The New "Tuck Rule"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fenwyr, Jan 9, 2007.

1. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Here's your first post in this thread.

"this thread is so ridiculous it borders on trolling. you should be banned just for starting this thread."

How am I supposed to respond to that? Should I have sent you flowers and candy?

2. baamf

baamf Active Member

I think we can all agree on that one....

3. BxJetFan

BxJetFan New Member

Come on man. It's a backward pass. Even if madden if you throw to the running back and he hasn't cross the plane it is a fumble as well. Let it be.

4. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

fenwyr = Buttle reincarnated

5. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I understand your point, but in real time it was not obviously a lateral. My only argument is that in a close game, on a close call (remember real time) it should have been an incompletion. At least make the Pats challenge it. I just have never seen a ball tipped in that situation called a fumble without review. I hate baseball, but it almost seems like a "tie goes to the runner" sort of issue.

I could let it be, but there isn't much else to talk about.:)

6. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

You're yet to explain why these two things should happen. Why should a ref blow a play dead because he thinks its a fumble? That would've meant that
    A. they got hte call wrong and
    B. The pats wouldn't be able to challenge it.

And as to why they can't advance it--why? The whistle was not blown, the play was life. Should Cotchery have been marked down on that play against the pats earlier when he bounced off the Pats player on the ground because it LOOKED like he had hit the ground? No, because he wasn't.

The play was called right. The only thing wrong with the play was the Jets.

7. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

What the hell's the point of that? You used to be one of the biggest trolls on this board until you toned down. Do you really have the right to hurl insults?

8. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

While I appreciate the now noninflamatory change of pace, I'm outta here after this post anyway because I just don't do well with repetetive, incorrect, illogical threads for any length of time.

Your opinion is that the call should have been an incomplete pass. Your opinion is that "the ball was on it's way up, period." While I appreciate your opinion, this is not what I saw. Unless there's something else to talk about, I'm moving onto something else.

9. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I'll agree on one thing. Turd Furgeson part deux really screwed the pooch on that play, and to be honest, sucked for the entire game. Did anyone else notice our LT looked like an undersized TE?

10. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

Okay, but I still want to know why it should've been called incomplete or not allowed to advance. Where in the rulebook is that stipulated.

11. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I wish one of the more tech inclined guys could post a video of that play. I watched it many times, and still swear it was on it's way up. If it was in fact on it's way down I may reconsider my position.

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

irrelevent to the dynamics of the rule. it has to do with which direction the ball is traveling, forwards or backwards, not whether it was on its ascent or descent.
    and if replay showed it was traveling backwards, it is only logical to deduce that a ref standing right next to it was able to see it going backwards live even if someone watching on tv was not.
    pure opinion. you don't have any idea what the players can hear or not. fact is, they seemed to hear the whistle fine the rest of the game, and at the end of that play when it was finally blown, disputing your opinion which only serves to validate your position but has no basis in reality or what actually occured.
    which is completely different from a play in which the WR is clearly standing behind the QB and the ball clearly travels backwards, which is what occured.

13. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

The point of it is I've never seen anyone argue against incontrovertible video proof as long as you two have. I'd say you're the one trolling here.

14. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Because I've never seen a pass on it's way UP tipped and called a fumble. With replay, you can judge the ball was likely 1 yard behind the point of the throw. In real time though the ball is swatted almost immediately. That's an incomplete pass every time, no?

15. JetBlue

you see, this is your problem. it does not matter whether the ball was going up or down. why you keep arguing this is beyond me. it is wrong. a pass is a pass, forward or backwards, whether it is ascending or descending.

16. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

Only because basically every time its going forward. This time the ball was travelling backwards. It was pretty clear, and I'm sure the ref had a good view of it.

17. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

This may outdo junc as far as arguing to the end no matter how wrong you are.

18. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

This is the greatest thread ever.

19. JetBlue

only if it is a forward pass. it doesn't matter that you couldn't tell in real time that it was backwards and are dependent upon replay, the ref could tell in real time that it was backwards. as you admit, even in replay, it was a backwards pass, which makes it a fumble. this is not the same as a foward pass that is tipped. why you are attempting to say they are the same, despite the rules that clearly state they are not, is astounding.

your only defense at this point is that a backwards pass should be an incomplete pass if tipped if fenwyr can't tell in real time that it wasn't backwards. hardly a rule the NFL should abide to unless you are going to ref every NFL game.

20. baamf

baamf Active Member

No it's not. I've seen the greatest threads a million times and they never looked like this. Have you ever seen a greatest thread go up like this???? I've been to a million message boards and visually studied countless threads and I've never seen a thread like this considered the greatest thread ever. Have you actually seen every thread ever? Probably not, but please show me another case of a greatest thread ever that looks like this. Greatest threads ever do not ascend then descend, they are always lateraled. Jeez, some people....

:smile: