lose this weekend McDaniels is very much on the hot seat. If Saleh is forced to get rid of MLF, I could see him go right to McDaniels would to right into that OC job.

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

This is one of my biggest complaints. I'm not on the fire LaFleur bandwagon - it's hard to make an offense look good with such poor QB play coupled with crappy OL play and major injuries - but he has his faults and this is one of them. I was jealous watching the Jaguars run quick play after quick play so successfully a couple weeks ago..

Short of a Harbaugh or Sean Payton coming through the door, I'm giving this CS another year. LaFleur's offense has looked very good for many stretches over the past couple years.

Let's get some competent QB play, OL upgrades, Breece Hall back, and another year to see how LaFleur and the CS grows. I have my concerns about them, but not necessarily fireable offenses and I'm sick of constant turnover of coaches and OCs.

7. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

hypothetically, if the dolphins were to fire him (which is laughable imo) I'd be on the phone with him seeing what it'd take to bring him here. I believe McDaniels was the run game coordinator for the 49ers when MLF was the pass game coordinator (and they made the SB). If we could get them on the same offensive staff that would be a helluva haul.

Still a pipe dream though

8. dawinner127

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He takes the time to bring up Jordan Love.. hmmmmm

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  10. dawinner127

I think he is so gone and he knows it already.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Kind of annoying to admit that now when many fans have been saying it since Day 1 last year. Not only was throwing him into the fire ridiculous, they did it with him not having a solid veteran back-up QB to learn from either. It was awful and any person who understands football could see that. I thought Zach would be strong enough and talented enough to overcome it. Late in the year it looked like he did. This year showed he did not. Very disappointing.

I don't think you talk this way unless you've already been told you are going to be fired. Sounds like MLF knows he is gone on Monday.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That’s crazy yeah sounds like a man who knows he’s done

13. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

yep, he's gone.

next hire is critical because we can do far worse than him & if they do this whole regime (JD + Saleh) will be rightfully fired

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Anyone has a link to the interview? Want to watch in context before deciding whether is a goner.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

They would be crazy to let LeFleur walk the plank when there's a far better alternative to explore. Demote MLF back to his old position as pass game coordinator and hire a vet OC to come in and do the game planning. MLF is great at scheming guys open on pass plays but sucks at getting into the endzone. That's where the new OC (Frank Reich) comes in and gameplans for the entire offense with an attack in mind.

16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I would be shocked If he was fired and It would set us back ultimately.

Careful what you wish for Jet fans.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  17. burf

burf Well-Known Member

At the very least, MLF is showing signs of life. To me, he's never been the OC of the Jets. Other than designing some good plays, he's never dealt with his other responsibilities. And that's obviously, on him, but it's also on Saleh for being so hands-off with the offense. Even something like: He designs a good play, but the players aren't executing. He keeps calling it, & they still fail to execute. At some point, ya have to go with the players ya have, & have to try something that utilizes the players' skillset. MLF wasn't & still isn't ready to be OC, if he ever will be.
    I don't know if he's gone, which I hope for an experienced OC, but at the very least, he needs to bring in an experienced QB guy, & someone who can help him call plays, because he's weak in situational awareness, ie: calling plays/formations at opportune times.
    He's saying Zach should've been on the bench from the outset, so he could learn. To me, it's obvious MLF should've been on the bench, learning his job, before assuming the responsibilities of an OC.
    MLF's presser today...

#157 burf, Jan 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I don't understand something. According to what I've been reading, the Jets did little to support ZW when he started playing. They threw a complicated offensive scheme at him right off the bat and didn't try to make it simple for him in any way. After Knapp was tragically killed, they didn't get ZW a coach until the middle of the season. It would have been more effective to immediately replace Knapp with someone who could help ZW and also to make the playbook simple for him at the start. That just seems like common sense. How can NFL coaches get to this level with such a lack of common sense? I don't get it.

19. burf

burf Well-Known Member

And to take your point further, who was his QB coach this season? Another novice, with only 2 years NFL experience, as a quality-control coach... and no QB development experience. To me, there's something wrong with the organization. JD has a hands-off approach with Saleh. Saleh has a hands-off approach with the offense.
    MLF has a hands-off approach to his responsibilities, other than designing pass plays.
    And on all levels, everyone is inexperienced in their positions. With everyone's job on the line, the next few weeks should be interesting, how things play out from the top down.

As an aside regarding what MLF said today... I think their thinking in starting Zach from the outset, without a vet in-house, was related to the team being bad, & they imagined Zach & the CS would learn & grow up together. And when the young players from this past draft performed better than expected, it shined a spotlight on their flawed thought process on Zach. Of course, this is obvious speculation, but it makes sense to me seeing the other missteps they've made.

#159 burf, Jan 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    ColoradoContrails and dmw like this.
  20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Good points burf. They really screwed this up. Saleh should have hired an experienced OC and made sure there was ALWAYS someone on staff to develop ZW. You don't need to have football experience to understand that.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.