Year End Grade: Robert Saleh - Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your grade?

1. A+ to A-

1.4%
  2. B+ to B-

21.8%
  3. C+ to C-

49.3%
  4. D or Lower

27.5%
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The next Jet collapse will be Saleh's last as HC of the NYJ's. He'll get '23-24 to prove his vision of the Jets is the right one. Time is not his friend even though he might believe that.

ColoradoContrails and cmcm750203 like this.
  2. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I think 2 (and maybe 1) are the big issues here. I seriously doubt Payton cares about the scrutiny considering he was connected to the Cowboys when it looked like McCarthy might bite it (and if they flame out in the playoffs again I think this convo might be re-opened). The Cowboys get far more scrutiny, and at a national level, than we do.
    I can see the scrutiny thing applying more to Harbaugh than Payton. He’s basically mini Parcells (or at least he was when he first started making a name for himself in NO).

3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I knew there would be a lot of venting in these kind of threads, but frankly kind of shocked at the degree of vitriol for Saleh and others.

Clear progress based on record and stats. We had massive disruption on O-line, loss of a star-in-the-making RB, and by many accounts the worst QB situation

We are headed in the right direction.

Jets79 and MoWilkBeast like this.
  4. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I don't have many problems with Saleh. He had a couple of clock management gaffes this year, but by in large, I thought he managed the clock pretty well.

I don't like getting into the whole "didn't have the team ready" thing. Its completely unquantifiable, and at the end of the day, the Jets did a lot better than fan expectations. Obviously expectations change over the course of the year, so I don't want to make it seem like he did a miraculous job, I certainly don't think he held the team back.

He's great with the media, he's been great with the defense, and everyone seems to love him. I thought he's been great with the locker room considering there were two trade requests.

The offense was a work in progress, and needs to step up. If you're one of those people that hates Lafleur, than that absolutely falls on Saleh. It was his job to hire the offensive staff. I'm slightly more inclined to blame bad QB play. At the end of the day, if the offense doesn't improve, the Jets will probably clean house anyway.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I agree. I don’t think Payton or Harbaugh care as much about scrutiny and what not. Payton even less so because he’s probably a HOF coach if he never coaches again.

I think they both look at how much control over personnel they will have, what the cap situation and assets are like and are they going to let me throw a bunch of resources at getting a QB quickly.

NYJetsO12 and cmcm750203 like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I did predict the Jets to go (10-7) this year and make the playoffs. That was on me, I guess. Except it is not. That was a realistic prediction and 11 games in, looked very strong. Then the team fell a part.

I never pounded the table for anyone to be fired. All I said was I have lost confidence in the coaching staff, which is 100% true. A collapse like this is unacceptable, potentially losing your final 6 games after starting (7-4). I could understand if the entire coaching staff was fired. I can't go into 2023 expecting them to do well. Same with Zach Wilson. I hope they do, but I am much less optimistic.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

its all good TDK. How much blame do you give Joe Douglas for the collapse?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Love this, good communication and space for players to ask questions.

9. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I like Saleh overall. The blind loyalty thing is a bit annoying but hopefully that’s just media morsels and behind closed doors it’s different.

I do think there is a better chance than a lot of people think that he’s fired though. There have been quite a few Woody didn’t hire Saleh and isn’t enamored with him tweets in recent weeks. I just hope it doesn’t wind up being a rash decision where we hire another no experience guy or a previous failure like Gase if it does happen. Knowing Woody that’s exactly what will happen though.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Not much. He put together a playoff caliber roster. Injuries hurt. Zach Wilson not playing up to his ability hurt. I think Joe has done a great job. Probably my biggest problem with him is the back-up QB position. He did not handle it right in 2021 and clearly did not in 2022 either. It is important to have a good back-up QB who can come in and win you games. Flacco went (1-2), and Mike White is now at (1-3). Not good enough. Unfortunately Joe Douglas might not have a QB1 or a QB2 on the roster headed into 2023, so he needs to work on that position for sure!

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Cool I disagree on JD but I'll save it for a different thread

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It's not a playoff caliber roster if your QB isnt worth a shit ;)

Ralebird likes this.
  13. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

They were moving in the right direction for about half the season. You can’t discount the late season collapse and team not being prepared and motivated. The players themselves have no urgency and admitted to coming out flat. Some of that falls on the coach and makes it hard for anyone to say this season was a success.

burf and Since1969 like this.
  14. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

That is a glass half full way to look at it and it is probably more accurate than the overtly negative and reactionary replies in this thread. It's hard for a lot of people to look at it that way when things seemed so much better when we were sitting at 6-3 or 7-4.

15. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I'll give him one thing, which a lot of fans think/hope is BS... I just watched today's presser.
    On Zach, he says he's gonna "grind it out" with him. For the zillionth time, I didn't want them to draft Zach, & was constantly negative on him... that said, he's still 23, probably as young as some QBs that'll be drafted in April. My opinion of Zach as a person has changed, after the demotion, & his dumb presser comments in NE.
    He's been pretty transparent about his struggles since, & reminded me he's just a kid, under tremendous pressure. I've gained some respect for him, as he stood there after the Jax game, & being booed off the field, & showed a level of maturity I didn't think he had. So, whereas I was a big critic, I'm really pulling for the kid now. And I give Saleh credit for putting himself out there, & standing by the kid.
    The question is, will Saleh back up his supportive words, by bringing in an experienced mentor for Zach, or just continue with his clueless current "mentors?" This'll tell me if Saleh is capable of learning/adjusting, or if he really is the Mr know-it-all demigod, he often appears to be.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am done with Salehs no care attitude which was present during loss at Seattle

All the players picked up on that ..make sense ?
    JD hired him so he is a waste too

out of mulligans .,sorry

this is just Bowles Mac redux pass hire for next year
    .. I don’t see t trusting them

#236 NYJetsO12, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  17. NYJetsO12

you guys want this ..Again??? Lmao

so angry I replied to own post ..smh

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

To me this question (bold) will answer whether Saleh can be the long term answer at HC for the Jets or not. The failure to develop Zach - and no, I'm not excusing Zach's failures that he needs to fix himself - is the main, actually only, reason, I'd be in favor of replacing Saleh at this point. He was given a QB who was rated very highly, not only by the Jets, but by many in the football world, and it was incumbent on Saleh tp assemble a plan and a staff to make sure that QB succeeded. He hasn't. If it takes firing MLF and hiring an experienced, successful OC, or a more effective QB Coach, or whatever, that's what Saleh has to do (or get JD to do). Or, tell Douglas to trade him and give him an experienced, winning QB to replace him. If neither of these things happen, I don't see Saleh lasting past next season.

burf likes this.
  19. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Yes but every team goes through stuff like that. We also should keep sight of the fact that every team in our division (who we play twice) is now good. It was bad enough when the Pats were dominant and you could almost guarantee those two loses. But now we have a potential dogfight or uphill battle with them all

We were playing with a 5th string tackle for part of the year. Practice Squad RB for the latter part of the year

it's frustrating as hell to have had the season turn around after a promising first half, but I'm super excited about what THIS team can do in the future with THIS CS and FO.

Imagine what we can do with a reasonably reliable QB (whoever that might end up being)? If we establish the O-Line so someone like Uzi can actually run some more routes. With B.Hall back

20. NYJetsO12

yeah only if these clowns are back!!

Gut says Woody might replace Saleh or Douglas

Personally I hope Johnson opens a can of whoopass

His patience might be wearing thin
    Listen CC Douglas was crafty asking for 6 fuckin years so that if he’s canned for failure early the Johnson still gotta pay him a few more years

lmao.

.Shocked that you don’t see Salehs failure here after 2 years!! Unfortunately not the answer as HC imo